A few DNP myths you'll hear

Reaction score
Whenever the topic of DNP comes up, you can count on a few myths reappearing right along with it. Without being details to the point of tedium, let me just refer to a few of them.

1. "DNP is rat poison, man!" Well, no it's not. You'll also see DNP described as insecticide, pesticide, etc. The basis for the claim is that DNP does inhibit fungal growth so it has a use in agriculture to protect plants. And in high doses it, like most anything, can be fatal to an animal that ingests it. But it's not a very effective toxin (since it takes a high dose of something noxious) to have any such result, so it's no more useful as "rat poison" than claiming that salad dressing or window cleaner are "rat poison" because an animal consumed enough of it would, well, die. This hysteria is based on the idea that naming the scariest product that a substance is found in is the same as impugning the ingredient itself. But by that logic, beer cold be impugned as "cadaver preservative" because they both contain alcohol. The fact that something scary contains an ingredient doesn't mean EVERY use of that ingredient is linked to that one cherry-picked scary example. Hell, beetle shells are used to make red food dye; does anyone go around screaming that popsicles are "mashed up bugs, man!"?

I will concede this point: most cheap DNP on the market is an industrial-grade powder. That means it was produced for the mining and agriculture industries, and is not made cleanly. This is where the quality of your source makes a difference. If you bargain-shop for the cheapest stuff out there, you'll get a basic industrial DNP powder scooped from barrels. A premium source will be able to provide lab-created crystalline DNP with a 99% assay...clean stuff.

2. "DNP cooks you from the inside out!" No it doesn't. As soon as someone says this, I know I'm dealing with a moron. DNP has a very minor effect on core temperature (like, 2 degrees at an EXTREME case), and most of the heat effect is at the skin surface level. The heat is caused by additional expenditure of muscle energy to accomplish work, which means that at its most intense DNP is causing your muscle cells to do what exercise does--and you get hot because of it. Nobody goes around worrying that weightlifting cooks you from the inside out. The heat is a normal effect of a normal body process: burning calories in muscle cells. The myth is about as stupid as saying that drinking water "drowns you from the inside out!"

3. "I know a guy who DIED using that stuff!" I call bullshit on this. This is the "My great-grandmother was full-blooded Cherokee" trope of DNP falsehoods: a gazillion people repeat the claim, but you can roll your eyes when you hear it. The fatalities from using DNP did indeed happen when it was used in the early 20th century as a fat loss agent, but it was because people were inventing the dosing protocol themselves without encapsulation or digital scales. They were just making up their regimen on their own. To my knowledge, the last documented DNP fatality was in the 1990s when an unfortunate member of the Elite board did indeed die. In context, though, he was someone who had previously confessed to mixing DNP with street drugs, and then going out to binge drink all night at dance clubs. He had contradicted every single common sense protocol for safe use.

In reality, DNP is quite hard to die from, and here's why: it has a short life in the body (36 hours or so), and it takes 2-3 days for the full effect of a dose to accumulate. This means that people have plenty of time to assess their tolerance as they start with a low dose, and if they become uncomfortable with it they can realize it and mitigate their use with rather quick response time by their bodies. It becomes a self-limiting experience: if you're on it and you feel like the potency is too tough, you simply stop taking it and your body adjusts rather quickly to the diminished dose. Nobody who's reached the peak of their tolerance is likely to keep gulping down more.

Also, the fatal dose for DNP is measured in grams per body weight. For an average male, the fatal dose is about 3.5-4 grams of DNP. Most DNP products are dosed at 200mg per capsule; mine are 250mg (more on that later). That means that a healthy guy would have to take about 15-20 capsules AT ONCE to reach this dosage. The average daily dose for proper DNP use is 1-3 caps per day. As you can see, it's not even close. So when guys swear that they "know a guy" or they "heard about this one guy" or their cousin "knows a guy" or their sister works at a hospital "where this guy came in" and died on the stuff, it's nonsense.

3.5: "Crystalline DNP is 25% weaker than regular DNP." I hear this about once a month. By weight, there is truth to this because the addition of a salt to the molecule means that, milligram-to-milligram, crystalline DNP does contain a slightly smaller quantity of the pure DNP chemical itself. But here's the thing: someone years ago casually wrote "25%" and since then people have pulled out their calculators as if it's gospel, to conclude that a 250mg capsule of crystal "only has 187.5 milligrams of DNP in it!" [*facepalm!*] Someone took the "25%" offhanded comment and ran with it; these are the same guys who think "my college textbooks weigh a ton" is an accurate description of a 2,000-pound reading list. And more to the point, would it even matter? I mean, we're talking a few grains of powder in a dosage measured in hundreds of milligrams. I do dose my capsules at 250mg instead of 200 to offset this--it's only fair to buyers to give them a proper product--but that's not confirmation that crystal DNP is "weaker." Its actually premium-quality stuff, but the nerds with calculators miss the point.

