High Iron

IWannaGetBig

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Was just wondering if any of you have ever experienced having high iron or know of anyone that has? And if so, what did you do to help lower this number? Last week when I had my blood drawn, the lady told me my iron level was at a 19. She said that this is high. If memory serves me, last time I gave blood they mentioned this and I didn't really take notice of it until this time.
Turns out, there is only two ways to get rid of excessive iron in the body..giving blood every 2 weeks, or a shot of a medication called Deferoxamine - Administration for chronic conditions is generally accomplished by subcutaneous injection (SQ infusion) over a period of 8–12 hours each day. Deferoxamine acts by binding free iron in the bloodstream and enhancing its elimination in the urine.

regular

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Are you taking any supplements? If so, what are they?

amore169

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I donate blood every three months, i had the same number as you. After donating it comes down to low 13.

IWannaGetBig

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Are you taking any supplements? If so, what are they?

Interesting that you ask this. I take Assault for a Pre-Workout, not everyday, but most. The last 2 times I've taken it I've had to sit down and compose myself because I thought I was about to pass out. And both times it was in the middle of super sets. I was thinking possibly the Magnesium??
Additionally:
Protein Powder
BCAA's
Milk Thistle
1-81mg Aspirin/day

Recently finished cycle and about to start PCT.

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
what was ur last cycle?

IWannaGetBig

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I donate blood every three months, i had the same number as you. After donating it comes down to low 13.

My next time I'll be doing the ALYX machine and giving 2 units instead of the usual 1 unit..this should help as well.

regular

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Interesting that you ask this. I take Assault for a Pre-Workout, not everyday, but most. The last 2 times I've taken it I've had to sit down and compose myself because I thought I was about to pass out. And both times it was in the middle of super sets. I was thinking possibly the Magnesium??
Additionally:
Protein Powder
BCAA's
Milk Thistle
1-81mg Aspirin/day

Recently finished cycle and about to start PCT.

Look at the iron content on all of the labels of the products you're using multiplied by the amount of servings you're having. Do the math to see if your supplements are providing an abundance of iron. Are you consuming foods which are high in iron ?

IWannaGetBig

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Look at the iron content on all of the labels of the products you're using multiplied by the amount of servings you're having. Do the math to see if your supplements are providing an abundance of iron. Are you consuming foods which are high in iron ?

Nothing on the labels looked remarkable.

Christosterone

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You ever hear a family member mention hemochromatosis? Or die in 50s or 60s from heart or liver failure?

IWannaGetBig

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You ever hear a family member mention hemochromatosis? Or die in 50s or 60s from heart or liver failure?

never mentioned hemochromatosis, but a few have passed due to liver failure. It was the alcohol that got 'em..lol.

I have googled the causes for high Iron and am not predisposed to any.

Thanks for the replies, lke I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm going to give 2 units the next time I can and I'll have them check Iron levels before and after. In addition, between now and then, I'm going to stop in there and just ask them to check it to see if the 1 unit I recently gave made any difference.

On a positive note, Cholesterol is back to within normal values!!

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It is to be expected that your red blood cells (hemoglobin) increases while on aas. Aas increase the production of epotin, which is a precursor to red blood cells produced by the kidneys (it also stimulates bone marrow). (High hemoglobin = high iron levels because 70% of iron in the body is bound to hemoglobin. More hemoglobin = more iron.

19 for Hemoglobin is a bit high (13.5 -16.5 is the normal range for hemoglobin). (12-300 ng/ml for iron.)

You have to get rid of some of those blood cells if you can. Donate blood every 56 days brother... you will feel a lot better... I know some guys that actually drain their own blood - DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF OR ALONE IF YOU DO IT YOURSELF because you could faint in the process and bleed out.. I will not post the step by step instructions on how to do it because I am not in favor of it.

So- to answer your question YES high hemoglobin/Iron is pretty common among aas users. The BEST remedy is to get rid of some of your blood. It's a win win so find someplace and donate brother. Do it every 56 days. You will be able to keep in in check if you do. Her drawing blood every 2 weeks will solve it but then it will drop like a rock to anemic levels. Donate a couple times in the next month and it should take care of it- if not keep seeing the doc and get squared away.

Donate brothers!
Vette

grizzldsealpoacher

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ah Bro I am also dealing with this issue I ran a cycle of Test C 500mg w/k over the summer and I was getting bloods done to see if I was ready to run a second cycle when my doc noticed my Iron sat. was 78% . So he sent me to a GI doc who tested me for hemocromatosis it is a genetic blood disease where you hold to much Iron so The results came back negative for the defect, however I do have the defect on one side of the family so I could be prone to high Iron. So the GI doc wants to take a liver biopsy to see what's doing, I am having him run another blood panel to see if anything has changed, I have since given blood and maybe there was a issue with the first test. If my iron is still high I am going to a hemotoligist at Duke he is second in the states in matters of hemocromatosis so I figure its worth the trip. I am fine though , it was a good catch if there is a problem b/c high iron only will effect your organs over time and due damage. My liver enzymes are good so no damage done so far. The only treatment I have heard of for this issue is phlebotomy to get the iron down then a maintenance schedule appt to keep it in check :) no big deal for me I like needles ha ! I will keep the board posted, my second blood panel is getting done monday so I will know more soon. I will get my records soon also if I need to go to duke so I will post them too

New Threads