Sub-Q Testosterone Injections (study)

Supra

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Got this today from Michael Scally:

Subcutaneous Administration Of Testosterone

Al-Futaisi AM, Al-Zakwani IS, Almahrezi AM, Morris D. Subcutaneous administration of testosterone . A pilot study report. Saudi Med J 2006;27(12):1843-6

OBJECTIVE: To investigate the effect of low doses of subcutaneous testosterone in hypogonadal men since the intramuscular route, which is the most widely used form of testosterone replacement therapy, is inconvenient to many patients.

METHODS: All men with primary and secondary hypogonadism attending the reproductive endocrine clinic at Royal Victoria Hospital, Monteral, Quebec, Canada, were invited to participate in the study. Subjects were enrolled from January 2002 till December 2002. Patients were asked to self-administer weekly low doses of testosterone enanthate using 0.5 ml insulin syringe.

RESULTS: A total of 22 patients were enrolled in the study. The mean trough was 14.48 +/- 3.14 nmol/L and peak total testosterone was 21.65 +/- 7.32 nmol/L. For the free testosterone the average trough was 59.94 +/- 20.60 pmol/L and the peak was 85.17 +/- 32.88 pmol/L. All of the patients delivered testosterone with ease and no local reactions were reported.

CONCLUSION: Therapy with weekly subcutaneous testosterone produced serum levels that were within the normal range in 100% of patients for both peak and trough levels. This is the first report, which demonstrated the efficacy of delivering weekly testosterone using this cheap, safe, and less painful subcutaneous route.

STABLE TESTOSTERONE LEVELS ACHIEVED WITH SUBCUTANEOUS TESTOSTERONE INJECTIONS

M.B. Greenspan, C.M. Chang
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada

Objectives: The preferred technique of androgen replacement has been intramuscular (IM) testosterone, but wide variations in testosterone levels are often seen. Subcutaneous (SC) testosterone injection is a novel approach; however, its physiological effects are unclear. We therefore investigated the sustainability of stable testosterone levels using SC therapy.

Patients and Methods: Between May and September 2005, we conducted a small pilot study involving 10 male patients with symptomatic late-onset hypogonadism. Every patient had been stable on TE 200 mg IM for 41 year. Patients were instructed to self-inject with testosterone enanthate (TE) 100 mg SC (DELATESTRYL 200 mg/cc, Theramed Corp, Canada) into the anterior abdomen once weekly. Some patients were down-titrated to 50 mg based on their total testosterone (T) at 4 weeks. Informed consent was obtained as SC testosterone administration is not officially approved by Health Canada. T levels were measured before and 24 hours after injection during weeks 1, 2, 3, and 4, and 96 hours after injection in week 6 and 8. At week 12, PSA, CBC, and T levels were measured however; the week 12 data are still being collected.

Results: Prior to initiation of SC therapy, T was 19.14+3.48 nmol/l, hemoglobin 15.8+1.3 g/dl, hematocrit 0.47+0.02, and PSA 1.05+0.65 ng/ml. During the first 4 weeks, there was a steady increase in pre-injection T from 19.14+3.48 to 23.89+9.15 nmol/l (p¼0.1). However, after 8 weeks the post-injection T (25.77+7.67 nmol/l) remained similar to that of week 1 (27.46+12.91 nmol/l). Patients tolerated this therapy with no adverse effects.

Conclusions: A once-week SC injection of 50–100 mg of TE appears to achieve sustainable and stable levels of physiological T. This technique offers fewer physician visits and the use of smaller quantity of medication, thus lower costs. However, the long term clinical and physiological effects of this therapy need further evaluation.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
never dont it but heard it works...??

i dont see it being as effective as im tho

Supra

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Just as effective, no estrogen spike after pinning like IM. No scar tissue created unlike IM.
Dropped my AI as well, safer long term for HRT as well.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I tried it once, and I got a small lump that was quite tender. Nothing to bad, so I am gonna try again. Any discomfort at the site of injection for you supra?

Supra

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I tried it once, and I got a small lump that was quite tender. Nothing to bad, so I am gonna try again. Any discomfort at the site of injection for you supra?

Not much, depends a lot on how much you heat the oil, how slow you inject, just like IM in that regard

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Good thread, would like to see what others have to say. Seems like the masses do IM.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not much, depends a lot on how much you heat the oil, how slow you inject, just like IM in that regard

Makes sense, I didn't heat the oil at all...

wabbitt

Elite
Reaction score
I knew a guy who swore by sub q for test. Looks like this article is mainly discussing trt dose. Makes sense, if a gel can work, sub q would have to be better, right. I think with cycle doses though, the risk of sterile abscess is much higher. I've had a pin slip before and injected a lot of gear subq. Feels like a golf ball under the skin-hurts like hell.

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
I knew a guy who swore by sub q for test. Looks like this article is mainly discussing trt dose. Makes sense, if a gel can work, sub q would have to be better, right. I think with cycle doses though, the risk of sterile abscess is much higher. I've had a pin slip before and injected a lot of gear subq. Feels like a golf ball under the skin-hurts like hell.

You shouldn't pin more than .6ml or so sub-q so the only reason abscesses may increase is bc the frequency of injections would have to increase to accommodate cycle size doses

New Threads