What has worked for YOU?

FreeBirdSam

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
We all make mistakes, some of you (myself included) probably wish we could go back to the beginning with what we know now.

when did you have that "Ahh haa" moment?

What was it for you that finally put the puzzle pieces together and started showing results?

for me it was simple:

"Being consistent with Diet, Training, and sleep"

losieloos

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Same with you, I ate anything when I first started I was 16 at the time.it only lasted a year them I started to get on a good diet, also wanted big arms and figured out what squating can do for you.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As I got a bit older, the importance of sleep and recovery time became more apparent to me.

*nods off*

SAD

Reaction score
Not the traditional answer, I know, but falling in love with my wife was my lightbulb moment. She gave me the strength, motivation, and desire to be a better man, which I badly needed when I met her. I would be dead or in jail, and I truly mean that, if I hadn't met my wife.

It doesn't hurt that she can cook, works full time bringing home good money, cleans without expecting much from me, and wakes me up with blowjobs on a regular basis.

g0re

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not the traditional answer, I know, but falling in love with my wife was my lightbulb moment. She gave me the strength, motivation, and desire to be a better man, which I badly needed when I met her. I would be dead or in jail, and I truly mean that, if I hadn't met my wife.

It doesn't hurt that she can cook, works full time bringing home good money, cleans without expecting much from me, and wakes me up with blowjobs on a regular basis.

I'm in the exact same boat as you man, amazing how much a good girl can change you.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What has worked for me is leaving my ego at the door before entering the gym.

FreeBirdSam

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What has worked for me is leaving my ego at the door before entering the gym.

please elaborate as I'm curious .. what's your bodytype/goals? I've never been able to leave my ego at the door but Its made me one strong mofo

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I seen a guy trying to dead lift 8plates of 45 and he couldn't even do 1! Worst part was when he was trying to pull it up and bouncing the weight! I never risk form over weight just to show hey I can lift that shit.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've had a few of these moments in my lifetime that have resulted in major alterations in the course of my life; however, I'll limit it to my training...

I struggled trying to put on size. I was eating a lot, I was training the way all the other guys in the gym did. Chest on Monday, back on Tuesday etc...

But nothing was happening. I weighed 220 but looked almost untrained in some aspects. I was losing confidence fast. Until a couple guys at another board turned me on to Sheiko. I ran it 4 weeks long and put 90lbs on my squat in that time and a re-comp of my body.

I was hooked. I wanted power. And started pouring everything I had into it. But what really changed things. That ah-ha moment though was when SAD sent me a PM suggesting we do our first meet together. I wonder if it was someone else if I would have gone thru with it. We all know what a ball buster SAD is. So here he was. The guy that once had called me small and weak wanted to bust that cherry with me. And there was no chance he'd let me back out.

So we did it. And it was one of the coolest things I've ever done. The level of confidence that comes from that can hardly be measured.

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've had a few of these moments in my lifetime that have resulted in major alterations in the course of my life; however, I'll limit it to my training...

I struggled trying to put on size. I was eating a lot, I was training the way all the other guys in the gym did. Chest on Monday, back on Tuesday etc...

But nothing was happening. I weighed 220 but looked almost untrained in some aspects. I was losing confidence fast. Until a couple guys at another board turned me on to Sheiko. I ran it 4 weeks long and put 90lbs on my squat in that time and a re-comp of my body.

I was hooked. I wanted power. And started pouring everything I had into it. But what really changed things. That ah-ha moment though was when SAD sent me a PM suggesting we do our first meet together. I wonder if it was someone else if I would have gone thru with it. We all know what a ball buster SAD is. So here he was. The guy that once had called me small and weak wanted to bust that cherry with me. And there was no chance he'd let me back out.

So we did it. And it was one of the coolest things I've ever done. The level of confidence that comes from that can hardly be measured.

that just brought a tear to my eye.

Popeye

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

I am glad to hear SAD popped your cherry.

My situation, lost loved ones at a young age because of drinking/drugs, wanted to be there for my family in my old age, and not put them thru the same thing. That was my ah-ha moment.

I've never felt better in my life then I do at this point.

DJ21

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah just consistency for me as well. I'm still young and learning but another thing would be keeping a right frame of mind, a positive outlook goes a long way.

#TheMatrix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The moment that changed everything was when I stopped looking at the scale or the mirror and just enjoyed working out. Results came. And so did the wife.

Funny story we met in high school. Sort of spoke. She didnt like me cause of the crowd and things I was doing.
Ten yrs later we met again. But it was different. We had grown up so much but my last was still haunting me.
She stuck around when any other person would have left me to get sent to the big leagues (jail time with the big boys) court days every month and when the last court day happened she didnt get a call from me like usual. She thought the verdict was against my freedom and cried herself for two hrs waiting for my call. Finally I called her and she asked...what happened? Still crying. Thats when I said. Fuck me in the ass.....I have the mrs sparticus right here who gives a damn about me. So long story short

We both love this lifestyle. She doesnt know I use .....but has an idea of things.

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I got my game solid in my teens. Eat, train, sleep and repeat.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Good stuff guys. Im always having these moments. Lots of good advice on here. I listen alot and as Jada says leave ego at the door, be open to new things and not too arrogant to learn. I also like what Sparticus said forget about that scale and focus on your work out. Let your body accept the changes in its own time with your motivation and hard work. It will come. Ive driven myself crazy in the past worrying about what that scale said.

As an athlete many in my sport felt lifting weights was a waste of time and counter productive. I didnt listen and was laughed for it even threatened by a coach in college to stop. I didnt care I knew better, 20 yrs later they are on a weight program with a new coach. I enjoyed it and grew up watching the men in my faimly lift. Do your thing and it will be yours.

G

Georgia

Never been into bodybuilding or working out HARD and CONSISTENTLY until last year. Growing up I hated sweating and lifting made me tired and going to the gym I'd just nit pick around and not even do what I had come to do. Not as many exercises or reps. Needless to say I was weak as fuark.

Idk what happened recently but I have just fallen in love with the gym. I am in no hurry to leave. I love to sweat. I love to push myself. It's like a 360 degree change on my attitude towards the gym.

Now I see skinny guys on the street that used to look like me and I'm like "Do you even lift fgt? Fight me irl"

Cashout

Reaction score
At the age of 15, I made the single decision to "never again allow myself to accept being average."

In that statement is the implication that sometimes, I will be "average" but I will never "accept" or be satisfied with being average. That is what has driven every choice I've made for the past 27 years.

I came to this this decision after reading the works of three authors: Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Ralph Waldo Emerson - Self-Reliance, and Sun Tzu - The Art of War.

Together, these three authors framed for me, a vision of what I sought to become as a person, a mission by which I could plan and achieve my vision, and a means to measure my progress.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
When I realized weider's magazines were supplement ads, and not secret bobybuilding manuals.

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have had a rocky journey full of ups and downs through my life. So I have many different aspects of a-ha moments, like my wife, first time I held my son....... but to keep to the topic of training. Well I started that journey out with stupid intentions. 14 yrs old throwing weight around in our high school weight room to get "BIG" Chest and arms boyssss, every frickin day. And this mentality carried on with me into college. My a-ha moment came when my mother started to study to become a nurse. And she had manual and books on human body. And I began getting interested in how the body works, develops, overcomes stress, repairs itself...........Then I was was like damn I need to focus on how I can put my body through the adaptive stress process, and training became a whole different ball game. Not some fin Muscle mag workout routine......but serious concentration on building my body.

New Threads