Spoons KILL

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Morbidly obese people everywhere, yet I see no end to producing spoons.

g0re

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well they are banning all sorts of shit in NYC, like sodas at the movies and what not .....

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well they are banning all sorts of shit in NYC, like sodas at the movies and what not .....

Yep, that will save me from myself ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i love me some grilled cheese

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This is not meant to be a political comment, but it's going to come off as one... It seems like every president throughout history has had a wife that take some sort of cause under her wing, and it's not secret that michelle has taken child obesity as hers. I have absolutely no problem with this as it is truly an epidemic that touches us all. What i DO have a problem with is the way that she is going about championing her cause. It started as simple programs such as exercising more, teaching parents how to cook healthy meals for their children, given healthy guidelines, etc... But it has turned into MANDATING school lunch programs adhere to strict guidelines, pushing for banning of products in schools, movie theatres, restaurants, etc... This, IMO, is far overreaching. What we have is someone with ZERO political experience pushing an agenda, and doing it quite successfully because of her relationship to the move powerful man in the country. Once again, this is not political commentary on the president or his wife, the fact is that it could just as easily been Mrs. Bush, Mrs. Romney, or Mrs. Clinton doing the exact same things.

I agree 100% that it is a problem that needs to be tackled, but there are better ways of going about it.

When I was a kind my parents restricted everything that I ate. I would only get sweets on holidays, would never have candy, no fatty meats. Lots of vegetables, brown rice, lean meats. I was never allowed fast food and we never went out to eat. Pizza was a twice a year affair. As a result, when I had more freedom and a job (high school) I binged on all the foods that I was not allowed to have and have battled it every since. I FIRMLY believe that my psychological battle with shit food stems from the fact that I was not even allowed these foods in moderation as a child. The exact same thing will happen with the kids these days if they are too restricted. We will have a country full of healthy elementary school kids, overweight middle school kids, and obese high school kids. MODERATION IS KEY.

gfunky

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This is why I prefer sporks!

StoliFTW

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeh I don't agree with the whole banning certain size foods... What if you want to share that Xtra large soda with your friend? What about the Xtra Large fries?

What's next?

If you want to eat and become fat - then fine.. I don't care..The problem are not the sizes but the mentality and willpower of people. Proper Education is key. It starts with us as parents.

Shane1974

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey....I have a novel idea! Why don't we take responsibility for educating our own children about nutrition and fitness??

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeh I don't agree with the whole banning certain size foods... What if you want to share that Xtra large soda with your friend? What about the Xtra Large fries?

What's next?

If you want to eat and become fat - then fine.. I don't care..The problem are not the sizes but the mentality and willpower of people. Proper Education is key. It starts with us as parents.

Enough fucking idiots telling me what to do and say, I don't need ANYONE to tell me how much to eat.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
love you spongy and I had the same upbringing you did and had no issues because of it...I think it was exactly how it should be even today BUT kids are spoiled, parents are lazy and it's just too easy to not give a fuck. I do agree that things can go to far with the banning but because of my lifestyle, I don't really feel sorry for kids that can't have candy or sodas......If I had children, I would bring them up the way I was no doubt about it! :)

TR90125

Reaction score
I love fat people. If everyone had 8% body fat, I'd be considered fat......Lol

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree with you, but i think it depends on the kid. I'm glad that you had no issues, but it all seems to depend on the person. I think the biggest problem was that I dated a girl all through high school that had a family that did not eat healthy foods and I kind of fell into it. It wasn't until I turned 18 that I realized I was headed down a BAD BAD BAD path. I don't feel sorry for those kids either, but I DO think that moderation is ok. The kid wants a cookie a couple times a week? Shoot, ok. It's when it becomes a daily thing, and when parents start feeding kids crap just to get them to shut up, that it because a problem

love you spongy and I had the same upbringing you did and had no issues because of it...I think it was exactly how it should be even today BUT kids are spoiled, parents are lazy and it's just too easy to not give a fuck. I do agree that things can go to far with the banning but because of my lifestyle, I don't really feel sorry for kids that can't have candy or sodas......If I had children, I would bring them up the way I was no doubt about it! :)

g0re

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My kids take two healthy snacks to school (apple sauce, Clementine's, grapes, ect) and after dinner they are allowed a special snack, like pudding, brownies, fruit snacks.

No candy tho.

Maybe once a week when we have pizza we have soda, other than that we never have soda. 100% juice boxes, white grape juice, OJ, ect.

Shit, I eat way worse than they do

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Too many unaccountable parents is the problem.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree with you, but i think it depends on the kid. I'm glad that you had no issues, but it all seems to depend on the person. I think the biggest problem was that I dated a girl all through high school that had a family that did not eat healthy foods and I kind of fell into it. It wasn't until I turned 18 that I realized I was headed down a BAD BAD BAD path. I don't feel sorry for those kids either, but I DO think that moderation is ok. The kid wants a cookie a couple times a week? Shoot, ok. It's when it becomes a daily thing, and when parents start feeding kids crap just to get them to shut up, that it because a problem

I see your point about your upbringing and I'm all for moderation..just wish others would catch on!

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
But wait.... don;t we NEED the Government to tell us what to eat, and how much, and when, and who should pay what for it? I mean after all, the Government is supposed to be taking care of us, providing phones, healthcare, retirement, housing, food coupons, free education, and health care ... aren't they?

Here's a novel idea.... think about this:

Divide the country in half. Give one half to Democrats and the other half to Republicans.

Which half do you think will NOT be able to pay for itself? Which half do you think will prosper??

Ding Ding Ding.... times up.... oh, and speaking of time, the government says to change your fucking clocks... twice a year..... to and from the same time....

Autonomous,
Vette

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with the banning of sodas people have the right to make there choices, with kids I have to say to each it own but with my kids i always make sure that they eat there rice and beans meats some veg, for snack I always have special k cereal bars , fruits and yogurt . Once in a while like once a week they r allowed to have candy and cookies if they ate all there food .

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It ALL comes from the parents,...chances are fat kid, fat parents. I constanlty try to keep myself in check with it's prejudices, lifestyle, etc. but kids model behavior especially when they're young. What your tired, you've been working all day...let your kid have at the snacks and play call of duty all day!!! I know it's easy but pushing a button would be no easier...kids do everything we do and learn everything from us. I know I'm being Captain Obvious on this one but I see it everday. The coach isn't playing me kid that's not fair...."Look at your kid, look at you...you're a piece!!!!"

Christosterone

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I couldn't buy a car until I could dunk with my left hand.

New Threads