Thanks

Slowing down your muscle contractions - has anyone tried?

Normally im in the gym belting out my workout - each rep taking only a second if its say arms.

I work out with a trainer two times a week just to switch up things, and he has me trying a new routine. On your tricep extensions, make sure it takes a full 2 seconds to go down, and a full 3 seconds to go up. Follow the 2 down / 3 up second timing for all excercises - Squats, Deads, Bis, shoulders etc.

I find that you can not do anywhere near your normal weight. But for me, less weight with the same or a better workout means less chance of injury.

Has anyone tried this technique and how did it work out for you? Im curious to know if i should shift over my entire routine to this format.
    Powered by food, raw ambition, and an awesome woman.

Thanks

Re: Slowing down your muscle contractions - has anyone tried?

It works your slow twitch fibers more, I mix it up during workouts
    All posts are for entertainment purposes only

Thanks

here's the funny part. I know all this, but it's funny what you forget once you get in the gym.

Here's what i try to do, and it even works sometimes:

"use the least amount of weight you can, utilizing perfect form, and still be able to fail at your target reps."

this seems almost counter intuitive to most, and it is very difficult for me to slow it down and utilize perfect form, when the urge is to slap on another plate.

I wasn't formally trained like some of you may have been. More self taught, and exercised in a back yard gym my whole life, until recently. So the old habit when it comes to weights "more is better" is a tough urge for me to resist.

Thanks

That's because momentum is doing a lot of the work. The target muscle isn't being isolated when reps are fast.
    I often see guys swinging weight and I think to myself, "lower the weight and do it right." LOL. But, of course I don't say it. LOL.
    No offense or disrespect to anyone who does this, but form really suffers and many muscles, other than the muscle we're targeting come into play to do most of the work. The target muscle isn't being isolated.
    It definitely has it's time when it is useful...like to get one more rep of a heavy set, or to set yourself up for negatives. Or maybe even as part of muscle confusion, to shock the muscle.

I find that you can not do anywhere near your normal weight. But for me, less weight with the same or a better workout means less chance of injury.

Thanks

Any vets want to chime in on this?

Thanks

I did this routine this morning and added a tri extension and it just about killed me.

Using a 15lb (yes i know but you try it) assume a pushup position with the dumbbell in one hand. Other hand pointing forwards.

Now bring up the dumbell to your waist - keeping your arm straight. It should take 2 seconds to go up and 3 seconds to go down. You may have to slightly twist your torso in order to accommodate this - but it is worth attempting. During this time you will essentially be using your legs and one arm to hold you up while you use your other arm to move the weight.

I found my core lit up like a Christmas Tree. My wife was belting out more reps than me :-(

Try doing 15 reps x 3-4 sets. My last set i was so tired i had to divide it up into 5's.