Thanks

Straight Razor Shaving............

....This will be my first attempt at straight razor shaving. Always wanted to try it, never have. Really tired with the crappy shave I get with the disposables, and the cost of disposables at Costco keeps going up while the quality seems to always be going down.

....So I figured it was time to Man Up and take the plunge.

Anyone else straight razor shave? Any advice? Been watching the YouTube videos, so I think I get the general idea?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,986 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Straight Razor Shaving............

Ah theres an old school barber shop in OKC that does it for you. Hot towel, hot shaving cream. Its the best shave Ive ever had. Was cool when Im up there I stop in and get it done along with a hair cut. They even have a shoe shinner in there. The TV plays Gunsmoke reruns its awesome.

If your doing it your self be careful.

Thanks

i had it done one time at a place called Man Kind when I lived in Ft. Lauderdale. The place had a great concept. Flat screen tv, sports always on. Pool table. Free draft beer while waiting. Shoe Shine. Manicure/Pedicure. Massage. Haircuts and Shaves.

Best shave I've ever had as well

Thanks

I've been using a straight razor for a couple years. First you need a quality razor that is truly shave ready sharp and already stropped. You need to learn what it feels like when it is sharp. The first time don't even go for a full shave. Just do both cheeks with the grain. Use you cartridge razor to finish up. If you have trouble finding a good sharp one or having one you have found properly sharpened let me know. I'll send you one you can practice with.

Thanks

Times, have you considered a safety razor? Much easier to use and will give most of/if not all the same benefits. My shave is much closer, more comfortable, and causes less irritation than with those 5 blade cartridges.

Thanks

After getting used to it you will discover its the only way to shave...not to mention it becomes a hobby with the different razors and accessories..

Thanks
    Thanked 18,093 Times in 7,788 Posts

Straight Razor Shaving............

Originally Posted by pirovoliko View Post
    After getting used to it you will discover its the only way to shave...not to mention it becomes a hobby with the different razors and accessories..
    Expensive hobby!!!
    "Overzealous dosing" -Jin

Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,793 Posts

If you guys need someone to practice on I have an uncle that I can volunteer. Hmm, anyone want to practice an Italian neck tie? He's up for that too.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Dfeaton View Post
    If you guys need someone to practice on I have an uncle that I can volunteer. Hmm, anyone want to practice an Italian neck tie? He's up for that too.
    I was told not to use a horizontal sawing motion when practicing on your uncle? =)

Originally Posted by Azog View Post
    Times, have you considered a safety razor? Much easier to use and will give most of/if not all the same benefits. My shave is much closer, more comfortable, and causes less irritation than with those 5 blade cartridges.
    not really. I don't use a 5 blade cartridge. Just a disposable double edge, which is a piece of shit.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Ron View Post
    I've been using a straight razor for a couple years. First you need a quality razor that is truly shave ready sharp and already stropped. You need to learn what it feels like when it is sharp. The first time don't even go for a full shave. Just do both cheeks with the grain. Use you cartridge razor to finish up. If you have trouble finding a good sharp one or having one you have found properly sharpened let me know. I'll send you one you can practice with.
    Thanks for the offer. My woman got me one from Germany (I think) the other day. Sharp as ****. lightly shaved my arm (dry) just to check it out, and the hair came off immediately. I will take your advice on just the cheeks the first time though and finish up with the disposable razor. Someone was saying to learn to shave my right side with my left (passive) hand, and another said only shave with your dominant hand. What do you think?

Thanks

I can do most things with either hand. When shaving I switch back and forth, jerking off I prefer the left. There is a huge difference between shave the hair off your arm sharp and shaving sharp. If your Razor is from the factory sharp you will have a rough time of it though you will remove some whiskers. You'll have to use too much pressure and that will lead to nicks and cuts. If you are too much of a "gotta do it myself" kind of guy, like I am, you can teach yourself how to properly sharpen it. Pick up a Norton 4000/8000 combo water stone and watch some more you tube. You can probably find one at the Woodcraft store in Livermore. You'll need a decent Strop too. It is a bit much at first, but once you have these items they will last a lifetime and more.

Thanks

i have a modest straight razor collection because i like them but i dont shave with one.

Thanks

the barber I go to won't provide a shave.

Thanks

Originally Posted by PillarofBalance View Post
    Expensive hobby!!!
    Its ridiculous just how expensive it can get POB as Im sure you know..

Thanks

Always wanted to, would love to find an old barbershop that does it. Straight Razors are bad ass, check out the scene in the new bond film.
    Chances are if you busting a nut, you're having a good time!

Thanks

Expensive hobby!!!
    I didn't buy any of this, but let's see....

the blade is probably a hundred "ish"?

leather strop, guessing $50?

I still have to mount my leather strop, so I still havent' had my first shave yet.

but then there is the cost of the annual sharpening, i'm guessing another $30 or so?

then there is the other stuff you need either way, so not really relevent for a cost comparison

soap cup/brush
    soap

Thanks

Expensive hobby!!!
    *Very* expensive hobby. I myself collect, and strictly shave only with DE's or Straights, and sometimes shavettes.

Nothing like shaving with a straight,or using a badger brush to create an awesome lather. If you guys have any questions about shaving with any of these,tips and what not, shoot me a PM!
    Proud Supporter of single MILFS

Thanks

Originally Posted by HH View Post
    *Very* expensive hobby. I myself collect, and strictly shave only with DE's or Straights, and sometimes shavettes.

Nothing like shaving with a straight,or using a badger brush to create an awesome lather. If you guys have any questions about shaving with any of these,tips and what not, shoot me a PM!
    what brand straight razor ?

Thanks

Uh, **** NO!

I use one of those five blade titanium safety razors... if they had one with ten blades, I would buy that.

I do have a razor strap, a 1940s straight razor and some shaving balm my old man gave me but no way that thing gets anywhere near my face or neck.

Call me chicken... but this pretty boy is keeping his youthful appearance as long as possible...

...although chicks do dig scars.....

...hummmm... I'll get back to you on this one....

Smooth,
    Vette
    Hung like Einstein and Smart as a Mule.

Thanks

Originally Posted by 63Vette View Post
    Uh, **** NO!

I use one of those five blade titanium safety razors... if they had one with ten blades, I would buy that.

I do have a razor strap, a 1940s straight razor and some shaving balm my old man gave me but no way that thing gets anywhere near my face or neck.

Call me chicken... but this pretty boy is keeping his youthful appearance as long as possible...

Smooth,
    Vette
    I was thinking of getting a straight razor setup for my balls. What's the worst that can happen?

Thanks

Originally Posted by 63Vette View Post
    Uh, **** NO!

Smooth,
    Vette
    my woman thinnks I'm crazy. I seem to cut myself anytime i start slicing meat for BBQ!

Originally Posted by 69nites View Post
    I was thinking of getting a straight razor setup for my balls. What's the worst that can happen?
    Well, you could end up as a permenent member of the Vienna Boys Choir, Saprano section?