Bench close or wide?

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

basskiller

Elite
Reaction score
think about super setting with a dumbbell exercise along with your close grip bench

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
think about super setting with a dumbbell exercise along with your close grip bench[/QUOTE

i have just stared db benching again. I have a set of powerblocks that go up to 90#. last week was the first time i got all 90# up for 6 reps.

Bicepticon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Your upper back is weak, brother. Super set some face pulls on max effort day....then hit some type of row later in the week. Seated dumb. cleans and face pulls will give you a good foundation to press off of.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Your set up needs to change. Stop planting your feet first do that last. Need to set your grip first.

Lay on the bench and set up closer to the bar. When you unrack from so far away it flattens your back.

Set your grip. Put your feet on the end of the bench and push your hips up in the air driving your traps into the bench. Then put your feet where you desire. In your case, tuck them under you. From there, without lifting off the pad, drive your upper ass and upper back closer together while pinching your shoulder. Blades.

It should be tight and uncomfortable as hell.

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ I can tell if i'm set up right because my back muscles are usually cramping like a mofo before i even begin with the lift.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Your set up needs to change. Stop planting your feet first do that last. Need to set your grip first.

Lay on the bench and set up closer to the bar. When you unrack from so far away it flattens your back.

Set your grip. Put your feet on the end of the bench and push your hips up in the air driving your traps into the bench. Then put your feet where you desire. In your case, tuck them under you. From there, without lifting off the pad, drive your upper ass and upper back closer together while pinching your shoulder. Blades.

I must have read some where to set my feet first.
how far under the bar should i be before unracking?

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Move back as far as you can without hitting the pegs as you do your reps. I'd also think about dropping the pegs one hole. You look almost over extended to rack and unrack.

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Theres a great video out there about bench setup. I should go find it now.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

OKay so I know to you guys this is no big deal but its a new PR for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azg2NBMZ2fQ&feature=player_detailpage

G

Georgia

Was that 245 Steelers? Couldn't tell. That's great weight man!

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Was that 245 Steelers? Couldn't tell. That's great weight man!

250 thanks man . My goal when I started all this 2 years ago was 315 for 5 . I am getting closer

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
MUCH BETTER!!!!! Arch was bigger and you looked tighter overall. Remember first thing though is set the grip.

Also watch the bar path. It changes rep to rep. Find the path where you are the strongest and stick to that. Every rep must be identical.

Thanks man.
At this point I still have to remember to stay tight. I am still learning my cns.
Again thank you so much for the coaching. You rock POB!!!!!!

G

Georgia

Only PoB would notice those things. Great guy tO get advice from. He's right your path up is shaky. Find the straight and narrow!

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This week is a deload, so I wont be able to make a new vid till next week.

Thanks for the advice POB!!!

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Okay so this morning i tried to focus on bar path. I know its not perfect but better?? I know it looks like my elbows go below the bench but i think thats the camera angle, its above the bench. Also I did decide to move my grip in, its about a fingers width wider than the smooth part of the bar. It feels better on my shoulder ( was getting a tingle in the outside of my shoulder, maybe rotator cuff??)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gRG3c9IQyE&feature=player_detailpage

Thanks for looking
S4L

New Threads