Getting stronger..I need to be careful!

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Currently, 300mg test cyp. 225mg mast a week, 6 weeks in. My strength, although relative, is definately increasing. I know this a young man's game when risking damage to tendons, ligaments, and joints. I haven't been able to train biceps heavy for a long time due to bad tendonitis. My bench is up max. 315, heavy for me, but hurts my shoulder so I'll back down to 275 for reps. Incline db presses 85-100lbs, I'm droppin back down to 80lbs cause something starting to hurt! Shoulders db presses at 80lb and I can go heavier, but I don't think I will. Triceps feel good with nose breakers at 95lbs. Leg routine is conservative, not pushing it. Pull downs ok at 230lbs but hand strength is lacking. All excersizes based on 10-13 reps. Leaving out a few, just mentioning primary groups. I remember in my early 20s is was all about weight, weight, weight! It's hard not to get caught up in it when your making good gains. At 43 I need to be smarter...lol

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
im in the same boat but im 28 and very very bad shoulders and back from hockey injuries. So i keep things on the lower end as well. you do need to keep in mind this isnt a contest, its about building your body. and you dont need to go that heavy in order to put on good muscle. the rep ranges your at are very good IMO..... enough where you get a good pump, still quite heavy, but still light enough where you could prolly do 15-17 reps if you maxed it. a precise balance.

So stay smart old man, you ll be kickin guys like me in the butt all the way to 50....

trim

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Something that has really helped my hand strength is getting a pair of club bells. They are killer for forearms and hand strength

grind4it

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I hate to sound like a bitch, but be carful bro. Your throwing some serious iron for the 40+ croud.
I have a bad left shoulder, tendinitis and a bad left ancle all of which are sports related.

Last December a buddy of mine who is 45 tore his Tricep and was out for 6 weeks and then when came back he was on lite duty until June. I would see him every morning going to spin class....looking ashamed.
In January I was leg pressing 1000 lbs (reping) and developed a deep bruise of the miniscus (spelling). My Dr treated me like his bitch when I told him how I did it. I couldnt work legs for three months and I am just now back to reping 600 lbs my legs look like shit.
when i played football i brusied my miniscus (oposite knee) and was out for one month and it took three months to complete heal. It takes longer to heal over 40.

I think your smart backing off the weight. Lets face it the pro BB don't rep heavy for a reason; unless the cameras are on.

Just my two cents

Lulu66

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Try taking some fish oil, it does wonders for my joints... But smart move not pushing your joints if it doesnt feel right.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem Pro, I only knew one way to lift. I would take a break from weights and come back and hurt something. I got some advice from a friend. I concentrated on doing body weight stuff before my weight routine. It got my core back strong as hell. Try it you ll like it.

Hindu squats with 1-2lb dumbells is a bitch if you do like 100 or so (its hell on your shoulders)
Hand stands/presses.

My shoulders got stout as hell and no more injuries now I throw around 300+ on bench and dont worry.

Try it.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well OP I would start by saying that at your age, or any age its nice to see that kind of passion... I will however say this...

BODYBUILDERS USE SHITTY FORM

You guys don't bench right, you squat like shit. There are exceptions of course, but because you don't put yourself into a mechanically advantageous position to lift, you wind up with the chronic and nagging tendon and joint issues.

Powerlifters get injured too of course. But our injuries are more traumatic and acute. Torn muscles, broken bones...

So... Learn to use better form and you'll avoid many of these things.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
yep, I got over feeling the need to go heavy as I have shoulder joint issues also :(

Live2Train

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I had to give up flat bench for a while if not forever. I was benching 315 for 4 sets of 10 at 215 lbs after I had surgery on both shoulders and felt great. I got my max up to 425 and then my rotator cuff started hurting like hell, so I gave it up. I can still do decline, which I never used to do, but I want to do some form of bench and I can do incline with dumbbells. I still go pretty heavy on both and the shoulder bothers me a little afterwards, but I push through it and it seems to go away within a few days. I have to be honest with you though, I would stick more in the 8-10 rep range. You need to be going to failure if you want to grow. If you're in this to maintain that's a different story, but for growth you need to tear the muscle fibers down real good and you aren't going to do that by doing sets of 10 reps that you can actually do for 15+ reps. I don't claim to know everything, but I have been doing this for many years and have trained a lot of guys. I have trained a lot of people that have hit sticking points in their growth and when I introduced them to my way of training and routine, they were able to make gains that they never thought they would make and in pretty short amounts of time as well. Of course, be careful and use good form, I by no means am trying to get anyone here hurt. My goal is to keep everyone in the gym, and to help them get the most out of the experience. Keep up the good work ccpro!

