Why are you a...

Reaction score
The other night as I was drifting off, I started thinking about when I first changed from a very casual lifter into a serious (obsessed) lifelong BB. This would of been around 82' or so. I couldn't and still can't remember exactly what triggered the change. I didn't do it to impress women or to be admired (although it definitely helps!). Training has always been about me and the desire to get as muscular as possible (obviously). I just like the look. I competed in 3 shows while stationed overseas but competition was never a big need for me. Anyway, who remembers the " why and the when" you became a BB? Just kinda curious!

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not a BB here but one thing I will never forget is the smell and the sound of the steel in the weight room. I was just a pup and had never lifted outside of my house. We didnt have weights like that. It is still something that stimulates my senses. Its hard to explain. I like the muscles and feeling in shape but that had a subconscious effect on me.

Times Roman

Reaction score
I liked the idea of finally becoming big enough as a kid where the bulllies no longer saw me as an easy target, and moved on to other marks.

I'm not a bb, and no interest/desire. But I do like the lifestyle, and I do like the "satiated" feeling I get after a good workout. It's a body buzz similar to a post sexual encounter. After sex, you have that satisfied body buzz feeling that lasts a good hour or so. For me, when I leave the gym, I get a similar feeling that lasts at least an hour or so. I'm so mellow, nothing riles me up. I'm sure it's a dopamine thing.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have a fear of turning into the skinny kid I was back in the day. I believe I have muscle dysmorphia so bodybuilding is a necessity for my sanity.

Reaction score
M2M- I credit 90% of my gains to the Mind To Muscle link. If I can't feel every rep then either my mind is wandering or going to heavy. People have come up to me in the gym and ask me how come I seem to improve while they stay the same. My fav is "you're big and built but I use alot more weight than you do!" Or " I could look like you if I used steroids". These types are dime a dozen and I don't even bother to comment or offer advice!

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
the why for me is when i first saw dorian yates on a flex magazine . i was like wtf i need to look like that guy! ive taken my bb serious since i was 23yrs old , i was off and on for a while and picked things right back up like 4 yrs ago. training hard and really watching what i put in my mouth.

Reaction score
Good Man Jada! I once was in the gym and about halfway through my arm workout when I racked the weights, looked at myself in the mirror and walked out - for a year and a half! So anyway, if you feel like taking a break, do it and don't feel guilty. I had been training straight for 15yrs. , 5-6 days wk., and all of a sudden I was like WTF, I must be crazy doing this to myself.

Thanks for reading my ramblings everyone. I don't have any friends into BB so not many chances to talk about this kind of stuff to anyone who actually gives a shit!

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Good Man Jada! I once was in the gym and about halfway through my arm workout when I racked the weights, looked at myself in the mirror and walked out - for a year and a half! So anyway, if you feel like taking a break, do it and don't feel guilty. I had been training straight for 15yrs. , 5-6 days wk., and all of a sudden I was like WTF, I must be crazy doing this to myself.

Thanks for reading my ramblings everyone. I don't have any friends into BB so not many chances to talk about this kind of stuff to anyone who actually gives a shit!

Same here GYMRATT. Out of my close circle of friends not one of them has an interest in this lifestyle. But then again my brother does and he is my best friend.

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid, I always had a high bodyfat and I never liked the way I looked. Most of my family are fat. They don't work out or care what they eat.
There are a lot of reasons I do what I do. I want and need to like what I see and be satisfied with my body image. I want to look good in a bathing suit or naked.
I guess looking good to attract women is one of my motives.
I want to maintain optimal functionality into old age. I'm 54 yrs old and I have abs. Actually, I would say my body is in better shape than most guys in their 20's and 30's, not to mention 40's and 50's.
I continue to do it because it produces results; the kind of results that I wish to attain. I don't even do cardio and I am able to stay ripped because weight training and building lean muscle mass raises the resting metabolic rate,which increases the metabolism and burns fat, even at rest.

cougar

Reaction score
Right on Rip, I'm 55. Been lifting since the 80's. All I can say is I'm ADDICTED...If I don't lift,I get depressed,I'm sure alot of brothers fill the same.If I miss a day,I fill I cheated myself. Sure I've taken lots of time off here and there. I take 5 shots a day ,I'm type 2 Dib.. So it helps with that to.. Keep it up bro,you'll live a good long life..

