Extreme burn working shoulders?

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I love working shoulders, one of my favorite bodyparts. I alternate excercises pretty often but stick to 12 sets, either cable or dumbell presses, lateral raises, and upright rows. I get an extreme burn almost incapacitating! It's like the lactic acid doesn't stop well after the workout is done. It's not an unhealthy pain but it is very intense....anyone else with shoulders or other body parts?

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I love working shoulders, one of my favorite bodyparts. I alternate excercises pretty often but stick to 12 sets, either cable or dumbell presses, lateral raises, and upright rows. I get an extreme burn almost incapacitating! It's like the lactic acid doesn't stop well after the workout is done. It's not an unhealthy pain but it is very intense....anyone else with shoulders or other body parts?

I get a ridiculous pump and sometimes a burn in my delts when I do Arnold Dumbbell presses. I also get a wicked calf burn when I do supersets with standing and seated calf raises.

I am not crazy about the burn but I am falling more and more in love with the pump. Some are better than others but the worst I ever had was pretty damn good!

Respect,
Vette

IWannaGetBig

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sometimes when I'm doing shrugs I get a pain, like a pinched nerve , in my right delt.

biggerben692000

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
After I do lateral raises I'm hurting, badly. After each set I have to put my hand up on something and stretch a bit. My shoulders BURN like a motherfucker. I hate it but I love it at the same time...fuck.

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Shoulders are actually my favorite body-part because mine respond better than other body-parts.
Though, I'm the same way...I get that burn right in the shoulder joint. I did them tonight and it was pretty intense.
I think it might be aggravated by the fact that I do strict form, heavy lateral raises. That usually does it.
I've just come to accept it as part of a shoulder workout.
I usually do anywhere from 12 to 16 sets
Tonight it was
Reverse pec-deck 3 sets
Seated dumbell presses 3 sets
Lateral raises 3 sets
Front raises 3 sets
Dumbell shrugs 3 sets

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
MASSIVE pump from doing John Meadows' style 'heavy partial' lat raises at high reps (35+). It takes an effort mentally in between sets to refocus knowing the pain is coming. Most sensory lift for me outside of legs.

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. Everything sounds normal, I literally have to hang my arms on something to get the burning to subside. Silver lining...I get lots of compliments on my shoulders!!!!

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Shoulders are actually my favorite body-part because mine respond better than other body-parts.
Though, I'm the same way...I get that burn right in the shoulder joint. I did them tonight and it was pretty intense.
I think it might be aggravated by the fact that I do strict form, heavy lateral raises. That usually does it.
I've just come to accept it as part of a shoulder workout.
I usually do anywhere from 12 to 16 sets
Tonight it was
Reverse pec-deck 3 sets
Seated dumbell presses 3 sets
Lateral raises 3 sets
Front raises 3 sets
Dumbell shrugs 3 sets

This is interesting to me. I used to do shrugs on shoulder day and was advised to move them to back day. I have been doing the shrugs on back day for about a year now. I liked them better on shoulder day and I am considering moving them back to my shoulder routine.

Tthanks for this thread!
Vette

DarksideSix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
yeah i get that burn all the time, to the point where i can hardly lift my arms above my head for a little while

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There are times when I'm getting ready to do my next set of DB presses that I have to put the DB's back down b/c of the burning. I put them back down & have to shake my arms out.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
use a boat load of fish oil before the gym it helps me

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Most sources say you can do them on either day.
The function of the traps is to elevate the shoulders, though they are also part of the group of back muscles (Lower traps and rhomboids are more back related).
They get hit when you do lateral raises, upright rows, shoulder press, etc.
It's up to the individual.
To me, it just feels like it's part of the shoulders...all part of elevating the shoulders.

This is interesting to me. I used to do shrugs on shoulder day and was advised to move them to back day. I have been doing the shrugs on back day for about a year now. I liked them better on shoulder day and I am considering moving them back to my shoulder routine.

Tthanks for this thread!
Vette

pirovoliko

Reaction score
I love shoulders also and get the fastest burn with them. Burns/hurts(but not pain) like hell just a couple of sets in. Also have to stretch at the end of every set regardless of the exercise. Also give an extra 30 secs or a minutes rest. But I also love it

StoliFTW

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Store them in the freezer

this ^ . bro @ the gym told me he only buys fish oil from some health store. Reason being, he said, they are fresh. Some of that we buy from supp stores is rather old even though it might not have passed the expiration date. No fish burps if fresh fish oil pills and freezer.

I always get an insane burn in my delts from any sort of lateral exercise. It's extremely satisfying.

pirovoliko

Reaction score

Tthanks for this thread!
Vette

Interesting Vette. I have also experimented with traps on both shoulders and back day (based on advice) and also preferred doing traps on shoulder day. My traps responded far better when worked with shoulders.

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks POB.
I'll have to try that freezer trick.
I have Twin Lab right now. I'll try a different brand.

Always burns a lot when I do lateral raises.
It always feel better when I stretch my arm above my head.

Popeye

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Some of that we buy from supp stores is rather old even though it might not have passed the expiration date. No fish burps if fresh fish oil pills and freezer.

That's rather nauseating :-&....in the freezer they go!!!!

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I love delt work too, full pumped delts look mean from any angle, they are muscle group that a guy look baddass fully dressed. I too am a 12 sets guy. I started the Lee Labrada 12 sets routine right after they invented the wheel and fire. I'll hit traps on occasion, always with delts.

New Threads