Bench close or wide?

strongbow

Elite
Reaction score
Lots of good info. I think I will have to widen my grip some. 315 is my current goal on flat.
Hey check out this vid - I don't understand the form, but I saw a guy at my gym doing this. I am not hating - the girl is amazing - but what is she doing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxAc97K2I5M

MHP endorses it.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That chick is strong as hell

Maijah

Elite
Reaction score
Would that kind of an arch be acceptable at a meet?

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
like most i train both ways, wide is pinky on the ring (also my normal bench set up )

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
I do close grip with my hands about six 6 inches closer than my normal bench grip. Crushes my tris.

Assassin32

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I bring each hand in about 6 inches for close-grip. Is that what you meant Ecks?. I'm thinking about bringing my hands in on regular bench. I usually have my pointer finger on the ring, but my flat bench has stalled out and my close-grip has been skyrocketing. Leaving to bench in 15 mins, gonna try a closer grip.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
I bring each hand in about 6 inches for close-grip. Is that what you meant Ecks?. I'm thinking about bringing my hands in on regular bench. I usually have my pointer finger on the ring, but my flat bench has stalled out and my close-grip has been skyrocketing. Leaving to bench in 15 mins, gonna try a closer grip.
Yeah my normal bench grip is pinky on the ring. For close grip I bring each hand in about 5 to 6 inches. I've always done it that way and never had any wrist problems.

Reaction score
Close, mid and wide on dynamic day.
Three sets each on a 9x3. Pretty standard at this point i think.
Change grips up on any secondary work. Wide or preferred grip only on max effort day, PR.

IronSoul

Elite
Reaction score
It’s all dependent on goals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
It’s all dependent on goals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's a powerlifter. Asking in the powerlifting forum. It has been shown beyond the shadow of any doubt doing the same thing over and over will take you only so far. Then you move backwards, or get injured.
If you want to move more weight, vary grip, vary exercises.

IronSoul

Elite
Reaction score
He's a powerlifter. Asking in the powerlifting forum. It has been shown beyond the shadow of any doubt doing the same thing over and over will take you only so far. Then you move backwards, or get injured.
If you want to move more weight, vary grip, vary exercises.
Didn't notice that when I responded on my phone. Good point