lagging, less responsive body parts

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
We all have our favorite body part that responds better than the others. Then, there that one body part that just. Never responded the way we would have liked it to.
Mine is quads. Mine are pretty strong buy they just never developed the way I would have liked them to.
My shoulders have always been my best body part. They're pretty thick with great separation between the 3 heads.
I've been doing leg presses with
Five 45lb plates / side for 20 reps heads.
Six 45lb plates / side for 20 rep
Seven 45lb plates / side for 20 reps

Leg extension
3 sets
120lbs. X 20reps

Lying Leg curls
90lbs. X 20 reps

My calfs. Are already built up enough, probably from a combo. Of genetics and playing drums all my life

So what can I do? Legs twice / week, maybe?

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
BTW If I could still edit, I could remove the typos.
I don't know what happened to my editing options

G

Georgia

I would do legs early in the week...maybe Monday (your squats, extensions, curls). Then the latter part of the week do your front squats/leg presses/leg extensions to really pound those quads.

Hitting them twice a week will bring them out twice as fast. Make sure you separate the days by minimum 2 days of rest

pirovoliko

Reaction score
Without knowing anything about you or your training history, before you consider a second day for legs, I think you need to beef up your leg routine a bit. I dont see any squats or lunges...My legs started growing big time when I said screw it and started bombing them to the point I could barely walk out of the gym. But thats just me...thats what it took for my legs to grow. And beleive me once a week is plenty...

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Have u ever tried doing low reps with heavy weight like 3 sets 6-8 reps. I find ur rep a little to high, try to mix things up, every since I've been doing Live2train mass training I've gotten great growth. U could probably give it a try .

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks, sounds like some great suggestions. I'm going to try that.
Currently, I'm doing chest on1st day, Legs on 2nd day, Back on 3rd day, shoulders 4th day, Bi's and Tri's on 5th day. I used to do 425 lb sqats, but I didn't want to stress my back aymore. How about hack sqats or Smith machine squats?

I would do legs early in the week...maybe Monday (your squats, extensions, curls). Then the latter part of the week do your front squats/leg presses/leg extensions to really pound those quads.

Hitting them twice a week will bring them out twice as fast. Make sure you separate the days by minimum 2 days of rest

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have done pyramids in the past. There has been a lot of talk about how legs respond better to higher reps in the 15-20 range. The only part I might want to develop more is the teardrop. I really want the separation. I have it everywhere else.

_

G

Georgia

Leg mass is earned through heavy weight, low reps.

You should do your smith machines squats heavy. Front squats on the smith in high reps. Do leg presses heavy. Hack squat low weight high rep. Leg extensions do many reps and low weight.

This will make your legs grow mass but the exercises that target the quads the most (hack, front squat, extensions) will be subjected to high reps which adds the shape.

I would pyramid. I always go light, a little heavier, a little heavier...up until really heavy...then go back down. Usually do 5-7 sets where the middle set is the heaviest then go back down.

Just try something different week to week till you find what works for you and something you enjoy. If you don't enjoy it you won't stick with it.

pirovoliko

Reaction score
^^^^^Great point and very true about liking your leg routine in particular...I find it helps tremendously also

FreeBirdSam

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Any lagging BODY PART Ive ever had .. was due to a LAGGING EXERCISE. When you find an exercise that you can blast away at every week and add weight on the bar or machine EVERY WEEK, that body part will be forced to grow (assuming you're in a caloric surplus and well hydrated) No need to over complicate the situation. Stronger muscle=bigger muscle.

for me its always been heavy back squats and lying leg curls immediately following.

Hollywood72

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've got the same issue with biceps. I added twenty pounds to my bb curls and weight to all the other stations and still didn't get sore. I think I'm going to go low weight and rip the shit out of it next time.

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that plan Georgia. It sounds like it's worth a try.
I'm more concerned with quads and the shape.
My leg presses are pretty heavy, I guess. 7 plates per side.
That's 630lbs, not counting the weight of the sled.
I'll increase it and go down to lower reps.
I can do 20 reps with about 5 plates on the hack squat too. I go all the way down.
I'll have to figure out how much I can do at around 8 reps,
Thanks

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Without knowing anything about you or your training history, before you consider a second day for legs, I think you need to beef up your leg routine a bit. I dont see any squats or lunges...My legs started growing big time when I said screw it and started bombing them to the point I could barely walk out of the gym. But thats just me...thats what it took for my legs to grow. And beleive me once a week is plenty...

^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^

Respect,
Vette

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Do you have a chronic low back issue? I would say that some type of squat is pretty essential. There are ways to put squats in without going real heavy. You can try slowing the reps down or doing some strip sets ect...

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Screw working those lagging body parts. Pec and calf implants are looking more realistic each and every day;-)

Before-after_PectoralImplan.jpg

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Leg mass is earned through heavy weight, low reps.

You should do your smith machines squats heavy. Front squats on the smith in high reps. Do leg presses heavy. Hack squat low weight high rep. Leg extensions do many reps and low weight.

This will make your legs grow mass but the exercises that target the quads the most (hack, front squat, extensions) will be subjected to high reps which adds the shape.

I would pyramid. I always go light, a little heavier, a little heavier...up until really heavy...then go back down. Usually do 5-7 sets where the middle set is the heaviest then go back down.

Just try something different week to week till you find what works for you and something you enjoy. If you don't enjoy it you won't stick with it.

Omg I agree with Georgia...

Your rep range is too high Rip. Everyone is different of course, but my legs didn't start growing until I started powerlifting. And boy did they grow!

Very heavy weight, 3 to 5 reps and plenty of heavy singles. But do a lot of sets.

Also, don't try and build your quads one quad muscle at a time, and don't try and build your quads separate from your hams. Think instead about training your thighs as a whole to move maximum weight.

ripped_one

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Legs can take a lot of training. They adapt quick and learn to recover really fast.

Bomb the shit out them with high reps, drop sets, super sets, and see what happens. They will grow.

Also stay away from running as it can really kill leg size and shape. Cycling on the other hand can actually develop them further.

That's about all I know abut legs...

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
No. Though, I had an issue with the Pyriformis for a while, up until about a month ago.
Boy, was that a bitch.
I love hack squats.
I'm gonna have to get back into squats. I just didn't want to put my back through that anymore, when there are Hack Squats and Leg Presses as an alternative.
I really want to bring up the Vastus Medialis.
I never do reps fast because i feel the momentum does all the work. It take the focus off the target muscle.
Thanks

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
No. Though, I had an issue with the Pyriformis for a while, up until about a month ago.
Boy, was that a bitch.
I love hack squats.
I'm gonna have to get back into squats. I just didn't want to put my back through that anymore, when there are Hack Squats and Leg Presses as an alternative.
I really want to bring up the Vastus Medialis.
I never do reps fast because i feel the momentum does all the work. It take the focus off the target muscle.
Thanks

I had the same issue in my glute. They would knot up and my whole lower back would lock up. It was awful. I would have to foam roll my glutes between sets lol

New Threads