Anyone do sprinting?

Onlythebestwilldo

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any experience with using sprinting to add size?

G

Georgia

Jenner is one to ask. It's proven to put on lean body mass

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've done sprinting but not on a track as I don't have one near me to use but have done them on the treadmill for fat loss and so that I don't have to train legs that hard. As for using them strictly for size, I would think you would have to be pretty dedicated to doing them. :)

Illtemper

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I dont think you're gonna put on size from sprinting. Fat burning yes, but straight mass, no..... Now sprinting with a 200lbs sled behind you, thats a different story!

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you look at professional sprinters, their legs are huge..maybe they weight train a bit but I doubt the size is from weight training:)

Attachments

• sprinter.jpg
    sprinter.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 13

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You mean like run? F*&&^ no!

Reaction score
I don't know about sprinting for putting on mass, but when I know I'm going to ratchet weight down and reps up, I've found them really helpful to prepare for more-sustained high intensity effort. E.g., if I've worked down to triples with 2min rest intervals and know I'm going back up to 8-rep sets with 1min rest intervals, I throw in a half-dozen 1/4-mile sprints with 90s rest for a couple weeks after workouts before the change. I find it helps avoid taking a conditioning hit when the changeover happens.

They feel like absolute death, though.

Hollywood72

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you look at professional sprinters, their legs are huge..maybe they weight train a bit but I doubt the size is from weight training:)

If you run as much as those guys I promise your legs will grow. They also use rubber bands for the blocks and sleds for the sprint.

If you want to gain size from sprinting you have to be extremely explosive and dedicated.

Reaction score
As most here said, I've never heard of sprinting for mass. I try to include sprints in my cardio workouts...I even do sprints on the elliptical...and lately I've been doing short burst (30-60 seconds) of running (6-7 mph) at an incline on the treadmill.
From what I've read, interval sprints are the best cardio for fat loss.

TheLupinator

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sprinting could add mass with enough calories and high enough intensity. It would be nowhere near optimal but sprinting as fast as humanly possible forces your muscles to perform at their maximum power

Sprinting is all about acceleration

Force = Mass x Acceleration
Work = Force x Distance
Power = Work / Time

So in a roundabout way the acceleration from sprinting can act as a form of "power" lifting.. That's why sprinters have so much more muscle than any other conditioning type athletes.. again not optimal tho

RedLang

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Iv been trying to add in short hill sprints and suicide shuttles. My quads and hans are pumled after a short session

New Threads