Aspiration

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If this is in the wrong are please move to where you think it would best be served. Maybe with enough feedback this can become a sticky as well.

Ok, we all know why we aspirate. To prevent from injecting directly into a vein. When injecting into a vein or artery we can do two things

1. Inject oil/hormone directly in to vessel
2. Inject air directly in to vessel

Either of these two things can, in certain circumstances, lead to death. Most likely you will just feel like total shit almost instantly.

I have seen several questions related to aspiration in the chatbox as well as problems that were traced to the technique of the aspiration. One of our brothers was having a decent amount of bruising after every pin that left a small lump and tenderness for a few days at the injection site. After myself and gymrat talked to him a bit, we had him explain his injection protocol. He said that he was pinning with a 1.5" 23g and when he would go to aspirate he would pull on the plunger and attempt to get air bubbles in the syringe. The problem with this is that there isn't any air in the muscle to form bubbles. It was my belief that this individual was pulling so hard on the plunger when aspirating that this is when the tissue damage would occur. He did say that he would get a tiny amount, a few drops at most, of blood during the aspiration. I told him that when aspirating it does not take hardly any movement of the plunger to generate enough vacuum to indicate if a vessel was hit. So any movement that you can feel on the plunger is more than enough even if it is barely noticable. He tried this on his next pin and had absolutely no bruising or tenderness afterwards.

So when pulling the plunger back to aspirate, you need to move it as little as possible. IF YOU CAN FEEL THE PLUNGER MOVE IT WAS ENOUGH. If no blood, pin that shit.

I know there are a lot of seasoned vets here but there is always room for improvement and there is always the newbie who is somewhat scared to ask some of these questions and I know that the majority, if not all, of us are more than happy to lend advice to anybody based on our knowledge.

Lulu66

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You hit it dead on. Bruicing is the result of nickin/perforating a vein with the needle. It happens, no big deal.

Cobra Strike

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Actually when you aspirate while not in a vein you should see a bubble form in the syringe. Also I want to add that it is perfectly fine to inject air into a vein. The only time it is dangerous is if you have a pre existing medical condition....in that case it can develop a P.E...aka pulmonary embolus. If you are not sick you can actually inject 10ml+ of air IV and be fine...so don't freak out over air in the syringe...in fact I actually leave a bubble in my syringe when I inject because it helps push all the gear out of the syringe into your muscle

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Exactly Lulu but in this case he was not knicking/perforating the vessel but the vacuum from pulling the plunger back so far was actually damaging the vessel and tissue.

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Actually when you aspirate while not in a vein you should see a bubble form in the syringe. Also I want to add that it is perfectly fine to inject air into a vein. The only time it is dangerous is if you have a pre existing medical condition....in that case it can develop a P.E...aka pulmonary embolus. If you are not sick you can actually inject 10ml+ of air IV and be fine...so don't freak out over air in the syringe...in fact I actually leave a bubble in my syringe when I inject because it helps push all the gear out of the syringe into your muscle

True Cobra. I was just listing the extreme. probably should have said that that was only in extreme circumstances.

grind4it

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey Creekrat, is that Mrs Creekrat in your avi? If so, way to go. She's hot. If not, you have good taste. Either way, thanks for sharing.

BTW, great post man.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i love when this topic comes up, as we all know cashout, his family has been in the medical field most of their lives, and he said u dont even need to aspirate,

but in the case of extreme newbees, id say do it,

i have 2 seperate pamphlets cashout has sent to me,

but i cant load shit onto this board unless it is like 1 kb or i would load the pamphlets for all to see, sorryView attachment ToAspirateorNottoAspirate-ThatistheQuestion.pdf

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem too till I had my wife do all my pinnin, I was tryin to pull on syringe and the vacuum so tough that i would pull to c if I would get bubbles or blood and it was a bitch. I might have also been damaging tissue too. To pinn left delt I was good but to do my right delt with my left hand was just crazy hard then I tried to pinn my ass and I just had a hard time to aspirate, of course i took all precautions to make sure I follow by procedure, but aspirating was a bitch so I just told my wife To help me.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
glad you posted this. needed info for some.

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey Creekrat, is that Mrs Creekrat in your avi? If so, way to go. She's hot. If not, you have good taste. Either way, thanks for sharing.

BTW, great post man.

My avi is Mrs creekrat and she is pre tummy tuck and boob job in that pic. Now she is wanting to make a career change and become a licensed nutritionist and personal trainer. She is going for the fitness model look for herself. Unlucky guy I know.....NOT

Shane1974

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I am the newb with bruises! And thanks to Creek and Gymrat, I figured it out. I was aspirating too aggressively. I now pull back enough to see no blood, and inject. I don't force a bubble into the syringe, I am experiencing no more lumps and no more bruising. My wife, an RN, says I probably don't need to aspirate, especially in the glute. She is probably right....but I gave her the 'ole, "Look...you take care of all the girl shit (clothes,ironing,supper,etc.) and I'll take care of all the important shit (muscle building drugs,Texas Hold 'em, money, etc).

Tilltheend

Banned
Reaction score
Aspirating is very important, I always make sure I aspirate.

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I aspirate at some sites some I don't.

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Aspirating hurts more than pinning IMO... my wife aspirates when she shoots my glutes. I do NOT aspirate quads or Delts... I may die from it some day but fuck it. Trying to aspirate my quads and delts is like trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose... if I stick it and its not bleeding I am pushing it.

JOMO

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Aspirate on all sites. Never had a prob but never have drew blood as of yet.

chicken wing

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I aspirate every time. Never drew blood but some blood would come out sometimes after pulling out the pin

Lulu66

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I pinned on a vain once and it straigh upp sucked... Within seconds of starting injecting i got an uncontrollable cough, tasted the gear in my mouth and started to get light headed and naucea. This lasted bout an hour, and i only pinned like .25ml if that on the vain before pulling out...always aspirate...

username1

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i had stopped aspirating for a while when all the talk about it not being necessary was going around, but it just didn't feel right so i continued doing it, then one day i aspirated and the syringe filled with blood. not being a medical professional myself i dont' feel i'm qualified to, not aspirate and clearly if I had not that day i would have probably injected in a vein.

username1

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Aspirating hurts more than pinning IMO... my wife aspirates when she shoots my glutes. I do NOT aspirate quads or Delts... I may die from it some day but fuck it. Trying to aspirate my quads and delts is like trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose... if I stick it and its not bleeding I am pushing it.

how hard are you pulling on the plunger? you don't have to pull on it hard, actually you should not be pulling on it hard at all or it will create a vaccum. you're supposed to barely pull on it, if you're in a vein, it will fill the syringe with blood instantly. you shouldn't feel anything at all when you aspirate, no idea how you're doing it if you feel pain from it but, it can't be right.