PL Meet Prep Log

SAD

Reaction score
I've tried this a few times and have trouble keeping up with it. This time I'm just going to chronicle my contest prep. I have a powerlifting meet December 1st so I'm just a little over 5 weeks out.

6'2"
295lbs
Bodyfat? (who gives a fuck, my singlet looks good!)

Test E - 500mg/wk
Test PP - 600mg/wk
Dbol - 30mg/day
GH - 3.33iu before bed, except on max effort days when I'll go 10iu before bed.

Was cruising at 300mg/wk up until about a week ago. Just started munching on the March Pharm Blue Hearts yesterday. Only been running growth for a month thus far, so all I'm getting from that right now is improved recovery.

Currently squatting 600, benching 410, and deadlifting 600. These haven't been tested in a while, and likely won't be truly tested until the day of the meet. Right now just trying to make that last little bit of progress and find my opener numbers. Will have a mock meet here in about two weeks to judge what my 1st and 2nd lifts for each discipline will be.

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to following this.

SAD

Reaction score
2 week split looks like this.

Week 1: ME week

Day 1 - Flat bench. Heavy doubles into heavy singles into slingshot work. Nothing over 95% raw, nothing over 110% with slingshot.
Drop sets 315 for reps (6-9 normally) and then 225 for 10.

Day 3 - Deadlifts. Triples with orange short bands, then heavy doubles raw into heavy singles raw. Nothing over 95%.
One set of 90% static hold. (Just pick it up and hold it until you can't anymore.)

Day 5 - Squats. Heavy triples into heavy doubles, raw classic. Then heavy singles wrapped. Nothing over 95%.
Drop sets 315 for reps (10-12 normally) and then 225 for 15.

Week 2 - Speed work

Day 1 - Flat bench. Explosive triples with orange bands, nothing over 65%ish. 6-8 sets.
Bodyweight dips, three sets to failure. Usually looks like this, 31, 23, 13, lol.
Dumbbell flyes, three sets of 10-12. Nothing heavy, just stretching really.

Day 3 - Deadlift. EITHER rack pulls against bands or deficit deads without bands. 6-8 sets of doubles at 70%ish.
Good mornings, 2 sets of 5, IF our backs are not fried.
Bodyweight pullups, three sets to failure. Usually looks like this, 9, 8, 5.

Day 5 - Squats. EITHER box squats without bands or regular squats against orange bands. 6-8 sets of triples at 70%ish.
Barbell lunges, 3 sets of 20.

Repeat. That's it. This is a hybrid of a high-level-powerlifter-friend-of-mine's program, (thanks PLK), and my own brainchild program that allows me to tweak it around my work and my workout partner's work.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Great numbers SAD! Very nice to see a PL log. Will be following along. Best of luck!

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
like the training style your using for prep.

SAD

Reaction score
I thought I had started this, but then forgot about it and never came back. Here's an update.

I've learned some important things about my meet prep this time.

#1 - 1.35g test/wk PLUS orals is too fucking much. I felt lethargic all day long, took a couple of naps everyday, and had very little appetite.

#2 - There is a really fine line between lifting heavy enough, often enough, and overtraining. I'm getting close to knowing my line.

#3 - Once you get to a certain point, scratching and clawing for 5 pound jumps, you can't take a bad day too seriously.

I've cut my test dose in half and dropped all orals for the time being, even though the meet is only three weeks away. Why? Because I know for a fact that having energy in the gym and an appetite that can sustain my size is more important than all the juice in the world. I'll bump the test up a little bit in a week, and add the orals (dbol and m1t) back in about 10 days out.

My bench is going to be very questionable come meet day. I may not even be able to train again until the meet because of a slight injury I suffered on Wednesday. I was working doubles up to 385lb, then jumped to 405 for a single, and at the top I got a little uneven and locked out my left arm first. When I squeezed to lock out my right arm, I felt something twinge behind my right shoulder. Could be labrum, could be rotator cuff. I feel it still and it shoots pain down my tricep.