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not a BB here but one thing I will never forget is the smell and the sound of the steel in the weight room. I was just a pup and had never lifted outside of my house. We didnt have weights like that. It is still something that stimulates my senses. Its hard to explain. I like the muscles and feeling in shape but that had a subconscious effect on me.

sweat & iron......

good stuff

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think back when I was in high school. Wrestling and Football is what really brought me into the gym. But I laugh at myself and the poor discipline and body mechanics we had in those days. Strapping as much as we could on the bar and struggling to lift it! Lol. But needless to say something about the weight room made me study anatomy and mechanics to really get a better understanding on building quality muscle. I'm 38 now and I have been lifting at least a better part of my life. On and off, yes, but I always dedicate more of the year to training then not taking about 3-4 weeks off every year. Hell I get anxious if I'm not in the routine of my program.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I can't stand looking normal...just like everyone else! Just seeing a females arm with no definition bothers me. Sooooooooooooo I train to look different:)

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Same here Cougar. I'll be 55 in January.

Right on Rip, I'm 55. Been lifting since the 80's. All I can say is I'm ADDICTED...If I don't lift,I get depressed,I'm sure alot of brothers fill the same.If I miss a day,I fill I cheated myself. Sure I've taken lots of time off here and there. I take 5 shots a day ,I'm type 2 Dib.. So it helps with that to.. Keep it up bro,you'll live a good long life..

Reaction score
Alright everyone! Thanks for taking the time to post on this subject. At 51yrs. in Feb. I have to agree that I look better, with more muscle maturity, than I did when I was younger. I really do believe that the BB lifestyle can be the "Fountain of Youth" from young to old. Just try not to become so imersed in training that you sacrifice the other good things that are in your life. Going to the gym now but will tell a few good stories from when I was stationed in Turkey later this evening! See ya!

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, my avatar pic is me at 54 years old.
I'm not flexing...just standing there relaxed on the beach of a lake.
I am so glad that I started when I did and I continued until now.

Reaction score
RIP...Doesn't look like you will be " Rest In Peace" for quite some time! What kind of supps do you take? Any TRT or anything? Let me know.

Christosterone

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Because the pump is like cumming, I'm cumming at the gym, cumming at home, cumming all the time. -Arnold

Really, I just like to pick my chick up and manhandle her in the sack....

coltmc4545

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I lift because I feel good about myself when I do. I know I'm stronger then 90% of people in the world. I can protect my woman and the kids. I can hurt someone if they threaten my family's safety. I'm a man. My duty is to provide and protect. What good am I to my family if I'm a weak feable person? What good am I to my family if I'm a slow moving fat fuck? I lift because my little boy says he wants to grow up and be big and strong like me. I lift because it gives me confidence. It keeps me healthy. It keeps me sane. I've struggled with depression since I was a kid. Since I've dedicated myself to this lifestyle, I've never taken another anti depressant, never thought about those dark thoughts I used to. Iron has changed my life not just physically, but emotionally an mentally to. I lift because I have to. Now it's not just the chicks that stare, it's the guys too (not in a gay way) but I know why they stare. I remember first going to the gym and seeing jacked ass dudes saying to myself, "Damn that fuckers big. I wish I could be that big." Now I'm one of those guys in the gym the people first starting out are looking up to. I get asked all the time at work about dieting and lifting, almost everyday. I just got voted to lead the new health and wellness committee to try and get other people involved in good life styles. A guy at work that always tells me I look huge came to me on Thursday and said I got him motivated to get back in the gym and that he's been going for the past 2 weeks. See, it's not just my life that's improving because of iron, now my dedication is starting to help others. This is why I live this life.