Box squat height???

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Never stretch like that before you lift NEVER!

Focus on pushing your knees out and sitting back not straight down.

So the stretching was a bad thing? I am just trying to get my knees wide enough to go back instead of down. i am not really lifting any weight untill i can get the full ROM.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As much as i love the stuff Dave has for sale. I dont have the cash. The piece of plywood was 5 bucks.
Next week is a deload week for me so i think I will just keep trying to get the ROM before i add any weight.

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Most say stretch after the workout because stretching before is stressing the muscle before you lift and you will lift less. Probably what sfg was getting at. Just do more light warm up reps if you need to.

If you can't get to depth, you can get to depth. Raise your box height and work your way down as you loosen up.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I really cant thank you guys enough for helping me. It seems like clicking the thanks button isnt enough either so i though i would just make a reply and just say it .
THANK YOU

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I am going to look for the horse stall rubber mats today. This is a deload week, so I will be trying to get to depth during my 3 warm up sets.
I think I will wait till next week to make another vid, I need to get it right an stop taking up so much of your time.

Worm, SFG,
I am very thankful for your Coaching and advice

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Okay so I know i said i would not make a new vid this week, but i had to be able to see. So here it is, and yes this is kind of painfull for me.
Mentally it sucks because i had to go back so far in weight

Thanks for looking

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Rack it too high bro, you walkout sucks learn to do it correct or heavy weight will fuck you up, keep sitting back and keep at it.

Look at your knees move forward in the decent and then you lean a bit, I saw a rep where you sat down and straightened you back up on the box and got your hip back under the bar you should be in that position that whole lift on once you sit your knees even went back after going forward.

It all start with your set up and unrack!

Bro it took me a real long time to stop being timid under a squat bar a year or so but once you get over that and have your set up correct with form being good things start rolling.

If I new you I would should you how in one year I looked very timid under the bar to aggressive, it's real mental I'm a metal lifter and the squat is the most mental lift it's the most technical.

Your smart to be on a box it's how to learn, go look up Dave Tate on the box squat on you tube.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I did feel like the rack was too high, I think since I am using a wider stance. That set was a new experience for me, I was noticing muscles in my legs I didn't know were there. I guess maybe I am quad dominant? I don't know if that makes sense or not. I am surely going to go very slow with my weight. Does it at least look like I am headed in the right direction? I know I have a ways to go but as long as I am still making progress, I am not giving up.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I did feel like the rack was too high, I think since I am using a wider stance. That set was a new experience for me, I was noticing muscles in my legs I didn't know were there. I guess maybe I am quad dominant? I don't know if that makes sense or not. I am surely going to go very slow with my weight. Does it at least look like I am headed in the right direction? I know I have a ways to go but as long as I am still making progress, I am not giving up.

You're not so much quad dominant as your glutes are weak. People that box squad and are quad dominant shift their weight forward when the try to get off the box. They put the bar over their quads. If you have strong glutes you'll stay mostly upright, tight arch, and your knees will be behind the heels. When you get off the box, flex the hips first. You do this by pushing out on the sides of your feet, and leading with the chest upwards.

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lower the bar on the rack like SFG said. Its too high and you are unracking with your back and not your legs. You want to get under the bar, wedge yourself in there nice and tight and unracking the weight should just be standing up. Only movement should be to straighten your legs. Stabilize yourself after the unrack and then step back.

You are still having trouble pushing your knees out and sitting back. Raise your box height and work on just pushing your knees out and sitting back. I can tell you now, you arent going to learn that anytime soon without squatting on a high box first. Dont get down on yourself. Form first and the weight will come with it.

Since you have a rack, get some small chains and hang the bar in the chains and do some good mornings. Good mornings will get your back side strong. They are using a cambered bar but you can do it with your straight bar. This video shows what im talking about.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You guys have all been a great help. One of my next questions was going to be what else can I do to fix my problems and its already been answered.
Also I have a safety bar for good mornings. Should I just focus on that for a month?

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You can work it in a couple different ways. Do it as a secondary movement after your max effort work or if you want to go heavy on good mornings do squats as secondary movement. I don't know what your lower body day looks like but it shouldn't be squats or deads only.

You can also throw in some straight leg deads from a 1-2" deficit after your heavy squats. You can use lighter weight for this and do more reps.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I just got to watch the video . That is awesome, I definitely will not be using that much weight but will be trying to do it. I work in construction, so the chains are easy, I have some in the garage.

Thank you guys again for taking an interest in this old guy
S4L

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Watched it real quick on my phone.

Squat. I still don't think your feet are wide enough and you aren't pushing your knees out. You start to sit back and then go straight down, this is because your knees aren't going out. You let your air out on at least two of the reps while sitting on the box. Can't stay tight if you don't have your air. I don't see a belt. Get a belt when you can. It will help you understand getting air and holding it.

GM. Well that wasn't a gm at all but I'm sure it worked something. Imagine a gm being similar to a straight leg dead lift with the weight on your back.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
You need to sit on the box longer and try and sit back as far as you can while keeping the bar under your hips.

Looked good but either pause longer on the box or remove the box as a box squat is to sit back and pause not touch and go.

New Threads