Bench Training Tips?

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This is by far my weakest exercise. I haven't tried my max in a while but right now I can bang out 225 for about 8 reps. My long term goal is to hit 315 for 2. I usually don't have a spotter so I focus more on dumbbell work. But the last couple of weeks I've been benching. What can I do to increase my weight on the bench?

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
10,8,6,4,2,1 worked very well for me.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Got any video of you benching? That would help. Otherwise your answers will be kinda generic.

Also what are you benching for? Strength or big pecs?

Shane1974

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Got any video of you benching? That would help. Otherwise your answers will be kinda generic.

Also what are you benching for? Strength or big pecs?

This is important. When I am trying to get stronger, 4 sets of 4-6. When I am trying to get bigger, 3 sets of 8-10.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about the size of my pecs because they are pretty symmetrical in comparison to other body parts. My focus is on strength. I have read the book "Starting Strength" a while back which explains the form of the bench press so I do not believe that is the issue. My arms are rather long for my height though (5'10"). I believe I heard this could hinder higher poundages on the bench.

DarksideSix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
close grip bench and waited dips always help with my bench. also, when I'm training for strength I usually do a 5, 5, 5, 3, 3 routine. works great.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Technique and stay tight, I see floppy loose guys benching in the guym. Do you see a guy pressing 700lbs all loosey goosey?

Without working your technique you won't go anywhere.

IWannaGetBig

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Bro, get someone to spot you. And you MUST put more weight on the bar. Let the spotter help you through an additional 2 after failure. You must continue to challenge the muscle with weight it is not used to.
"If all you do is all you've ever done, then that's all you'll ever do." Challenge yourself Bro.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Technique and stay tight, I see floppy loose guys benching in the guym. Do you see a guy pressing 700lbs all loosey goosey?

With at working your technique you won't go anywhere.

Mind2Muscle here is two powerlifters that have said the same thing... Technique. Post a vid

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the great responses! I might just post a vid then lol

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Do you stay tight?
Do you use your lats?
Do you drive off you heals or ball of the foot, leg drive is where 99% fail and don't do which is one of the most important aspects of the lift.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
First words in that vid above - why don't they just learn how to fuckin bench...

Accessories won't do shit for a bad bench set up.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Do you stay tight?
Do you use your lats?
Do you drive off you heals or ball of the foot, leg drive is where 99% fail and don't do which is one of the most important aspects of the lift.

Thanks for posting this vid SF! I do arch my lower back but not as much as in the vid. Im guessing I should widen my stance also. I always try to stay as tight as possible. But I like how he mentioned do like 12 sets of only three reps to get your technique perfect rather than doing a few sets of 10-12 reps where the last 7 or so reps arent as great as the first 3

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this vid SF! I do arch my lower back but not as much as in the vid. Im guessing I should widen my stance also. I always try to stay as tight as possible. But I like how he mentioned do like 12 sets of only three reps to get your technique perfect rather than doing a few sets of 10-12 reps where the last 7 or so reps arent as great as the first 3

You don't ave to arc that high most don't but the point is staying tight.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
This is me bro!

1B.jpg

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
was just going to say watch youtube of REAL power lifters..... those guys know how to press.

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Those Dave Tate vids couldnt have said it any better.....Another big thing when you are learning how to do any movement, is having someone there that knows how to do it or what to look for. I picked up a few bad habits working out with buddies that werent power lifters. I was always stronger than them so they would tell me everything looked good. It didnt. Once I started going to a real power lifting gym the guys started asking me if I knew I did some of the stuff I was doing that was breaking my form. Its really hard to change things when you have made a habit of them already.

New Threads