Heads up-rims/tires

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have seen an increase in wrecks in the last 10 years that involve custom rims and tires on cars and trucks. This is a problem DOT is aware of but since they cannot lay it around the neck of a major auto producer its up to all of us to keep each other safe and take precautions. Im tired of seeing people get hurt because of this. Too many times weve rolled up on a fatality or serious injury and the person is in a nice new car with 1000 dollar rims, when if they would have paid 3500 they wouldve been better off.

1. Custom wheels and tires are nice you have to buy quality with each purchase (wheel and tire) many of the less expensive wheels are not aluminum they are a blend of cheap metal and dont dispurse heat properly and cause blow outs.

2. Many new sports cars have larger wheels in back than front. Like the new Camaro, Chrysler Crossfire, BMW 650. You cannot rotate these tires properly because of the wheel difference. Keep an eye on these and discard the tires after 20K milles or go to a quality wheel and tire distributor and spend the money on 4 wheels and tires the same size. DO NOT fall for the dealership telling you this is a higher grade of rubber on these tires. ITS NOT TRUE.

getgains

Reaction score
your right i have a family member in the wrecking biz and you see alot of that most of the cheapies are pop metal with chrome over top
i just bought a new navigator about 3 weeks ago and it came with 22inch tires and a 18 inch spare shows you how much dealers care after you sign

R1rider

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
always buy good rubber

you get what you pay for. Spending extra $ for safety never hurts

mistah187

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The other thing is when people put big rims on cars and don't upgrade the brakes as well. A disc break designed to stop a 18 is not gonna stop a 24 the same way at all.

mistah187

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Also a lot of people r not aware that if u own a all wheel drive car u r not supposed to change just one tire. If u replace one u r supposed to replace all four

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Maybe just maybe Automobile Engineers know more then some gold rimmed teeth moron? That shit looks so low life, ruins the ride, comfort and safety of the vehicle. Grow the fuck up!

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I see a 20 year old with that pants down looking bullshit on their car it's one thing.......I see a 40 year old guy, Jesus Christ what a LAME!

Shane1974

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have seen an increase in wrecks in the last 10 years that involve custom rims and tires on cars and trucks. This is a problem DOT is aware of but since they cannot lay it around the neck of a major auto producer its up to all of us to keep each other safe and take precautions. Im tired of seeing people get hurt because of this. Too many times weve rolled up on a fatality or serious injury and the person is in a nice new car with 1000 dollar rims, when if they would have paid 3500 they wouldve been better off.

1. Custom wheels and tires are nice you have to buy quality with each purchase (wheel and tire) many of the less expensive wheels are not aluminum they are a blend of cheap metal and dont dispurse heat properly and cause blow outs.

2. Many new sports cars have larger wheels in back than front. Like the new Camaro, Chrysler Crossfire, BMW 650. You cannot rotate these tires properly because of the wheel difference. Keep an eye on these and discard the tires after 20K milles or go to a quality wheel and tire distributor and spend the money on 4 wheels and tires the same size. DO NOT fall for the dealership telling you this is a higher grade of rubber on these tires. ITS NOT TRUE.

I thought expensive rims were for Snoop Dogg, bro??