How many of you, nonbusiness, spend the effort selling something on ebay, craigslist, etc.

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
How many of you, nonbusiness, spend the effort selling something on ebay, craigslist, etc.

Just curious how many of you find/have items of value that you sell online. It seems I throw away more shit that could be sold if I made the effort. I think if your ambitious you could really make some "spending" money. And that spending money could go towards gear!!!!!

Four1Thr33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Re: How many of you, nonbusiness, spend the effort selling something on ebay, craigslist, etc.

I never sell but I do tend to buy a bunch of shit off line

pirovoliko

Reaction score
Re: How many of you, nonbusiness, spend the effort selling something on ebay, craigslist, etc.

Never bought or sold anything on ebay. But I do know that you can practically sell anything on EBAY...somebody somewhere is going to want whatever it is.

Capt'n Ron

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

I've sold stuff on Ebay and craigslist over the years. My rule of thumb is if it won't bring $25 + easily it is not worth it. There is some hassle involved answering emails and shipping the item. I've also had a friends son sell some stuff for me for 50%. It does add up I'd guesstimate $2000/year

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score

I have sold many viseo games and other small items.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Agree with Capt'n Ron. If not a moderate and likely easy gain, not worth the hassle to me.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Pro, I have a friend that lost his job 2 yrs ago. All he does now is go to thrift stores, garage sales and resell the stuff on ebay. He makes about 2K per month doing this not counting his gas. A guy could definately make some extra coin.

IWannaGetBig

SI Founding Member
Reaction score

I sold some stuff on Craigslist last year, it was all stuff that I had not used in a long time. The one recurring theme was everyone wants to offer you as little as possible even if you say price is firm

DJ21

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Many of times. I've sold lots of cars on Craigslist, even sold a truck in less than 1 day. Ebay I've sold random shit. But I don't anymore, Ebay is now FEEBay. Charge too much to sell items. Not worth it.

Times Roman

Reaction score

since I don't use my back yard gym anymore, i decided I'd let my son sell off my equipment. Craigslist is fairly popular, and doesn't cost, so we decided to go that way. I have abouut 800lbs of steel plate. what I didn't want to happen is someone come over and buy up all my large plates, leaving behind all the little ones. So it was an "all or nothing" type thing. And I was hoping to get 50 cents a pound. With that, I was willing to toss in some benches and maybe even my squatting rack. This young guy calls up my son, and says he wants the equipment. To make a long story short, he really only wants some of the weight, and only wants to pay something like twenty five cents a pound. I nix the deal. But this kid doesn't take NO for an answer, so he starts calling and bugging my kid. This goes on for a couple of days. My son is a little upset, because it's almost like this other kid is turning into a stalker.

My point is that Craigslist really attracts alot of kooks out there. That and rip off artists. Sometimes it's better to avoid Craigslist in teh first place.

theminister

SI Founding Member
Reaction score

I dun even know what craiglist is. I dun even watch TV. I throw out old shit, but I tend not to buy new clothes and stuff as I have at least a 25lb range of clothes

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

I've sold my school books with much success but that's it. I know one lady that buys shit for real cheap then turns around and sells it on ebay for good profit...don't think she has a job though..that shit is time consuming.

R1rider

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

ive sold a bunch of stuff on craigslist and ebay, that sold pretty quickly

i tend not to buy anything of craigslist tho

TR90125

Reaction score

I just got done selling a ton of assorted mountain bike related shit and raised quite a few bucks = mad money. I kind of got hooked on it and found myself scouring this house looking for stuff to sell.

I listed a ton of items with a start bid of 99 cents and offered free shipping and came out ahead on all but one item. Glad it is over now though, it was a lot of work.

AndroSport

Traptheend
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

been doing that shit since before I could drive to earn money... not as much lately but i have made good cash over the years.

Reaction score

I've sold several items on Craigs including a motor home, custom reptile enclosures that I built, and some of my wood art. Don't know if it is worth it. Lots of scammers and out right idiots! Example: gave directions to a guy from Idaho. Motorhome in driveway, me mowing front yard, car slows down,shut mower down, guy drives off,start mower up, 20 mins. later guy calls back and said he can't find my house, I ask if he drives red car and did he slow down in front of a house with a motor home that's for sale and an extremely handsome,built guy mowing the front yard? He says YES!!! How did I know that? Hung up phone. Truly happened! He wasn't the only goofy f*** either. You CAN sell some things but it can drive you nuts.

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Pro, I dabbled quite a bit in online selling through both Craigslist and EBay. EBay for the more valuable items, such as silver and gold coins and Craigslist i sold office furniture, old gym equipment, ect. You can make some good money on side, for sure. The way I always did it, is if there was something i didn't use, like, or want anymore......slap on Craigslist...some one out there will want it!

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

My first experience was several years ago. While hunting for a Pixster for my kids I was looking on ebay and checking local stores. The whole damn country was after these things and they were plentiful in S. FL. Well, you don't have to be a genius....I bought about 35 from various stores and sold them well below asking price on Ebay and made about $2k. It was a fun experience, I had the world by the balls, I was kicking ass and taking names, I was....ok, but it was cool!

New Threads