4. "DNP makes you go blind." Again, no it doesn't. There is an increased risk for cataracts, but here's the thing: it only happens in women, not men, and only in 1-2% of female users. And if a female use takes a quercetin supplement (which is as cheap as dirt), it even eliminates THAT tiny rate of risk.

5. "DNP causes cancer." This one is so wrong it proves that the critic just makes shit up to say it. DNP not only does not cause cancer, it actually INHIBITS cancer cell growth while protecting surrounding healthy cells. That's right! While it's true that some phenols are carcinogenic, DNP isn't one of them. DNP attacks tumors and helps eradicate cancer cells. And it does this while protecting DNA and RNA strands. This isn't some apocryphal claim on my part; it's one of the more prominent qualities of DNP in medical applications and you can find multiple articles on pubmed that sustain it. DNP also has antioxidant properties, but I still advice users to supplement with other antioxidants too.

6. "DNP is toxic." This one is true. It is legally classified as a toxin. But wait, WHY is it classified as a toxin? Because when ingested by animals, it can cause sweating and weight loss. In other words, the whole point of using it IS the basis for its classification. Meanwhile, DNP has no adverse effects on organ systems, reproductive health (that is, offspring born to parents using DNP at conception are not shown to be harmed), liver, brain, kidneys, etc. Its function as a mitochondrial uncoupler isn't even bizarre; DNP simply causes a far more dramatic process of uncoupling than other known uncouplers also do. Example? Fish oil is a mitochondrial uncoupler. Uncoupling isn't defiance of nature; DNP just makes it happen more than normal.

7. "DNP is a drug." It's not. It's not a drug, or a scheduled substance. It doesn't show up on drug tests. It's a chemical, and hopefully everyone here knows that while all drugs are chemicals, not all chemicals are drugs. DNP is regulated by law to prohibit misuse, improper disposal, improper transit, and because in its raw form it is very combustible (so it's not something you want to buy from a source using paypal from your gmail/AOL/yahoo/hotmail account sent from your iphone). It's still something a good source has to be very careful with: access to a lab who can provide it discreetly, and privacy while transacting. But it's not drug use or drug dealing.
Has anyone experienced loose stools while on DNP? I’ve been having them and was wondering if I should just come off it. I’m doing 400mg a day

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Do you remember how long you’ve had your loose stools? And no rashes at all
it's been a minute since I've run DNP but I recall having loose stools throughout. loose, not watery.

Reaction score
Whenever the topic of DNP comes up, you can count on a few myths reappearing right along with it. Without being details to the point of tedium, let me just refer to a few of them.

1. "DNP is rat poison, man!" Well, no it's not. You'll also see DNP described as insecticide, pesticide, etc. The basis for the claim is that DNP does inhibit fungal growth so it has a use in agriculture to protect plants. And in high doses it, like most anything, can be fatal to an animal that ingests it. But it's not a very effective toxin (since it takes a high dose of something noxious) to have any such result, so it's no more useful as "rat poison" than claiming that salad dressing or window cleaner are "rat poison" because an animal consumed enough of it would, well, die. This hysteria is based on the idea that naming the scariest product that a substance is found in is the same as impugning the ingredient itself. But by that logic, beer cold be impugned as "cadaver preservative" because they both contain alcohol. The fact that something scary contains an ingredient doesn't mean EVERY use of that ingredient is linked to that one cherry-picked scary example. Hell, beetle shells are used to make red food dye; does anyone go around screaming that popsicles are "mashed up bugs, man!"?

I will concede this point: most cheap DNP on the market is an industrial-grade powder. That means it was produced for the mining and agriculture industries, and is not made cleanly. This is where the quality of your source makes a difference. If you bargain-shop for the cheapest stuff out there, you'll get a basic industrial DNP powder scooped from barrels. A premium source will be able to provide lab-created crystalline DNP with a 99% assay...clean stuff.

2. "DNP cooks you from the inside out!" No it doesn't. As soon as someone says this, I know I'm dealing with a moron. DNP has a very minor effect on core temperature (like, 2 degrees at an EXTREME case), and most of the heat effect is at the skin surface level. The heat is caused by additional expenditure of muscle energy to accomplish work, which means that at its most intense DNP is causing your muscle cells to do what exercise does--and you get hot because of it. Nobody goes around worrying that weightlifting cooks you from the inside out. The heat is a normal effect of a normal body process: burning calories in muscle cells. The myth is about as stupid as saying that drinking water "drowns you from the inside out!"

3. "I know a guy who DIED using that stuff!" I call bullshit on this. This is the "My great-grandmother was full-blooded Cherokee" trope of DNP falsehoods: a gazillion people repeat the claim, but you can roll your eyes when you hear it. The fatalities from using DNP did indeed happen when it was used in the early 20th century as a fat loss agent, but it was because people were inventing the dosing protocol themselves without encapsulation or digital scales. They were just making up their regimen on their own. To my knowledge, the last documented DNP fatality was in the 1990s when an unfortunate member of the Elite board did indeed die. In context, though, he was someone who had previously confessed to mixing DNP with street drugs, and then going out to binge drink all night at dance clubs. He had contradicted every single common sense protocol for safe use.

