Back to school

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
While everyone was Arnold Drunk on Education of a Bodybuilder PFM was living by the words of Franco Columbu in Basic Bodybuilding. Dr. Columbu's heavier/fewer sets/reps approach appealed to the strength and power side of PFM.

I am here to address and hopefully engage some guys on this topic that began in my study of administering HGH. The timing of HGH is said to be critical, I don't deny or argue the theories. I just don't have have enough trail and error experience to nail down the benefits of HGH injections SQ vs IM, pre-workout vs post but one thing I'll agree on is empty stomach.

Franco stressed the importance of eating 2 hours pre-training and waiting for one full hour post workout. His reasoning was to have blood available for the working muscles, not in the stomach during training, also to wait one hour post weight session to keep the blood in the muscles to "feed" them.

Now back to HGH timing, was Franco onto something he most likely didn't connect (Dorian himself stated guys were not GHing yet in Pro BB). Train on a empty stomach for max release and utilization of HGH (just like the peak we have during sleep AKA empty stomach) and keeping the stomach empty for another hour post workout more for HGH release and utilization: hence this "feeding".

Anyone?

Iknow many of you guys get sick of hearing about my natty gains, but I tell you I made some juice like gains following this Old School plan by Dr. Columbu

Curiosity

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I definitely like the fewer sets and heavier approach more than the "mind muscle connection" light weight high rep pump approach for bodybuilding. Works better for me and I feel more like a man doing it too.

As far as not eating anything for an hour post workout, it's an interesting theory. Most of what I see these days is based on the "nutrient timing" principals (There's a book by that title and I"ve seen a lot of people giving similar advice since it was published). These authors suggest, based on many studies, that an athlete should drink a shake of simple carbs (i.e. dextrose or other high GI sugar) and whey protein immediately post workout. The theory is that the sugar will trigger your body to dump insulin into the blood stream, which will cause the muscle cells to absorb more blood and nutrients.

It's interesting to see two theories with opposite advices trying to achieve the same goal, namely getting as much blood as possible into muscle cells after a workout.

This is one of the things I love about bodybuilding and strength training, its such a complex system that you can rationalize almost anything, even things that really don't work at all in practice.

Have you heard of this theory PFM? What are your thoughts on the differences between the two theories?

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This is a very interesting concept.....I believe I will try and find more on it.

grind4it

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it but IMO it all comes down to the individual. I've tried following Columbo, Mentzer and Yates. I've done intermited fasting, lean gains, 3 meals a day, 8 meals a day. I've broke my GH in two shots, three shots, all at once, before and after workout. All of the things listed I tried looking for "the secret". I beleve that all these things do work for some people.

For me personally the hardest part of this journey has been learning my body and finding what actually gives me measurable results. Fortunantly I have finally started finding what works for me and if I would have been left to my own devises I would still be feeling around in the dark.

I apologize for drifting off topic but I just wanted to contribute.

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I definitely like the fewer sets and heavier approach more than the "mind muscle connection" light weight high rep pump approach for bodybuilding. Works better for me and I feel more like a man doing it too.

As far as not eating anything for an hour post workout, it's an interesting theory. Most of what I see these days is based on the "nutrient timing" principals (There's a book by that title and I"ve seen a lot of people giving similar advice since it was published). These authors suggest, based on many studies, that an athlete should drink a shake of simple carbs (i.e. dextrose or other high GI sugar) and whey protein immediately post workout. The theory is that the sugar will trigger your body to dump insulin into the blood stream, which will cause the muscle cells to absorb more blood and nutrients.

It's interesting to see two theories with opposite advices trying to achieve the same goal, namely getting as much blood as possible into muscle cells after a workout.

This is one of the things I love about bodybuilding and strength training, its such a complex system that you can rationalize almost anything, even things that really don't work at all in practice.

Have you heard of this theory PFM? What are your thoughts on the differences between the two theories?

I have done them both and can attest with no hesitation they both work. I am back to the Franco practice now and looking lean and popping out.

Another theory that you sparked here Cur is this: perhaps it's simply changing things up, shocking the body that creates "what works".

One thing for sure at my age I produce little to no GH. I am taking my injection right before I train and train right before bed to mimic natty release.

New Threads