What motivates you

SystM

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm starting this thread bc I am starting a prep and I think it's very important to self motivate and get ones self truly excited about not only the end result of the work but the work it self

Being new to the board, I would link to hear any and all means of motivation by the members here at SI

What gets you amped?
Why do you do what you do?

A question as simple as this can truly help you set goals for your self to of course accomplish those

I am a very intense visual person
I get motivated and inspired by pictures and videos,
Although music is a huge part of that presentation I wanted to share a video that I saw today which has a ton of powerful clips

Enjoy guys!

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
what gets me motivated to be a 212 pro one day is to c people like kai victor from out the neck of my woods make it. when i c videos of branch or dorian gets amped and ready to kick some ass:tren:

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Dubstep motivation.

StoliFTW

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I get motivated by all the hot chicks checking me out.

Times Roman

Reaction score
Jack LaLanne motivates me.
Growing old and beating father time motivates me
Being able to lift more than the kids at the gym motivates me
Being on this board motivates me
Hardwood motivates me
Having my friends tell me i need to relax and enjoy life more than just being at the gym all the time motivates me
Seeing others my age all fat and blubbery motivates me

There's more....

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
anger motivates me..before I go to the gym I try to get my self as pissed as I can.Usually I like to look at ex gf pics or think of stuff that bothers me.It works for me

Cashout

Reaction score
When I started bodybuilding 27 years ago, I had specific goals that motivated me to act.

By the time I was 23 years old, I had achieved all of those goals. At that time, I when through a period of where I tried to figure out "why" I felt so compelled to keep bodybuilding even though I had no goals to achieve any longer in bodybuilding.

After some self-inspection, I came to understand that bodybuilding was no longer about "goals" or "motivation" for me. The processes involved in being successful in bodybuilding had become my principle focus - vision, discipline, commitment, planning, execution, where all things that enabled me to will myself to bodybuilding titles. I recognized that these were and still are the very things that also created successes in the other areas of my life - be it college, grad school, my businesses, or anything else I opted to pursue - the success factors were and still are the same.

So, bodybuilding is not about motivation for me per se. It is the set of processes through which I refined the tools required to create and sustain my successes in life.

I've tried to explain this to a lot of folks but most never seem to understand it.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Holy crap cashout, fantastic response!

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
37 years at this.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
anger motivates me..before I go to the gym I try to get my self as pissed as I can.Usually I like to look at ex gf pics or think of stuff that bothers me.It works for me

have you ever thought of therapy? JK:) Do what you do!

pirovoliko

Reaction score
for me its simply about setting a goal...I detest failing....

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I am also a very visual person so the mirror motivates me HUGE! I also have a few fitness chicks I follow and they motivate me pretty big time. I also like the fact that I am 45 and can go to the hottub to soak my aching muscles and not be ashamed when a 20 year old steps in as I look just as good, if not better in my bikini! :)

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was born into this, all the men in my faimly are big dudes and weight lifters/athletes. I remember boxing with my uncle & Dad when I was a boy and watching him & dad lift weights in their 30 & 40s. Hes 69 and dads 60 now and both run, train and each can bench 300+ still. We all try and keep up with them. That has to be me later in life or I cant eat with them at Thanksgiving. We have like 6 different birds at Gmas at the holidays.

This board motivates me as well Times Roman.

Times Roman

Reaction score
I was born into this, all the men in my faimly are big dudes and weight lifters/athletes. I remember boxing with my uncle & Dad when I was a boy and watching him & dad lift weights in their 30 & 40s. Hes 69 and dads 60 now and both run, train and each can bench 300+ still. We all try and keep up with them. That has to be me later in life or I cant eat with them at Thanksgiving. We have like 6 different birds at Gmas at the holidays.

This board motivates me as well Times Roman.

Excellent! A lifetime exercise partner!! Now if that doesn't keep one motivated, I don't know what will. And I'm assuming they are very competitive between each other?

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lately the death of grizz. He would constantly encourage me to pursue my boxing career more seriously.

I need to get to the condition again to make a run at going pro.

This life keeps me sane. I've been dealing with a lot. If I didn't have this I would feel like I have nothing left.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lately the death of grizz. He would constantly encourage me to pursue my boxing career more seriously.

I need to get to the condition again to make a run at going pro.

This life keeps me sane. I've been dealing with a lot. If I didn't have this I would feel like I have nothing left.

You being here with solid advice and leadership day in and out is something you are passing on everyday. It doesnt go unnoticed by me or the brothers that respect you. Keep it up and good luck with the pro run. I turned pro in submission grappling/juijitsu at in my mid 30s you can do it.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Excellent! A lifetime exercise partner!! Now if that doesn't keep one motivated, I don't know what will. And I'm assuming they are very competitive between each other?

Yeah weve got 4 generations that wind up in the barn at the holidays and pass on this or that its awesome.

DADAWG

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
im a has been know but in my powerlifting prime the second i saw someone else in the gym lifting serious weight IT WAS ON. how dare that sum bitch manhandle the iron in my gym .the sheer exhileration you get the 1st time you get 700 or 800 pounds of weight on your back in the squat rack / monolift and realize what you are doing is truly hard to describe.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yates said it all, "Moderation in bodybuilding is a vice, moderation in discipline is failure."

JOMO

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Getting myself to my goals and succeeding. The drive just to succeed in anything in life. Lifting is a small building block leading to more successes through life. With school, work..give it your all and apply yourself.

New Threads