Thread: What a waste

Thanks

What a waste

I haven't been on the board much the last week. My best girl friend came home from work to find her only child dead from a drug overdose. The poor thing performed CPR for 45 mins waiting for EMS but he had been dead for hours. He was 21 years old and just couldn't find his way after high school. 6'2" and handsome, a member of Mensa and an incredible concert violinist. He died taking over the counter cough medicine ! He had been doing it for about a year increasing the dose regularly. WTF. Can't kids just drink beer and smoke pot if they have to get wasted? She had been dragging him to counseling and a psychiatrist but he was not cooperating. She even Marchman a acted him which mean LE picked him up and took him to detox then in front of a judge that made treatment court ordered. I tried to talk to him and help where I could. Now I am trying to support her as she stares at the pieces of her shattered life. Truly sucks! Sorry brothers for laying this on you all. I felt like I had to tell someone and this place feels a lot like family to me.

Thanks

Re: What a waste

That is awful news Ron. Very sorry to hear that.

Addiction has always been an epidemic, but the past few years, all of these designer drugs and "non-traditional" substances are really screwing some people up bad. I just don't understand it.

I have lost family and friends to addiction and overdose. Using doesn't only effect the user, but family, friends, hell...the whole community. We all just have to support each other and be there for one another through hard times like this.

It's a damn shame, and I feel horrible for his mother, take good care of her Ron.

Thanks

Addiction is a horrible monster. I've seen friends ignore and defy all logic and common sense only to turn up dead or crazy, locked up or stuck in the cycle of getting high, coming down and chasing the next bender. The thing is: Addiction doesn't discriminate. Smart, good looking, rich, talented: none of it matters.

I cannot imagine losing a child, my heart goes out for her and you too Brother.
    Thugs
    Don't
    Matter

Thanks

Sorry to hear brother. Drugs have taken many friends and family. The fact that it was cough medicine is amazing to me.

Damn that lil wayne

Thanks

Sorry to hear bro. My thoughts and prayers are with you

Thanks

IM VERY SORRY TO HEAR THIS BRO! I would lose my mind if i ever lost one of my boys. I dont even wanna think about that or what she is going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys! I wish i could give you advise but i know there would be no consoling me if what i said above happened.......
    Stay modivated! You only have this life to make it happen!

Thanks
    Thanked 18,093 Times in 7,788 Posts

Almost every family has a story like this these days... Its terrible. My best friend from when I was a kid had an older brother. He went into a dunkin donuts at about 10pm one night, bought a coffee, went into the bathroom, shop up and died in there. The employees locked up and went home for the night and he wasn't found until the morning.

But cough medicine? Damn...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,793 Posts

Sorry to hear brother. I can't even bare to think about what it feels like to lose a child. Hopefully with your help she can heal & move forward.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,397 Times in 2,263 Posts

Sorry to hear this bro, I'm a recovering addict clean over 20 years.

I have lost a lot of friends and some that stayed clean a long time and went back out like my ex the mother of my kids she is a wreck right now.
    Knock Em Down and Keep Em Down!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,986 Times in 2,993 Posts

You are family here bro. She is lucky to have you to lean on. I will say a prayer for you and yours. Whats this world comming to?

You stay stout.

Thanks

Originally Posted by SFGiants View Post
    Sorry to hear this bro, I'm a recovering addict clean over 20 years.

I have lost a lot of friends and some that stayed clean a long time and went back out like my ex the mother of my kids she is a wreck right now.
    My aunt was clean for 7 years. Her and her daughter were reconnecting and the relapse happened. She exposed her daughter to heroin and overdosed months later. Her daughter is now a crackwhore who lost her kids and is following her mother's path.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,263 Times in 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by Popeye50 View Post
    T
    I have lost family and friends to addiction and overdose. Using doesn't only effect the user, but family, friends, hell...the whole community.
    ^^^

So true. My wife's aunt oldest boy got addicted to heroin and wound up dead on the dealer living floor while a party was going on. Nobody called for help, they just kept partying. He was 18 (this was 5 years ago) But the sad thing is that his mother has never been the same since, grieving every single day. I could not ever begin to understand the pain of losing a child. Our hearts and prayers go out to her... brother. And thanks for sharing the reality.

Thanks

man that is a tragedy

Thanks

This sucks!!! My nephew smoked a joint sprinkled with bath salts, went to his dad's room found his 9mm and put it to his head. Suicide two days after he turned 21. He kept telling everyone demons were coming for him?
    Chances are if you busting a nut, you're having a good time!

Thanks

very sorry
    rec drugs are ruining the country

Thanks

Sorry to hear this man. It is truly a tragedy. I will say prayers for the mom and for you as well to stay strong and by her side. Addiction seems like it hits all families. For a good three years in my late teens I was smoking pot, drinking and taking pills daily. I had an accident due to being so intoxicated and almost died. Someone was watching over me that night. But again sorry for your loss bro.

Thanks

Thank you my brothers for all of the support and prayers. She is a good lady and was a very devoted mother. I will continue to give her as much comfort and support as I can, as I would any friend. I am a bit concerned that she will interpret all of the caring as a sign that our relationship has changed to something more serious and exclusive. I wouldn't hurt her for the world but I don't want to lead her on either. It seems the right thing to do is to be there for her now when she really needs it and let the rest take care of its self.

Thanks

What a waste

Ron, if she needs you then she needs you. It's not a long term thing. It's grieving. Be gentle with her. I'm the first to be crude and encourage guys to nail everyone they can. In this case it's her need, not yours. And my friends on SI were incredibly supportive six months ago when my 15year old son's first girlfriend ended it for herself. But God, why does it happen? And then I remember where I was 18 months ago, and I know.

Thanks

Im very sorry to hear this. I have a cousin thats been addicted to those "tussin" pills (cough medicine). Hes been abusing them for years. And just like your girls son, he is a very bright kid. Its really sad. Ive tried to help every way i know how. I really feel for you and your girl.