hands feeling numb towards the end of a workout?

username1

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm noticing lately towards the end of a workout after lifting, my hands feel like they are going kind of numb or it's hard to get a good grip like they are wanting to fall asleep. does this happen to anybody else? could it be because of blood going to the arms/muscles so the hands start to feel like that? or is it just in my mind lol

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Happens to me every arm workout. My forearms get fucked up and my hands get numbish.

username1

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Is there any remedy? I usually have weight lifting gloves on, lately I've been trying to alternate and take them off to help get blood flowing but, doesn't seem to really work. I was looking up wrist wraps but, it says those are only for people lifting real heavy and I don't lift that heavy, says it could make things worst, muscles might not grow etc. if you're not lifting heavy.

"Wrist Wraps Disadvantages
WeightLiftingBelts.c*o*m recommends primarily wearing wrist wraps only when lifting heavy weights. If you constantly wear straps, you can stunt the development of the muscles in your forearms. A disproportionate build is unsightly and it can increase the likelihood you will suffer joint pain, muscle tears or other injuries.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/400874-wrist-wraps-for-weightlifting/#ixzz2E3kuW6Ag

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My bad I meant back workout. I don't have any answer for you, sorry. I'm here for answers too haha.

Christosterone

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Are your hands going pale, prickly? Do you lose in contraction of the had? Is it the whole hand or just a certain area, like thumb, index, middle fingers, or ring and pinky?

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Are you currently taking HGH by chance? If so, when do you pin it?

Respect,
Vette

username1

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nope not on HGH yet. If I was, I would pin at night before sleep.

My hands don't go pale, I don't think prickly either. As for the exact spot I guess it's around the fingers and maybe the palm, like I can't get a good grip on a handle / dumbell. I guess the closest way for me to describe it is when I was younger, and wake up in the morning to brush my teeth and it feels like your hand is asleep where you can't even open the cap off the toothpaste. I guess something close to that but, not quite. I guess the best way for me to describe is that I just can't do a full closed grip on a DB it's like half-assed or something, feels like there's a lack of blood flowing to my hands.

St0ked

Elite
Reaction score
Are you taking any pre-workouts?

Popeye

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Did it start after you began all the blood pressure meds/supps or have you always had this problem?

I know it's obviously poor circulation (well most likely)...are you a heavy smoker? Smoking is a cause for poor blood circulation to extremities (arms, legs, etc).

Is it only when you lift or does it happen often or more constant? Neuropathy maybe ...or inflamed nerve surroundings, that gets "pinched" when you do certain exercises.

I think many people have tingles and numb feelings every now and then, but your case sounds more pronounced.

Don't mean to ask a ton of questions BTW. I hate answering questions with questions.....lol

username1

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well I just started taking pre-workout a couple days ago, since I was trying to find more intensity and energy in the gym before that I would just sip on BCAA's during a workout. I don't know if it has anything to do with it or not, I do think that I noticed this issue a while ago but, noticing it more recently enough to finally bring up the subject. I'm not sure if I'm liking the pre-workout to be honest, I don't think I'm really noticing anything and I've tried two different ones. I might try it one more time today and if I don't notice anything I might just forget it.

That's a good point bringing up BP because yes, I am noticing it more recently. I think I have noticed it before but, not enough to where I actually brought it up to my trainer the other day and I don't like bringing up issues during my training since it makes me feel like I'm being a pussy lol Even when I have back issues I try to fight through it until I just literally can't anymore.

So it looks like it may have something to do with those two issues, pre-workout and BP. I just got my BP lowered recently it looks like, last night I checked and did two tests within 15 min. and got 133 / 71 and then 129 / 77 so we'll see if it stays in this range if this issue persists and then I might have to eliminate pre-workout and see how it effects me.

g0re

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What pre workouts have u tried that u don't notice anything from them?

username1

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Also tried C4 though that day I didn't feel as exausted towards the end of my workout. Yesterday when I took Assault, I think I had an upset stomach to begin with and was getting very exausted at the end, don't know if I was crashing from it or what but, I felt like stopping and I threw up in the bathroom at the gym lol

losieloos

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
same thing happen to me when i was taking dbol.

Times Roman

Reaction score
this could almost be similar to repetitive motion syndrome, due to inflamation of the surrounding tissue in the hands, this tissue could be pressing up against a nerve somewhere. I had this years ago when I was working at the sawmill pulling non stop heavy lumber off the green chain. I found relief at night by sleeping on my back with my hands above my head. Unfortunately, this also causes stress on the rotator cuffs.................

if this is the case, an anti inflamatory like advil or alleve my help reduce this condition?

Times Roman

Reaction score
those aren't good for your kidneys though right?

nsaids, with the exception of tylenol, get metabolized in your stomach, so not good if you have ulcers. tylenol gets metabolized in your liver, so not good when taking orals or if you are a heavy drinker.

you can stack tylenol with other nsaids (aspirin, advil) with no adverse effects beyond those of the original dose.

kidneys should not be an issue with Nsaids.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
^^^ Its like Carpel Tunnel Syndrome most likely. You've got some compression on a nerve. Get a wrist brace for CTS and wear it when you sleep.

Christosterone

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This sounds more neurological than vascular, I was asking what specific fingers because there are two different nerves that innervate the sensory fibers in hand. However since you can't grip, it could be from forearm pumps, I have gotten them after prolonged exercises. Arms swell a bit providing pressure on tensions and nerves making movement and conduction difficult

New Threads