Extreme burn working shoulders?

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Great feedback bros, I'm not a freak...about shoulders anyways!!! I'm not as advanced as many of you but I really don't feel the need to do shrugs. My traps get plenty pumped and grow from all the peripheal exercises. I do implement reverse peck deck occassionally. The delt raises definatley put the pain in overdrive!!!

Times Roman

Reaction score
I love working shoulders, one of my favorite bodyparts. I alternate excercises pretty often but stick to 12 sets, either cable or dumbell presses, lateral raises, and upright rows. I get an extreme burn almost incapacitating! It's like the lactic acid doesn't stop well after the workout is done. It's not an unhealthy pain but it is very intense....anyone else with shoulders or other body parts?

yep. guilty here too!

i do pyramids, and fail at the peak and on drops. by the time i'm on my final set, with lower weight and higher reps, there are times where the pain gets to be more than I can bear, with the final half dozen reps or so all burning like hell, and by the time i compplete my final rep, if you were to look at my face, you'd swear I was in some serious serious pain. But it only last a few seconds at that level, and then slowly dissipates. Today was legs, and between leg extensions and leg curls, im hobbling around for five minutes. I have to be careful not to use up too much juice, as the day for legs is a long one, and at my age, the CNS doesn't last as long as it used to.

biggerben692000

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This is interesting to me. I used to do shrugs on shoulder day and was advised to move them to back day. I have been doing the shrugs on back day for about a year now. I liked them better on shoulder day and I am considering moving them back to my shoulder routine.

Tthanks for this thread!
Vette

Sometimes I'll work traps twice per week. On back day and then on shoulder day. On back day after rack pulls I'll do high rep lighter weight shrugs.(As the last exercise on back day.)
Then, on shoulder day, I'll do heavy weight lower rep shrugs. No matter how hard I try to keep my traps out of the way, they get worked doing lateral raises so that's why I throw in the heavy shrugs...and also to switch up from back day.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack, but on the fish oil topic I've found that krill oil does not cause the dreaded 'fish burps' at least in my case even when stored at room temp.

YMMV.

grizzldsealpoacher

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I get that burn ! not all the time but I feel like I hit them extra good when I get it . I would call it an ache , it feels like I have drained every bit of energy out of them am it almost hurts unless I hang my arms off the pull up bar or rest my arms on something , just to leave them at my sides makes me want to massage the delts, it feels deep in the tissue :O

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I get that burn ! not all the time but I feel like I hit them extra good when I get it . I would call it an ache , it feels like I have drained every bit of energy out of them am it almost hurts unless I hang my arms off the pull up bar or rest my arms on something , just to leave them at my sides makes me want to massage the delts, it feels deep in the tissue :O

You need to go get a deep tissue "rub & tug". lol.

BigFella

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I love SI!

Where else could you get so much knowledge in one thread?

(I have the odourless fish oil and it is.)

Reaction score
You might want to try dry needling. It's sort of like acupuncture that you can do yourself. First have someone else do it for you then you can do it yourself. From what I hear it may help with the kind of pain that you are talking about. It's also smart that you can tell the difference between pain you should tolerate and pain that you should not. Normally when talking about burning and muscles, a doctor will most likely say that you have torn something. Burning is a tell tale sign that something is torn. But it's not the kind of pain you are talking about. If something was torn you would not be able to move.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
You might want to try dry needling. It's sort of like acupuncture that you can do yourself. First have someone else do it for you then you can do it yourself. From what I hear it may help with the kind of pain that you are talking about. It's also smart that you can tell the difference between pain you should tolerate and pain that you should not. Normally when talking about burning and muscles, a doctor will most likely say that you have torn something. Burning is a tell tale sign that something is torn. But it's not the kind of pain you are talking about. If something was torn you would not be able to move.

This thread is 9 years old......

Reaction score
My bad. I was just looking through the threads to see if there was a conversation that I could add something substantive to. I should have looked at the date lol

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
delts always get swole. most shoulder days i have to put my hands on top of my head cause it hurts to bad to let them rest by my sides.

New Threads