• Meathead FTW

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
"Big Country" definitely has the edge in experience and on the ground. He's also proven to have a chin only slightly less fragile than Homer Simpson's. His best bet will be to take the fight to the ground and let his girth smother Mitrione while landing short elbows and maintaining top position.

That said, I don't see it happening that way.

Mitrione is far more athletic, has far better hand speed, better boxing and adequate takedown defense. While Nelson likely won't be stopped, I suspect he also won't be able to stop Mitrione from landing early & often from the outside, darting in & out while Nelson tries to load-up a big right hand time & again only to find that he's already eaten a 2-piece combination 'to go' from Mitrione.

Mitrione by unanimous decision.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I like Roy in this one way more experience

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'll take Roy. He has proven himself over and over again against top guys. I like both fighters though. They both seem like good ol boys.

Most importantly, thanks for posting up. I had forgot this was on.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Mitrone will not get away from Roy he is more athletic than he looks and his submissions are solid. I like Matt but hes in trouble for this one.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'll take Roy. He has proven himself over and over again against top guys. I like both fighters though. They both seem like good ol boys.

Most importantly, thanks for posting up. I had forgot this was on.

Agree. Both guys seem to fight with a laid-back, "Nothing personal, just trying to knock your head off and then we'll go for beers" mentality.

Should be a good scrap.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Roy fucked him up quickly

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There is a reason Roy was one of the most sought after heavyweight sparing partners 10 yrs ago. A big guy that has brutal submissions and can fight. Hes the Rodney Dangerfield of HW MMA, I dont think anyone really wants to fight him.

Matts stand up looked crisp and clean I was worried for a minute. Matts defense is terrible.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Wow, I under estimated Roy's ability to connect against Matt's stand-up defense! As BigGameHunter said, Matt's defense was weak and it's no mystery what Roy is coming with either.

Respect to Roy for a great fight!

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Roy at first sight looks like a unathletic fat fuck..thats the furthest thing from the truth hes a great fighter with a iron jaw.His bjj is from renzo and his stand up is nasty.He took knees from verdum that would have dropped anyone and took the best of jds.Roy is no joke

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
IMO too many guys are taking a bite here an there of different arts and only working on offense. There is more to striking than hitting focus mits. Ive done boxing for years and I always see MMA guys hitting the pads but never holding them. This is one of the best ways to work defense, range, and timing. Its a great way to learn to anticipate the movements of your partner with out worring about getting hit.

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
A lot of it has to do with being the bigger stronger guy in sparring. You are always giving and not taking. Getting sparring partners that are punching bags to make you feel good about yourself leads to what you saw with mitrione.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Great point again worm this is why Roy was in high demand as a sparing partner back in the day.

New Threads