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Flat Bench Sucks.... don't get me started.

Do floor presses to save your shoulders. It is what it sounds like.

Lay on the floor under the barbell (smith machine or squat rack works great for this). The trick is you cannot get your elbows lower (behind) your shoulders because of the ground so you are working the range that is both safest for your shoulders and what is usually the weakest area of the pushing motion of the bench press.

Personally I like using dumbbells but make certain to keep your elbows tight in to your sides if you decide to use the dumbbells.

Best of luck bro,
Vette

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
well i don't believe in lifting heavy at my age

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I hear you on wanting to go heavy. It's very hard for me to resist increasing the weights. Over the summer I was doing DL's trying to hit my goal of 500 DL. I worked my way up to 455lbs, but I realized that my form went to shit while getting it up. That was enough to scare me away from trying to hit 500lbs... for now anyway. I'll resume my DL's soon but hang around 315 for reps. I have not done a flat barbell bench in years. I stick with DB's b/c I feel a better range of motion & if I get in trouble I can always drop the fuckers & not get hurt.

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yesterday was chest day went to fb dumbells 70, 80, 90, 100lbs, felt great. A little shaky on form but strength was there...no problem. Incline hammer strength 4-45lbs of 4 sets of 8. Then cable flys to failure. Arms today, crazy pump on triceps. The mast makes you hard as a rock, wish it lasted after the pump! I'm getting more mast! Put on 5lbs...shit!

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yesterday was chest day went to fb dumbells 70, 80, 90, 100lbs, felt great. A little shaky on form but strength was there...no problem. Incline hammer strength 4-45lbs of 4 sets of 8. Then cable flys to failure. Arms today, crazy pump on triceps. The mast makes you hard as a rock, wish it lasted after the pump! I'm getting more mast! Put on 5lbs...shit!

Hell yea bro.... that's what I'm talking about!

Christosterone

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Work your rotator cuff muscles (standing elbow at side forearm perpendicular internal and external rotating (2 diff exercises) will help strengthen your shoulder, but start light like 20 lbs on cable and go slow

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Work your rotator cuff muscles (standing elbow at side forearm perpendicular internal and external rotating (2 diff exercises) will help strengthen your shoulder, but start light like 20 lbs on cable and go slow

That's excellent advice. ^^^^^^

I would also be careful with reverse grip curls and hammer curls.. regardless of what you can do on low reps, start light on those with higher reps and slowly build weight or prepare for tennis elbow and a host of small injuries to those tendons and ligaments you are rightfully concerned with.

Mast is good shit. I love it with tren or just an ass load of test with it.

Looking swole bro!
Vette

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

This ^^^^ I do it before every shoulder workout now :)

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah i am starting up again and need to do dc shoulder stretches along with the internal and external rotator stuff myself, sucks but has to be done, another big thing to look at is the way one warms up,

When i trained with Iron addict (wesley) (RIP) he had an awesome way to warm up, when i get home ill look it up and post his way one should warm up,

Also body weight exercises are also awesome as someone mentioned on here earlier!

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Shoulders are crazy, I have to limit myself. They are probably the strongest muscles I have. DB presses 4 x 12 @70lbs, seated cable presses 4 x 12@ 120-140lbs, hammer strength presses 4x12 @180lbs. Upright rows 4x12 @70lbs. Seated side lateral raises (machine) 4x12@60lbs. I don't go any heavier or something starts to hurt. I started the rotator cuff exercises...feels good. I feel like everytime I do incline for chest my shoulders take over, hence...small chest, little upper! I alternate press movements every couple of weeks.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That's excellent advice. ^^^^^^

I would also be careful with reverse grip curls and hammer curls.. regardless of what you can do on low reps, start light on those with higher reps and slowly build weight or prepare for tennis elbow and a host of small injuries to those tendons and ligaments you are rightfully concerned with.

Mast is good shit. I love it with tren or just an ass load of test with it.

Looking swole bro!
Vette

i do mine with free weights, i really warm them up well. it makes a difference.

New Threads