Ex-detective gets 4 years for steroids ring

Popeye

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Philadlephia
John P. Martin, INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
POSTED: Monday, January 7, 2013, 1:23 PM

Keith Gidelson said he was a good detective and could have been a great one.

But an on-the-job car crash in 2006 effectively ended his Philadelphia police career and led him to a dark side. Desperate to make money, Gidelson began selling steroids.

He was sorry, Gidelson told a judge Monday. Sorry for his devastated family, for the agents and prosecutor who investigated him, even for the judge left to sentence him for what his lawyer called an "aberration" on a blemish-free record.

U.S. District Judge Paul S. Diamond didn't see it that way. He saw a cop-turned-drug dealer who disgraced himself and his profession, and then was full of excuses.

In an unusual step, Diamond went far beyond the sentence recommended by prosecutors and federal guidelines and ordered Gidelson, 36, to prison for four years, starting right away.

The judge cited secretly recorded conversations in which Gidelson, he said, sounded like "a drug dealer who thought the world of himself."

"He preened, he boasted, he bloviated," Diamond said, later adding, "That he had served as a police officer makes his fall into criminality all the more serious."

Gidelson was arrested in April 2011, after agents from the Drug Enforcement Administration and U.S. Postal Inspection Service intercepted steroids shipped to him from overseas.

Prosecutors said he catered to a growing roster of steroids users he met at fitness clubs in the city. He used coded messages to conduct business and kept a loaded pistol under his bed at his Northeast Philadelphia home.

Authorities weren't sure how long the ring ran - one informant suggested Gidelson had started in 2009, after going out on medical leave but while still an officer. But they estimated that it had become Gidelson's sole source of income, and that he sold more than 10,000 injections and pills before getting caught.

"Keith Gidelson was a calculating, organized drug dealer," Assistant U.S. Attorney David Axelrod told the judge. His operation "was only going to get bigger."

Diamond notified the lawyers last week that he was considering going beyond the 30- to 37-month term recommended in Gidelson's plea agreement on drug and conspiracy charges.

Still, the sentence surprised Gidelson's lawyer, Nino Tinari, who said after the hearing he would consider an appeal.

Tinari said Gidelson was "more sick than sinister." He had asked the judge for a lower term than the guidelines suggested, arguing that Gidelson accepted responsibility, quickly cooperated, and had already been vilified in the media. Tinari also presented a psychologist who testified that Gidelson suffered from job-related posttraumatic stress disorder, explaining his behavior.

"Highly dubious" was the judge's response. Diamond said he saw no proof that Gidelson's medical condition led him to sell drugs. "You committed the crimes," Diamond said.

He also ordered Gidelson to pay a $25,000 fine and serve three years of supervised release after prison.

Fourteen others, including Gidelson's wife, Kirsten, pleaded guilty in the case. Later Monday, the judge sentenced Kirsten Gidelson to three years' probation, with one year served in home confinement. That punishment was less stringent than the 6- to 12-month prison term recommended by federal guidelines.

Diamond noted that Kirsten Gidelson was only a "minor" participant in her husband's crimes, and that she has a 16-year-old daughter to care for. If not for her husband, the judge said, Kirsten Gidelson probably wouldn't have been standing before him.

Popeye

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
20110428_dn_g2npxroid28c.JPG

biggerben692000

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
He wasn't charged with the gun that was mentioned. He'll end up in a FPC(camp). He'll most likely be able to take DAP. He'll do about 2yrs.

Hardpr

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
thats when K and sciroxx disapeared from the scene. right after this bust. i beleive he was caught with all sciroxx products.

Four1Thr33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sucks for him. But one part made
Me mad.... The informant. Fucking snitches !!

Tilltheend

Banned
Reaction score
thats when K and sciroxx disapeared from the scene. right after this bust. i beleive he was caught with all sciroxx products.

There would be no way some city fucking cops would pop Sciroxx lol!

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's pretty amazing how brainwashed society is about anabolic steroids. This judge was playing hard ass and lumping hormone injections together like it was some sort of crack/ heroin ring.

Who is the victim of this crime?

What are the damages?

If a woman has birth control pills from an over seas source will she go to prison? I mean hormones for him vs. hormones for her right?

A woman can have annabortion because it is HER BODY. Can I have some AAS since it is MY BODY?

I am disgusted by the breadth and depth that big Pharma has gone through to pocket law makers in an obvious attempt to monopolize the steroid market due to the increase demand of an aging populace.

Fuck the world and pass the tren.
Vette

Four1Thr33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lol please pass!! And 63 clear that PM box

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's pretty amazing how brainwashed society is about anabolic steroids. This judge was playing hard ass and lumping hormone injections together like it was some sort of crack/ heroin ring.

Who is the victim of this crime?

What are the damages?

If a woman has birth control pills from an over seas source will she go to prison? I mean hormones for him vs. hormones for her right?

A woman can have annabortion because it is HER BODY. Can I have some AAS since it is MY BODY?

I am disgusted by the breadth and depth that big Pharma has gone through to pocket law makers in an obvious attempt to monopolize the steroid market due to the increase demand of an aging populace.

Fuck the world and pass the tren.
Vette

Once again 63 nails it shut.

biggerben692000

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Just heard from Karl the other day? Seems happy and good?

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You are a retard, you have no business commenting on a lab u know nothing about...Now go and turn back on the cartoon network....

There would be no way some city fucking cops would pop Sciroxx lol!

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Gun under the bed....whooooo, what a bad criminal. For fucks sake I hate the media!!!! Let's see, selling steroids to adults = healthier, stronger people. Selling every other drug = delinquents, addicts, etc.

Tilltheend

Banned
Reaction score
You are a retard, you have no business commenting on a lab u know nothing about...Now go and turn back on the cartoon network....

I know enough to know they operate at an international level. And if INTERPOL has not busted them the city police won't either. Take your offensive comments somewhere else. Thats not proper behavior for SI.

staxs

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Its like if would have gotten caught selling marijuana and pills i bet he would have gotten half the sentence time.

New Threads