staph infections and the gym.

oldschool67

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
long time no see my fellow SI brothers and sisters!!anyway, on with my post,anyone here may or may not be familiar with staphylococcus,normally a pretty harmless bacteria that takes up home in our nostrils, where they live out their life just hanging around , people go their whole lives not even knowing they have this..the lucky ones that is.As recently as last year, i have been on and off antibiotics due to this nasty little organism.For the most part, an infection of this type will start out as a pea sized, painful to the touch red spot, which can grow to the size of a silver dollar, and more if not treated.The doctor has told me to avoid public restrooms,wash hands frequently, all the cautions one would take anyway, staph or not.I have performed many self surgeries if you will, relieving the pressure and pain these infections cause.My favorite gym may or may not have been the source for many of my outbreaks, and i am leaning to a yes because in my 3 months away from the gym, not 1 outbreak of staph at all, whereas when i would frequent my gym, at least 1 a month was not uncommon.Left untreated, staph may enter your bloodstream, the worst case scenario you could ask for.Staph can and will hamper your workouts, the most painful sights are glutes, armpit and chest imo.I have decided to put my home gym back together to try to avoid any further infections. my post may sound disgusting, but it is a very real bio-hazard!remember , look for redness, hot to the touch swellings.do not screw around with these things, get to your doctor ASAP, a lot more may be at stake besides your workout.

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Over 27 years in some the biggest shithole gyms I must be lucky regarding Staph. Feel for you Bro.

Four1Thr33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Bro I would bring Lysol to the gym and use gloves
That's rough

grind4it

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've had athletes foot (I wear flip flops in the shower) so bad I have had to go to the doctor. Gyms are nasty.

I hate shaving and doing subQ GH at the gym. I'm so parinoid of getting staph it not even funny. People die from that shit and you know it's lurking all over the locker room of these shoe string budget gyms.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lucky I have never had an issue with this type of infection. I always wash my hands before I head home from the gym b/c of this. If you are ever on any antibiotic you should also add an acidophilus/probiotic supplement.

pirovoliko

Reaction score
Best thing you can do to protect yourself is make sure any and all cuts and scrapes are cleaned and covered, use your own towels (one separate towel for you and one for cleaning machines) and get out of your sweaty clothes and shower asap.

beasto

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That's crazy. I'm always washing my hands and shit. And as soon as I get home straight to the shower. Spray off the leather seats with lysol.

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was going to an mma gym and got ringworm. Guess someone else had it or it was on the mats.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
It could be the stress of training that breaks it out.

oldschool67

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
the shit is nuts...infections are nothing to screw with, the ultimate cause of my mothers and brother-in-laws death.They may enter your bloodstream and you wind up with sepsis.

Christosterone

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I drained a staph abscess today at the hospital lol

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
thanks for bringning attention to this.. always smart to be extra clean after the gym..

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was going to an mma gym and got ringworm. Guess someone else had it or it was on the mats.

lol, this! if you don't get ringworm just once in an MMA gym you are doing something wrong!

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
lol, this! if you don't get ringworm just once in an MMA gym you are doing something wrong!

Ewwww, that is just gross.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I am OCD with hand hygiene and germs in general. Nothing like a good ol' clean gym!

amore169

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I also take a shower right after the gym, I got a fungus all over my back and I went to see my dermatologist to find out what it was, thank goodness it wasn't anything serious, he just told me to buy the original selsum blue shampoo and apply it on my back and affected areas and let it dry for 15 min, after a week the fungus went away. Now I try to be very careful on what I do at the gym.