The Stereotype Bodybuilder

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd like this thread to be wide open, no worries to "hi-jack", bring any and all you have!

I've been at this game for close to 40 years, I think I've heard it all but who knows....lol

To kick this off I am going introduce the "Bodybuilders are self-centered, insecure jerks". In our community I find just the opposite. SI for example is almost 100 percentile: guys and gals going in chat, threads, posts and PM's to share experience and keep another Bro or Sis safe and informed (so much for the self-centered label).

Insecure.....I love this one! Reading the threads and finding compliments to other members is very common, we see it in Chat on a daily basis too. Insecure fucks don't praise anyone. Another facet of the insecure stereotype is this one: How many insecure MFer's will pull shirt and drop trow anytime, any place.......so much for major emotional or physical insecurities.

Piss on Haters, I do.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The intelligence thing... I can't stand people that seem to think that the presence of muscle means the lack of brains. Or that we are all violent.

My boss is a fucking fat idiot. And in my line of work, people will occasionally mouth off to me. I always react calmly and professionally, but my boss likes to warn people "look out he's a weight lifter" and actually has tried to cause fights by insinuating that because I lift weights I want to fight everyone.

Only person I want to fight is him. I told him recently that the next time he calls me a "weight lifting faggot" I'm going to throw him out the fuckin window.

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The intelligence thing... I can't stand people that seem to think that the presence of muscle means the lack of brains. Or that we are all violent.

My boss is a fucking fat idiot. And in my line of work, people will occasionally mouth off to me. I always react calmly and professionally, but my boss likes to warn people "look out he's a weight lifter" and actually has tried to cause fights by insinuating that because I lift weights I want to fight everyone.

Only person I want to fight is him. I told him recently that the next time he calls me a "weight lifting faggot" I'm going to throw him out the fuckin window.

Oh yes I know that scenario too well. I've had the same from bosses and co-workers over the years. Can we say "insecure fucks" loud enough?

Times Roman

Reaction score
I hate fukkers touching my arms and making comments. I'm not as huge maybe as some of you (i'm not a body builder, just a simple weight lifter), but it's noticeable. I get geeks in yogurt shops and banks asking me questions. Why is it that because I lift a little iron, why is it that you think you can talk to me like you know me?

I was at a resturant today, saying goodbye. it's closing after my going there for 35 years. Anyways, this redheaded waitress was talking to us, and then i feel her hand on my shoulder. I'm ok with it, but then it starts to linger? I let it go, and after a bit, she withdraws her hand.

Why is it that sometimes people feel it is OK to touch me just cause I lift a little iron? Am I a ho or something? Some kind of public property?

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i don't mind when girls touch me, i will go into the restaurant were my daughter works and the girls like to go by and run their hands over my shoulders and back, makes a old fat guy feel good

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd like this thread to be wide open, no worries to "hi-jack", bring any and all you have!

I've been at this game for close to 40 years, I think I've heard it all but who knows....lol

To kick this off I am going introduce the "Bodybuilders are self-centered, insecure jerks". In our community I find just the opposite. SI for example is almost 100 percentile: guys and gals going in chat, threads, posts and PM's to share experience and keep another Bro or Sis safe and informed (so much for the self-centered label).

Insecure.....I love this one! Reading the threads and finding compliments to other members is very common, we see it in Chat on a daily basis too. Insecure fucks don't praise anyone. Another facet of the insecure stereotype is this one: How many insecure MFer's will pull shirt and drop trow anytime, any place.......so much for major emotional or physical insecurities.

Piss on Haters, I do.
i find the true lifters be it power, body builders, or just weight lifters like me, tend to be helpful and encouraging, we lift each other up, nature of the sport.

grind4it

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
"How much can you bench press" I swear the next mother fucker that asks me that is going to be spitting out chicklets.

My favorite are the drunks that want to fight the biggest guy in the room.

I also, am sick of people thinking I beat my ol lady.

