Weight vs work

SystM

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
SI,
the more and more clients i come across, the more and more i see the OBSESSION of weight used or that thereof the ''intensity'' of one workout.
Now we all know we need to use challenging, progressive weight to gauge strength and size gains, and in all things equal a stronger muscle is a bigger muscle. COMPLETELY AGREED..BUTTT what is the road we take to get that muscle stronger?

WORK
i firmly believe that the more work that is done during a set workout, the more the physique will show as far as appearance. This means pushing yourself past a certain ''intensity'' one is not used to..
this does not always mean upping the weight or adding sets

-amount of time training
- time under tension
- rep tempo
- pre exhaustion
- force reps it goes on and on!

i wanted to write this make sure every remembers to think outside the box and allow the gym to full of possibilities and that EVERY BODY is different and may need a finishing touch only that end user can find/feel/

its far too easy to get wrapped up in the workouts you always do or what this pro is doing etc

one thing i have done over the years is time my workouts.
my last chest and shoulder day took me 47 minutes to complete, now i am not resting that often but how my CHEST workouts are set up is a isolated movement to promote blood flow, followed by a compound movement, to a movement where my body is moving through motion to what i call a FLUSH set or a pain tolerance set FOR TIME.

here is what it may look like
pec dec 3-5 sets for x reps until pumped

incline db
3 sets 10-20 reps
- set of halfs from the top and bottom with a heavy weight for over load

SIde lateral rasies seated Heavy
4 sets of 8 reps
drop to
Bent over laterals till failure

Dips
3-5 sets with weight for 12-15 reps

Pain tolerance/flush set
smith cut throat ( bench press to the neck) with 135 for as many reps as possible in 90 seconds

so in exit, if your stuck at a certain strength plateou or maybe having issues developing certain muscles... TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT!

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX :)

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
And this, my friend, is why I have you plan all my routines. Excellent write up!

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If I understand this correctly we have similar principles in powerlifting. I will expand more when at my computer... I'm liking this thread! I see some good arguing coming up!!!

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Going along with what POB said about powerlifting, thats why I like the west side method. You have 1 day for max effort and stacking the plates on, and another day that is the dynamic effort which ends up being your volume day also. Secondary bar movements (another form of the same exercise) is a nice part of the system also. So you have 4 days of focus on the big 3 and then 3 days to fill in with accessory work.

SystM

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed west side training. Louie actually helped me outfit my gym

Vids coming soon!

pirovoliko

Reaction score
-amount of time training
- time under tension
- rep tempo
- pre exhaustion
- force reps it goes on and on!

the factors you listed completely eclipse amount of weight used in importance. Weight is the least important factor in lifting if you know what youre doing and know how to mainpulate those variables for great gains. Thanks for posting..

New Threads