Also on Wednesday, I was working on deads to find an acceptable second attempt, and before I even got close, my back tightened up and made 500lb feel like a metric ton. I stopped there and went home truly depressed. Days like Wednesday make me question if I'll ever be able to achieve my goals, and I went home feeling sorry for myself. My training partner had a terrible day as well, so we sat around drinking protein shakes and bullshitting about what we can do to right the ship. We decided to go in the next day for a heavy squat session and just man the fuck up.

So that was yesterday, the heavy squat session, and I had an epic day. I warmed up through 405, then doubled 495, doubled 505, doubled 515, doubled 525, and then tripled 545 and held it at the top of the third rep for about a minute. I damn near passed out, but the sense of pride and reassurance that I'm still progressing was worth the ringing in the ears and labored breathing for 10 minutes.

I fucking love this sport. Give me more damnit, I'm never done.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
545 for a triple? Jesus...

You said you don't like the foam roller and you feel awkward on it, but that is gonna be your good friend and keep you healthy.

SAD

Reaction score
you're fuckn huge!

Thanks, although it's not all it's cracked up to be. Yeah, nobody really fucks with you, but they would if they saw how out of breath you get tying your shoelaces or fucking in missionary.

545 for a triple? Jesus...

You said you don't like the foam roller and you feel awkward on it, but that is gonna be your good friend and keep you healthy.

I know brother, I know. I really need to bite the bullet and buy one, then actually use it. The bigger I get the tighter I get. Fuck it, throw me a link of what you think would be best for me and I'll buy it right now.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Get the black one at elitefts.com... I know how you like the black ones

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Very nice log SAD. I like seeing what you big beefy bastards are up to. Hope your injury is just a minor tweak. You guys ever go for deep tissue massage? Only thing with the deep tissue would be you really need to get someone that can push thru all the muscle to be effective.

SAD

Reaction score

Shhhhhhhhhhh!

Very nice log SAD. I like seeing what you big beefy bastards are up to. Hope your injury is just a minor tweak. You guys ever go for deep tissue massage? Only thing with the deep tissue would be you really need to get someone that can push thru all the muscle to be effective.

I get them occasionally, and I keep going back to the same 5'2" 100lb girl because she is a merciless torturer and, believe it or not, has the muscle to get down deep through the muscle. That and she has some Double D's that rub against me every so often while she leans across me, that keeps me coming back as well.

Thanks Dfeaton.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Oh man! I'd love to have a little lady like that.

cougar

Reaction score
My GOD BRO , ................. Triple 545..

jyoung8j

Elite
Reaction score
Damn beast.. hope nothing major injury wise.. good luck in Dec..

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Where is the meet and Federation, raw or geared?

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score

Rumble Roller, pvc pipe, softball and lacrosse ball.

If you don't like a rumble roller a pvc pipe is much better then a foam roller only foam roller I use and many is the rumble.

SAD

Reaction score
Where is the meet and Federation, raw or geared?

I'd rather not say the meet and fed for anonymity purposes. Safe to say it is a legit comp that doesn't give you good lifts unless it's a good lift. I'll be competing Raw Modern, which I know you know what that means, but for the rest of you it means I can only use knee wraps, but everything else is assistance free.

SAD

Reaction score
Rumble Roller, pvc pipe, softball and lacrosse ball.

If you don't like a rumble roller a pvc pipe is much better then a foam roller only foam roller I use and many is the rumble.

I think the rumble roller is what I used at my last meet, correct me if I'm wrong POB. It definitely works, but I feel so damn awkward on it. I guess I just need to keep using one and get used to it.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
I'd rather not say the meet and fed for anonymity purposes. Safe to say it is a legit comp that doesn't give you good lifts unless it's a good lift. I'll be competing Raw Modern, which I know you know what that means, but for the rest of you it means I can only use knee wraps, but everything else is assistance free.

With that said it's definitely not a SPF meet!

New Threads