I got in to a fairly passionate argument (fucking politics) and it was implied that I was "roid raging" I laughed it off and assured everyone that I wasn't "roid raging" I then told them they would know when this occurs with be because anyone with in arms or legs length from me will spontaneously start bleeding from the face ;)

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It is true PFM that many average joes believe us bodybuilders lack intelligence and/or personality but contrary to popular belief they are wrong. We do hold intelligent conversations here (most of the time :)) ). I just obtained a bachelors degree in the medical field and in my free time I research medical news/breathroughs etc. Society is just very narrow minded. Fuck 'em lol.

beasto

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well society is very closed minded about certain things if you think of it. And into sterotyping. I think for people that it is easier to create stereotypes when there is a clearly visible attribute that can easily be recognized. With most of us it's muscles rather being Cut up or Massive. And the first thing that comes to peoples minds is oh "STERIODS". Everyone is guilty of "sterotyping" and we do it because we are human, and it is in our nature sometimes. But I really believe that it is because they are too ignorant to take the time to talk to someone or do research. So they want to avoid and distance themselves.

Times Roman

Reaction score
I was a little grumpy in my #4 above. Just off the harley from a road trip, and my back was a little sore.

I'm not phobic, not paranoid abouut people touching me. for some reason, that rant felt good though?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was a little grumpy in my #4 above. Just off the harley from a road trip, and my back was a little sore.

I'm not phobic, not paranoid abouut people touching me. for some reason, that rant felt good though?

Came off a bit like latent gay rage...

SAD

Reaction score
If you don't like the stereotype, don't fit it.

Stereotypes are stereotypes because most of the time, they are true. Black dude with pants falling off his ass, hat crooked, fake gold chains, fake diamonds in his "grill", is he a thug or is he a Wall Street banker? White dude with no shirt, long mullet, three teeth, giant lifted truck with 15 hunting dogs in the back, is he a redneck or elementary school english teacher? See where I'm going?

Do you guys think we are the norm? For every intelligent lifter out there who peruses the boards learning and helping others learn, there are 5 who have no fucking clue what they are doing and fit the stereotype perfectly. I figured out that for me to achieve my goals, I would have to deal with the stereotyping from fuckers who don't know me. Those who do get to know me understand very quickly that I am intelligent, kind, and mostly humble.

So again, if you don't like the stereotype, don't fit it. Who cares what everyone else thinks?

Side note: @grind4it - There is a size window in which guys at the bar want to pick a fight with you to prove themselves. Then you outgrow that size window and nobody fucks with you anymore. It's to the point now where I kind of wish sometimes that somebody would try me, but nobody does. (This message was brought to you by the part of me that is mostly humble.)

Times Roman

Reaction score
Came off a bit like latent gay rage...

Me? I'm always mellow............

l-chillerama-e84e6411.jpg

HDH

Elite
Reaction score
I hate fukkers touching my arms and making comments. I'm not as huge maybe as some of you (i'm not a body builder, just a simple weight lifter), but it's noticeable. I get geeks in yogurt shops and banks asking me questions. Why is it that because I lift a little iron, why is it that you think you can talk to me like you know me?

I was at a resturant today, saying goodbye. it's closing after my going there for 35 years. Anyways, this redheaded waitress was talking to us, and then i feel her hand on my shoulder. I'm ok with it, but then it starts to linger? I let it go, and after a bit, she withdraws her hand.

Why is it that sometimes people feel it is OK to touch me just cause I lift a little iron? Am I a ho or something? Some kind of public property?

LOL, you're not the ho, they are. Any chick that can't keep their hands to themselves, especially in the presence of manly men are hos.

That being said, I'm gonna go stand in front of Shapes and count hos as the walk out. LOL

HDH

HDH

Elite
Reaction score
"How much can you bench press" I swear the next mother fucker that asks me that is going to be spitting out chicklets.

My favorite answer to that is 8 DAYS A WEEK BITCH =))

HDH

New Threads