MMA Fighters Past / Present .... Some Beginner's Advice

Popeye

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've been very interested in starting MMA for a few years now. I'm not getting any younger and I'm ready to give it a shot. I've never been in any kind of organized fighting or wrestling.

Any good advice from pro/amateur fighters or even fans on where to begin? Should I just go to the closest dojo or boxing joint?...There's not much shit around me that I know of.

I know it's not rocket science on where to start and I could just surf the web and hit a couple places nearby, but I know a couple guys here are or have been fighters, and I respect all of you guys and your opinions.

Any pointers would help.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
MMA is the flavor of the month right now. It has its limits in self defense. You should be very picky in this decision. Find the place that has the best instructor not just a bunch of fighters.

As far as diciplines go remember alot of what you see in MMA is ground fighting wrestling, BJJ ect. Im a former pro compeditor in submission grappling and d1 wrestler. Want to know how many times Ive used it in a fight? Zero. There is no way Im going to take someone down on the concrete and armbar someone even a choke hold youd have to be careful your knees will not hold up to that on concrete for very long. Reality is you could hurt yourself worse than you hurt your foe.

Boxing, Muai Thai is what Ive learned to be effecitve on the street. Krav Maga is bad ass, but I dont have access to it here from anyone I trust. Find the best teacher in the dicipline you like the best and go with them they will teach you to fight.

Good luck.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If your looking to actually compete in MMA dont go to a place that puts too much focus on grappling. Striking in MMA is by far the weakest part of the game right now IMO. Guys dont practice it enough or do it right in the first place. Be careful when you let your trainer put you in. Ive seen alot of guys go in to MMA and fight only to be a punching bag for some promoter they get hurt because they are not ready.

G

Georgia

A good friend of mine started just recently (he is 26). He had no previous experience. Just walked into a gym and signed up.

He has went on to go 6-1 or 5-1. The most recent fight was a loss. Reason why?....no one can beat him in grappling...but his striking is weak. And he got tore up by a pure striker.

He says he loves it and wishes he would have started earlier. You will get kicked and punched and bruised and sore just from the gym. But you will form great relationships with MMA folks AND possibly have a brilliant career. You won't know though unless you commit.

I say find a local gym and just AT LEAST go by and watch them train and talk to the head guy. Don't commit the first day but check it out especially if there are multiple gyms.

R1rider

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree with BigGameHunter. Find the instructor and atmosphere that works best for you....

I have been to a few gyms where its all show, the instructors dont do a good job controlling the situation and it leads to uncontrolled fights and people getting hurt.

Find a instructor and atmosphere where you are comfortable learning and training.

I will second the boxing and Muai thai. Striking is what you will you mostly in everyday life. I have worked as a bouncer through college and used these skills on rowdy and uncooperative patrons. Kicking is very underestimated. If you have strong legs, use them as they can do a lot of damage. Learn and know some wrestling, bjj, submission, grapling also so you know it for when you need it. I am a big fan of Sambo.

and work on that cardio..... cardio, cardio, cardio. especially cardio bursts. flipping tire, sledge hammer work, ropes etc

I use to be able to go 3 rounds 5 mins each, but that was when i was 210ish. Now at 258 i will be luck to get a round and a half

so dont get to heavy or have too much muscle and keep up the cardio and flexibility.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
a lot of them by me are $$$, like $125+ a month. i already pay 72 bux for my baller gym.

for me its one of the things id do if i had more money/time.

GL

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
yup time, and money, and hrt costs, and kids, and it goes on and on, but yeah crav maga, , jeet kune do, a bunch to choose from, myself if given a chance, id start with boxing, to especially help in ur cardio and stamina, grab a jump rope, jump the shit outa it! then id move on to grappling, and a specialized form, if u have a chance to go that route?

just my .02 and desires, but hey life is always in the way!!

DJ21

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You can try since 'you're interested' but I got a lot of buddies that do it because they love it. Those dudes are animals. They all started in MACP.

If you're willing to get into a cage or ring with that, then you never know it might just be something you really want to do.

Popeye

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If your looking to actually compete in MMA dont go to a place that puts too much focus on grappling. Striking in MMA is by far the weakest part of the game right now IMO. Guys dont practice it enough or do it right in the first place. Be careful when you let your trainer put you in. Ive seen alot of guys go in to MMA and fight only to be a punching bag for some promoter they get hurt because they are not ready.
Thanks BGH...great advice...I am def a striker and would need some help in the grappling and submission area.

Popeye

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
A good friend of mine started just recently (he is 26). He had no previous experience. Just walked into a gym and signed up.

He has went on to go 6-1 or 5-1. The most recent fight was a loss. Reason why?....no one can beat him in grappling...but his striking is weak. And he got tore up by a pure striker.

