keys to getting a bigger back?

losieloos

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I heard training it twice a week is good,my back is a weak point I believe, his do you guys get that cobra look on the sides?

SAD

Reaction score
Re: keys to getting a biggwr back?

Two words. PULL. UP.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

deads, cable seated row, pull ups

Times Roman

Reaction score

next to legs, i think the back is probably the most underdeveloped area.

I would add wide bar pull down to the list.

but the key mate, is not how much weight you pull. I'm in the gym every day watching people use too much weight. when doing a wide bar pull down, your ass should NEVER leave the seat, and your back should be fairly still. the only real motion should be shoulders and arms. this means a light weight

here is an example of what I'm talking about:
http://wn.com/wide_grip_pull_downs#/videos

notice how he is sitting stationary, and only his arms and shoulders are moving? also notice he is not using that much weight?

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
typo removed from thread title.

as to the subject, back is all about muscle mind connection. really focus on your form and how you use your muscle when you pull.

SAD

Reaction score
typo removed from thread title.

as to the subject, back is all about muscle mind connection. really focus on your form and how you use your muscle when you pull.

Great, great point.

sfstud33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I just started doing wide pullups about six weeks ago. Week 1 i could manage sets of 1. Today im up to 4 sets of 5 and 2 sets of 4.

So if you are not doing wide handed pullups then give them a try - i can highly recommend them as a great strength builder.

SAD

Reaction score
Not to shit on anybody's advice, but in MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, deadlifting has done nothing for the width of my lats. I'm fully aware that it works pretty much every muscle in your posterior chain, but I've seen no additional width in my lat spread since I've dedicated myself to powerlifting. I pull over 600 and should know by now.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I get more lat width from bench press than deads... Srsly

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I get more lat width from bench press than deads... Srsly

when i do push ups i really feel it in the lats. guessing its my form i use. but i like how it feels, unlikely any other back workout.

losieloos

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys, really good stuff here

Infantry87

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Wide grip chin-ups , close grip chin ups, bent over rows, cable seated rows (on the bench, then sitting on a wooden box on top of the bench)- these are my supersets, and then pulldowns.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Pull-overs hit my lats well. WG pull-ups also as mentioned.

And yes, the mind-muscle connection is a must-have.

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I found that when doing pulldowns, if you sit straight up, arch your back, stick your chest out, don't lean back(using the erector spinae), and imagine you're pulling the elbows to the ribcage, as opposed to pulling from the hands, it really isolates the lats and I always feel it (mind to muscle connection).
Straps really help, of course. I'm stronger than my grip.

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Spongy hit it with the mind muscle connection. When doing any pulling, really focus on keeping your elbows in a single plane of motion and drawing them backwards. Doing this really helps contract the lats. One of my favorite exercises that really improved my lats (especially lower) is the cable pullover using the rope. I usually finish with these as they really help push blood into the lats. Just my humble .02!

ripped_one

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think back development is a genetic. I spend the least amount of effort on back but its one of my best body parts. my chest I have tried everything and its easily my weakest.

for back I do deads, bent over rows, pull ups and pull downs. nothing fancy. I have recently added in some rack chins and close grip cable rows but I'm not sure how beneficial they are compared to what I am already doing.

for width though specifically pull ups are my favorite.

grizzldsealpoacher

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I hit my back once a week looks like this and it feels amazing when its done

deads 2 warm up sets get heavy for 5 rep set add 4 add 3 add 2 add 1rm ,then a burn out set

bo rows 2 warm up sets then add weight 10 add 8 add 6

wide grip pull downs 10 8 6 4 adding weight super set db lawnmower pulls same weight heavy 4 sets 8

low pulley close grip rows 10 8 6 4 adding wieght

my favorite work out just figured I'd share it b/c it feels so good and I am constantly getting stronger doing it

also I do 3 to 5 sets of pull ups with every work except back as warm up in between my first exercise so if I was doing legs I would add pull ups in between my squat sets seems to keep the wings growing :)

TeddyBear

Tren Made Me Gay
Reaction score
Today was the first time my scapula hurt and fully opening my shoulder blades are sore.

I focused on controlled squeezing scapulas during pull ups and pull downs.

Ouch. Never sore like this before, but didn’t damage them.