Thread: The New Math

Thanks
    Thanked 6,991 Times in 2,995 Posts

The New Math

I think our schools public and private are failing our kids.

When I was in school we learned one subject like multiplication and drilled it until we got it down. Then we moved on to divide and then fractions.

Not now, the curriculum is a shot gun approach and the cover a little bit of everything. Teaching to the test and learning the fundamentals of nothing. I spend alot of time every night going over the basics of reading, language, and math to my kids.

In Asia they teach the fundamentals of every dicipline, including school. Even my kids teachers acknowlage curriculum is all over the place and thats the way it is.

We wonder why our kids are blown away by kids from other countries that understand the subjects better that they do.

I found a tutor that is helping the kids with an fundamental approach to math and reading and they are doing much better because they understand the foundation of the dicipline.

Our educators need to put ego asside and look at the possiblility that this is a mistake. Evaluate it and have the courage to admit it and change it. Our kids would learn alot more from that then having a strike in the streets.

Thanks

Re: The New Math

Originally Posted by BigGameHunter View Post
    I think our schools public and private are failing our kids.

When I was in school we learned one subject like multiplication and drilled it until we got it down. Then we moved on to divide and then fractions.

Not now, the curriculum is a shot gun approach and the cover a little bit of everything. Teaching to the test and learning the fundamentals of nothing. I spend alot of time every night going over the basics of reading, language, and math to my kids.

In Asia they teach the fundamentals of every dicipline, including school. Even my kids teachers acknowlage curriculum is all over the place and thats the way it is.

We wonder why our kids are blown away by kids from other countries that understand the subjects better that they do.

I found a tutor that is helping the kids with an fundamental approach to math and reading and they are doing much better because they understand the foundation of the dicipline.

Our educators need to put ego asside and look at the possiblility that this is a mistake. Evaluate it and have the courage to admit it and change it. Our kids would learn alot more from that then having a strike in the streets.
    It seems, like you said, the kids are getting a crash course in every subject in school and then expected to "really" learn it at home! My 6th grader has a min. of 2hrs of hw every night, it's a good thing he's smart because at this point he's learning shit that I was never exposed to. My wife is brutal on our kids when it comes to school, I can't them imagine doing that well if the parents aren't involved.
    I hear in China kids are doing homework for 6hrs and forming their own workgroups after school, studying in McDonalds till 10 at night. Our kids are very spoiled and I'd be a hypocrite to say I haven't contributed to it!

Thanks

Yes my kids are spoiled too. But education is not something we are going to settle on. Our kids accept it and embrace it. Its jus the approach at the school is flawed.

Thanks

"No child left behind"... Slow the average kids down to let the dummies get passing grades.. That way everyone is a winner yay!! Frickin ridiculous!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Gump your right, my little girl is special needs and we tried public school for her. No child left behind had good intentions at first but they were just passing her to the next grade weather she met the IEP guidelines or not. It got so bad the IEPs were dont at the end of the year. Why? So the goals wouldnt have to be set or met. Its like oh well Dad shes here and were all trying. Its bullshit kids should be challenged to excel regardless of their disposition.

Shes in a good private school now but I still got my eye on them too.

Thanks

Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
    "No child left behind"... Slow the average kids down to let the dummies get passing grades.. That way everyone is a winner yay!! Frickin ridiculous!!!!!!!!
    This is it right here! The incentive to strive is removed.

I played soccer when I was a kid.....when we lost a game we got nothing, we won we got pizza. We went to the Championships.

Now the losing team gets a trophy. ****ing makes me sick.
    Thugs
    Don't
    Matter