Sleep Apnea

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys have experience with this? My wife wants me to get a sleep study done, and I agree with her. Sleep has not been restful and I can tell I've been snoring something fierce. It's been getting worse over the last year or two.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It will probably stop when you drop some weight ya fuckin fatty... I've started snoring since hitting 255 or so. As I keep gaining, it keeps getting worse.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hence why I'm trying to get down to 220 lol!

IWannaGetBig

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Spongy,

There for awhile I was having problems sleeping as well. I talked to my Dr. about it and he prescribed Ambien to me. At first it felt like this stuff was the wonder pill, but then I realized I was "needing" them to get to sleep and had a serious problem. Be careful if this is the route your Dr. gives to you.

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I haven't experienced this yet, nor do I want to......of course my scrawny 196 pound frame is giving me the side effects of you monsters! My father suffered it years ago, biggest thing was he needed to lose weight, but they also found out that his tongue and tonsils (he still had) were larger compared to his windpipe opening causing the apnea......other factors too like aging....my 2 cents.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yea, I never had a snoring problem when I was 180. Now, forget it! I snore like a mofo.

brown1106

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Spongy, I have sleep apnea and use a cpap machine at night. My wife alerted me couple years ago that I was snoring very loud and that I would quit breathing between some of the snoring. I had a sleep study done and sure enough they found it. I have been on a cpap since. When I use it, I feel good in the am and if not, I feel just as tired as I was when I went to bed. You will have to go to a sleep center and spend 2 nights back to back. The 1st night you will be hooked up to monitors and they will watch you as u sleep. The next night they will place a cpap on you so they can adjust your air flow. Then, if needed doc will prescribe u a machine.. Hard to get used to the face masks. Hope this helps. PS... that's one of the reasons I came to u for loosing weight..

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping that part of it is just being 270, but I'm in the process of trying to cut down to 220. I've decided that I will lose some LBM in the process, and that's fine, I just want to live a long and healthy life. I'll never go pro or compete, so theres really no reason for me to be over 240-250, even when bulking.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Snoring / apnea checking-in. Nose is all bullocksed from muay thai which contributes to my problem. I borrowed a CPAP mask from a mate for a couple of weeks and just couldn't get used to wearing the bloody thing (I toss and turn a lot at night).

Went just yesterday to my GP for a look-see and he noticed immediately that my sinuses were swollen (again, souvenirs from the fighting). He scripted me a flonase knock-off nasal spray which did seem to help a bit last night.

I suspect I'll end-up back on a cpap rig eventually.

To sleep...perchance to dream...

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping that part of it is just being 270, but I'm in the process of trying to cut down to 220. I've decided that I will lose some LBM in the process, and that's fine, I just want to live a long and healthy life. I'll never go pro or compete, so theres really no reason for me to be over 240-250, even when bulking.

I have a pizza, bacon & poptart diet if you need Spongy.

getgains

Reaction score
yeah i stop breating at night too and snore like crazy im down to 275 now and it didnt seem to help i might have to get one of those mask things

corvettels3

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My old man had it, but once he dropped some weight it went away. He had one of those "jet fighter" mask to help him breathe. Lose some weight and take if from there. Good luck..

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't want to lose my muscles :(

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have sleep apnea. I have to use a bi-pap machine (my pressures are too high for a c-pap). It has improved my life greatly. I use the nose pillows rather than the 'fighter jet' (lol) mask. It's smaller, lighter, and more comfortable.

Snoring doesn't necessarily mean you have sleep apnea:

Sleep apnoea (or sleep apnea in American English; /æpˈniːə/) is a sleep disorder characterized by abnormal pauses in breathing or instances of abnormally low breathing, during sleep. Each pause in breathing, called an apnea, can last from at least ten seconds to minutes, and may occur 5 to 30 times or more an hour.[1] Similarly, each abnormally low breathing event is called a hypopnea. Sleep apnea is diagnosed with an overnight sleep test called a polysomnogram, or "sleep study".

Please have the sleep study. Sleep apnea can be fatal.

Much Respect,
Vette

brown1106

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I use lunesta to help me go to sleep while wearing fighter mask. Vette is right, it will definately improve your life and you will feel much more refreshed. He is also right that it can be fatal. It is a fact that with SA you are more at risk for heart disease. Good post Vette...

BigFella

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
CPAP user here. It is hard to get to sleep with it, so I use it maybe 40% of the time. I would LOVE to be able to use it all the time - when I sleep with it it is beautiful. And that's the best word I can find for it. I ask my wife to wake me to get me to put it on - if she does so I can usually get back to sleep wearing it, and the benefit is huge. The things are incredibly programmable - I think I should start tweaking mine so that its easier to use.

As for them there sleeping pills (they're called Stilnox here) - they're bloody dangerous, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Or woman, in Jenner's case. I have them. One per night? I think that's within limits. Never ever more though. I had a benzo habit (prescribed, thanks doc!) a long time ago, and these pills are in the same class. (Before I quit I was up to 8 per day, and it took about three years to recover. But I usually have Valium on hand - just take them sporadically. They are the best muscle relaxant ever invented, IMHO. But there's also alcohol . . . )

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Those who sleep with the mask on, do you sleep in the fully recumbent (flat on back) position? My trouble was I tend to toss & turn (a vicious cycle perhaps: sleep apnea contributing to tossing and turning and defeating the CPAP mask...) and I prefer to sleep on my chest or side. Makes it tough to keep that bloody tube in place without getting tangled all to hell.

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Those who sleep with the mask on, do you sleep in the fully recumbent (flat on back) position? My trouble was I tend to toss & turn (a vicious cycle perhaps: sleep apnea contributing to tossing and turning and defeating the CPAP mask...) and I prefer to sleep on my chest or side. Makes it tough to keep that bloody tube in place without getting tangled all to hell.

It takes some doing to get used to sleeping primarily on your back. The answer to your question is I sleep on my back about 90% of the time. When I need to change to my side I just make sure I have plenty of hose. I'm an old pro at this thing now.... I tuck extra hose under the covers on my stomach. For those that are having a hard time getting to sleep with cpap: I had to switch to bi-pap because the pressure was so high I could not fall asleep with it. I am on my second bi-pap machine now and it adjusts the pressure based on what you need for each breath basically. I also use the nose pillow so I feel less 'restricted' and it helps as well.

I sleep every single night with it- won't/can't sleep without it anymore. Despite being fit and lean, I have a terrible case and the wear and tear on your heart and the lack of deep sleep it a heart attack waiting to happen. If you gasp in your sleep or snore/stop breathing/ gasp etc. please go get help. John Candy and a host of athletes died from sleep apnea. My non-professional opinion is that it is related to neck size (mine is 18").

Best of luck and much respect,
Vette