He says he loves it and wishes he would have started earlier. You will get kicked and punched and bruised and sore just from the gym. But you will form great relationships with MMA folks AND possibly have a brilliant career. You won't know though unless you commit.

I say find a local gym and just AT LEAST go by and watch them train and talk to the head guy. Don't commit the first day but check it out especially if there are multiple gyms.

Good stuff Georgia...I don't plan to commit at the first gym I step in. I would love for it to turn into a career but I would be getting way far ahead of myself. I would like to see where it could take me.

Thanks.

Popeye

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree with BigGameHunter. Find the instructor and atmosphere that works best for you....

I have been to a few gyms where its all show, the instructors dont do a good job controlling the situation and it leads to uncontrolled fights and people getting hurt.

Find a instructor and atmosphere where you are comfortable learning and training.

I will second the boxing and Muai thai. Striking is what you will you mostly in everyday life. I have worked as a bouncer through college and used these skills on rowdy and uncooperative patrons. Kicking is very underestimated. If you have strong legs, use them as they can do a lot of damage. Learn and know some wrestling, bjj, submission, grapling also so you know it for when you need it. I am a big fan of Sambo.

and work on that cardio..... cardio, cardio, cardio. especially cardio bursts. flipping tire, sledge hammer work, ropes etc

I use to be able to go 3 rounds 5 mins each, but that was when i was 210ish. Now at 258 i will be luck to get a round and a half

so dont get to heavy or have too much muscle and keep up the cardio and flexibility.

Thanks R1...I'm hoping the gyms around me willl have that atmosphere you described...I will def have to work on cardio.....Shit wears me out in an instant. That would be my first hurdle I would def need to get over.

Popeye

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
a lot of them by me are $$$, like $125+ a month. i already pay 72 bux for my baller gym.

for me its one of the things id do if i had more money/time.

GL

Ya..the ones around me are a bit expensive too. I have the extra funds at the moment..thanks.

Popeye

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
yup time, and money, and hrt costs, and kids, and it goes on and on, but yeah crav maga, , jeet kune do, a bunch to choose from, myself if given a chance, id start with boxing, to especially help in ur cardio and stamina, grab a jump rope, jump the shit outa it! then id move on to grappling, and a specialized form, if u have a chance to go that route?

just my .02 and desires, but hey life is always in the way!!

Thanks J20...I def am thinking about beginning with the boxing aspect...I'm a heavy hitter, but lacking the cardio and stamina that will be a necessity for grappling etc...

Popeye

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You can try since 'you're interested' but I got a lot of buddies that do it because they love it. Those dudes are animals. They all started in MACP.

If you're willing to get into a cage or ring with that, then you never know it might just be something you really want to do.

lol...This made me laugh...

Although my post said that I'm simply "interested" has no merit on whether or not I would still blow your "animal buddies" teeth thru the back of their head.....

Thank you for your concern though.

DJ21

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
lol...This made me laugh...

Although my post said that I'm simply "interested" has no merit on whether or not I would still blow your "animal buddies" teeth thru the back of their head.....

Thank you for your concern though.

haha, you totally misunderstood what I said guy.

Yeah no problem, good luck Popeye.

Reaction score
I know I am just the newbie on the forums but I participate in martial arts, haven't been doing it for long but its the best thing I've ever done (club\hobby wise) if you really want to get a feel for what "style" you want to go for a lot of gyms\dojos will let you come to 1 or 2 classes to get a feel for it before you commit, its pretty cheap where I live at, but I live in BFE, if you looking for something that is useful in real life I personally would recommend Jeet Kune Do, the reason I love it is because it lets you work around your own strengths and weakness' becoming your own fighter not just a play by the numbers fighter, but to each his own good luck bro I hope you get into a place where you feel at home, like your part of a family because it will make the experience so much better.

SAD

Reaction score
MACP, for those that don't know, stands for Modern Army Combatives Program.

It's trash. I went to basic training and absolutely murdered my drill sergeant who was level 4 macp certified, which is the highest. I only had a blue belt at the time from Gracie Barra.

DJ, your buddies might indeed be animals, but I would NEVER bring up MACP in the MMA world, lol.

djt248

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of what Big Game said but...... For someone wanting to learn a certain discipline whether it be wrestling (former d1 as well) BJJ, Judo, Mai Tai (love it) or boxing it will be what you revert to if involved in a street brawl. 80% of all street fights end up on the ground. So with that in mind pick something that incorporates them both. BJJ some Krav, both incorporate standing and ground. Although I like krav it is a discipline used for attacking then getting away. I don't want to get a way, I want to finish the fight if need be. Just my .2.

New Threads