Thanks

Energy Shots No Crash Claim Is Disputed by Watchdog

I'm a huge antagonist of energy drinks. Others like them, but I see nothing but long term problems.....

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/energy...015405964.html

Correction Appended

The distributor of the top-selling energy shot, 5-Hour Energy, has long claimed on product labels, in promotions and in television advertisements that the concentrated caffeine drink produced no crash later the type of letdown that consumers of energy drinks often feel when the beverages effects wear off.

But an advertising watchdog group said on Wednesday that it had told the company five years ago that the claim was unfounded and had urged it then to stop making it.

An executive of the group, the National Advertising Division, also said that 5-Hour Energys distributor, Living Essentials, had publicly misrepresented the organizations position about the claim and that it planned to start a review that could lead to action against the company by the Federal Trade Commission.

We recommended that the no crash claim be discontinued because their own evidence showed there was a crash from the product, said Andrea C. Levine, director the National Advertising Division. The organization, which is affiliated with the Council of Better Business Bureaus, reviews ad claims for accuracy.

The emerging dispute between Living Essentials and the National Advertising Division is unusual because the $10 billion energy drink industry is rife with questionable marketing. And Living Essentials, which recently cited the advertising groups support in seeking to defend the no crash claim, may have opened the door to greater scrutiny.

Major producers like 5-Hour Energy, Red Bull, Monster Energy and Rockstar Energy all say their products contain proprietary blends of ingredients that provide a range of mental and physical benefits. But the companies have conducted few studies to show that the costly products provide anything more than a blast of caffeine, a stimulant found in beverages like coffee, tea or cola-flavored sodas.

The dispute over 5-Hour Energys claim also comes as regulatory review of the high-caffeine drinks is increasing. The Food and Drug Administration recently disclosed that it had received reports over the last four years citing the possible role of 5-Hour Energy in 13 deaths. The mention of a product in an F.D.A. report does not mean it caused a death or injury. Living Essentials says it knows of no problems related to its products.

The issue surrounding the companys no crash claim dates to 2007, when National Advertising Division began reviewing all of 5-Hour Energys marketing claims. That same year, the company conducted a clinical trial of the energy shot that compared it to Red Bull and Monster Energy.

At the time, Living Essentials was already using the No crash later claim. An article on Wednesday in The New York Times reported that the study had shown that 24 percent of those who used 5-Hour Energy suffered a moderately severe crash hours after consuming it. The study reported higher crash rates for Red Bull and Monster Energy.

When asked how those findings squared with the companys no crash claim, Elaine Lutz, a spokeswoman for Living Essentials, said the company had amended the claim after the 2007 review by the National Advertising Division. In doing so, it added an asterisklike mark after the claim on product labels and in promotions. The mark referred to additional labeling language stating that no crash means no sugar crash. Unlike Red Bull and Monster Energy, 5-Hour Energy does not contain sugar.

Ms. Lutz said that based on the modification, the advertising accuracy group found all of our claims to be substantiated.

However, Ms. Levine, the advertising groups director, took sharp exception to that assertion, saying it mischaracterized the groups decision. And a review of the reports suggested that Living Essentials had simply added language of its choosing to its label rather than doing what the group had recommended drop the no crash claim altogether.

That review concluded that the companys 2007 study had shown there was evidence to support a qualified claim that 5-Hour Energy results in less of a crash than Red Bull and Monster Energy. But it added the study, which showed that 5-Hour Energy users experienced caffeine-related crashes, was inadequate to support a no crash claim.

Ms. Levine said Living Essentials had apparently decided to use the parts of the groups report that it liked and ignore others.

Companies are not permitted to mischaracterize our decisions or misuse them for commercial purposes, she said.

She said the group planned to notify Living Essentials that it was reopening its review of the no crash later claim. If the company fails to respond or provides an inadequate response, the National Advertising Division will probably refer the matter to the F.T.C., she said.

A Democratic lawmaker, Representative Edward Markey of Massachusetts, has asked that the agency review energy drink marketing claims.

Asked about the position of the National Advertising Division, Ms. Lutz, the 5-Hour Energy spokeswoman, stated in an e-mail that the no sugar crash language had been added to address the groups concern.

Correction: January 2, 2013, Wednesday

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction: An earlier version of this article misstated the number of deaths in which the Food and Drug Administration said 5-Hour Energy possibly played a role. The number was 13, not 15.

Thanks

Re: Energy Shots No Crash Claim Is Disputed by Watchdog

I've never had the 5 hour energy but I use to love Momster drinks. Never noticed any kind of crash

Thanks

I the only energy drink I take is a black bustelo coffee with two equals, I only tried red bull and didn't get that energy people say.
    Eating ass is anabolic. .. Stick your tongue in and hold it there for 20 seconds! Wise words from
    TRODIZZLE

Thanks
    Thanked 3,631 Times in 1,633 Posts

Am I the only person that drinks coffee and tea anymore?!
    In need of dieting help? Email me at HeliosNutrition@gmail.com

Asking pillar how much orals to take is like asking Charlie Sheen how many hookers you should ****. - Jin

#mUGga

Thanks

Originally Posted by Spongy View Post
    When I decided to give up diet sodas and chrystal light, I started drinking like a gallon of unsweetened green tea daily...Sometimes a couple cups of black coffee in the am too.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,631 Times in 1,633 Posts

I make a gallon of green tea every day! Love that stuff. Little bit of stevia here, squeeze of lemon there!
    In need of dieting help? Email me at HeliosNutrition@gmail.com

Asking pillar how much orals to take is like asking Charlie Sheen how many hookers you should ****. - Jin

#mUGga

Thanks

I make a gallon of green tea every day! Love that stuff. Little bit of stevia here, squeeze of lemon there!
    Yep, coffee and stevia for me thank you very much.

I bought a kilo of pure stevia, shit's expensive. Something like fifty bucks! but with stevia, a little goes a long way, that's for sure!

Thanks
    Thanked 18,097 Times in 7,789 Posts

I like my coffee like I like my women. Black and on ice. 5 hour energy is a scam.
    "Overzealous dosing" -Jin

Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

Thanks

Re: Energy Shot’s ‘No Crash’ Claim Is Disputed by Watchdog

Originally Posted by PillarofBalance View Post
    I like my coffee like I like my women. Black and on ice. 5 hour energy is a scam.
    You like African american meth head chicks? Is that what your sayin?

Thanks
    Thanked 18,097 Times in 7,789 Posts

Originally Posted by g0retekz View Post
    You like African american meth head chicks? Is that what your sayin?
    Yes.

Yes I do.

Don't judge me.
    "Overzealous dosing" -Jin

Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

Thanks

Originally Posted by PillarofBalance View Post
    Yes.

Yes I do.

Don't judge me.
    Hey man, whatever floats your boat is cool with me

Thanks

It's called five hour because that's caffeines half life
    All posts are for entertainment purposes only

Thanks
    Thanked 3,801 Times in 1,591 Posts

I never quite understood these drinks...heck of a lot cheaper to pop a caffeine pill.