In reality, DNP is quite hard to die from, and here's why: it has a short life in the body (36 hours or so), and it takes 2-3 days for the full effect of a dose to accumulate. This means that people have plenty of time to assess their tolerance as they start with a low dose, and if they become uncomfortable with it they can realize it and mitigate their use with rather quick response time by their bodies. It becomes a self-limiting experience: if you're on it and you feel like the potency is too tough, you simply stop taking it and your body adjusts rather quickly to the diminished dose. Nobody who's reached the peak of their tolerance is likely to keep gulping down more.

Also, the fatal dose for DNP is measured in grams per body weight. For an average male, the fatal dose is about 3.5-4 grams of DNP. Most DNP products are dosed at 200mg per capsule; mine are 250mg (more on that later). That means that a healthy guy would have to take about 15-20 capsules AT ONCE to reach this dosage. The average daily dose for proper DNP use is 1-3 caps per day. As you can see, it's not even close. So when guys swear that they "know a guy" or they "heard about this one guy" or their cousin "knows a guy" or their sister works at a hospital "where this guy came in" and died on the stuff, it's nonsense.

3.5: "Crystalline DNP is 25% weaker than regular DNP." I hear this about once a month. By weight, there is truth to this because the addition of a salt to the molecule means that, milligram-to-milligram, crystalline DNP does contain a slightly smaller quantity of the pure DNP chemical itself. But here's the thing: someone years ago casually wrote "25%" and since then people have pulled out their calculators as if it's gospel, to conclude that a 250mg capsule of crystal "only has 187.5 milligrams of DNP in it!" [*facepalm!*] Someone took the "25%" offhanded comment and ran with it; these are the same guys who think "my college textbooks weigh a ton" is an accurate description of a 2,000-pound reading list. And more to the point, would it even matter? I mean, we're talking a few grains of powder in a dosage measured in hundreds of milligrams. I do dose my capsules at 250mg instead of 200 to offset this--it's only fair to buyers to give them a proper product--but that's not confirmation that crystal DNP is "weaker." Its actually premium-quality stuff, but the nerds with calculators miss the point.

4. "DNP makes you go blind." Again, no it doesn't. There is an increased risk for cataracts, but here's the thing: it only happens in women, not men, and only in 1-2% of female users. And if a female use takes a quercetin supplement (which is as cheap as dirt), it even eliminates THAT tiny rate of risk.

5. "DNP causes cancer." This one is so wrong it proves that the critic just makes shit up to say it. DNP not only does not cause cancer, it actually INHIBITS cancer cell growth while protecting surrounding healthy cells. That's right! While it's true that some phenols are carcinogenic, DNP isn't one of them. DNP attacks tumors and helps eradicate cancer cells. And it does this while protecting DNA and RNA strands. This isn't some apocryphal claim on my part; it's one of the more prominent qualities of DNP in medical applications and you can find multiple articles on pubmed that sustain it. DNP also has antioxidant properties, but I still advice users to supplement with other antioxidants too.

6. "DNP is toxic." This one is true. It is legally classified as a toxin. But wait, WHY is it classified as a toxin? Because when ingested by animals, it can cause sweating and weight loss. In other words, the whole point of using it IS the basis for its classification. Meanwhile, DNP has no adverse effects on organ systems, reproductive health (that is, offspring born to parents using DNP at conception are not shown to be harmed), liver, brain, kidneys, etc. Its function as a mitochondrial uncoupler isn't even bizarre; DNP simply causes a far more dramatic process of uncoupling than other known uncouplers also do. Example? Fish oil is a mitochondrial uncoupler. Uncoupling isn't defiance of nature; DNP just makes it happen more than normal.

7. "DNP is a drug." It's not. It's not a drug, or a scheduled substance. It doesn't show up on drug tests. It's a chemical, and hopefully everyone here knows that while all drugs are chemicals, not all chemicals are drugs. DNP is regulated by law to prohibit misuse, improper disposal, improper transit, and because in its raw form it is very combustible (so it's not something you want to buy from a source using paypal from your gmail/AOL/yahoo/hotmail account sent from your iphone). It's still something a good source has to be very careful with: access to a lab who can provide it discreetly, and privacy while transacting. But it's not drug use or drug dealing.
How did you guys get rid of the DNP rash? I just got it today around my neck and small bumps on my arms. Took clearitine hopefully that works

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
PMd you, but it just takes time. I didnt use anything.

Laser50216

Reaction score
it would be great if this was easier to find. it's something I'd like to try but with a micro dose rather than the typical 200 mg per day to see if it will still have an effect but with less negative impact on energy

New Threads