Diet on travel...

AndroSport

Traptheend
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
OK, I imagine some of you here have had to travel for competition or other reasons and I figure those who are strict on their diet (like Cash) may have some insight here.

I am traveling for work here soon and the policy on meals/food has changed from what it used to be since we were purchased by another company. I use to be able to expense anything food related that occurred on travel and also order food to my room as much as I wanted.

Now they cover 3 meals/day and a "snack". I eat 6+ meals/day so this is gong to get expensive. I imagine next time I may be able to designate some specific dietary requirements and see if they will go for it but for this time they are providing 3 meals per day so I probably wont even be able to pick my food (not sure).

So the question is: Any of you have experience with traveling with your food? Say in ice chests & ziplock bags? Not sure if that is allowed. I know liquids need to be 2oz for carry on. Do you check or carry on?

Any insight is appreciated brothers...

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
frozen foods shouldnt be a problem, check with airline. I always brought some whey protein with my in a sealed container

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Is there a per diem amount? My employer doesn't have a set cost per meal. At least they didn't use to. So each mealtime I would order 2 meals as stash one for later

Cashout

Reaction score
Things about travel that dictate food management: How long and how you travel.

For short term trips with an airplane ride - overnight or a 2 night stays - I do a lot of these because I am often an invited speaker or attend a Board of Directors meeting. For these, I take all my food with me and keep it in the hotel fridge. Dry oats and protein powder travel easily in plastics containers. I will take my cooked chicken and rice with me in a small nylon freezer travel cooler. You can get these at Wal-Mart for about $12. They come with gel inserts that you can freeze and insert into the lining of the cooler. I can easily get 8 meals of chicken and rice stored in one cooler. I wrap them in a plastic bag just in case it leaks and I pack it in my luggage that I check at the airport.

Most nicer hotel also have microwaves in the rooms so warming up food and storing it is easy.

If I am traveling for an extend period of time - a week or more - I always drive and I take my food with me for the drive. The key for me when I travel for extended time is to stay in condo or extended stay residences. I go to the grocery store and buy my egg beaters, rice, chicken, and cook it up there. Again, dry oats and protein travel easily.

This is really easy to address. Like all things I do I always plan ahead and always prepare accordingly. By doing so, I am never in a position to have to break my diet.

AndroSport

Traptheend
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Is there a per diem amount? My employer doesn't have a set cost per meal. At least they didn't use to. So each mealtime I would order 2 meals as stash one for later

Not for this one... the meals are "provided". But for traveling back east that may work.

AndroSport

Traptheend
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Things about travel that dictate food management: How long and how you travel.

For short term trips with an airplane ride - overnight or a 2 night stays - I do a lot of these because I am often an invited speaker or attend a Board of Directors meeting. For these, I take all my food with me and keep it in the hotel fridge. Dry oats and protein powder travel easily in plastics containers. I will take my cooked chicken and rice with me in a small nylon freezer travel cooler. You can get these at Wal-Mart for about $12. They come with gel inserts that you can freeze and insert into the lining of the cooler. I can easily get 8 meals of chicken and rice stored in one cooler. I wrap them in a plastic bag just in case it leaks and I pack it in my luggage that I check at the airport.

Most nicer hotel also have microwaves in the rooms so warming up food and storing it is easy.

If I am traveling for an extend period of time - a week or more - I always drive and I take my food with me for the drive. The key for me when I travel for extended time is to stay in condo or extended stay residences. I go to the grocery store and buy my egg beaters, rice, chicken, and cook it up there. Again, dry oats and protein travel easily.

This is really easy to address. Like all things I do I always plan ahead and always prepare accordingly. By doing so, I am never in a position to have to break my diet.

I just found out about the new travel meal rules otherwise this would have been easy.

I called ahead and asked the hotel about fridge and microwave. They told me the use of each would be $35/day WTF. So I will just say im not using the fridge and put my stuff in there. I may have to break on the microwave or go find someone in the kitchen area who likes me and will heat up my stuff :)

I currently have protein powders ziplocked, dry oats, froze about 4 cups of rice and about 4-6 servings of lean beef steaks. I think I will be able to pick out some nutritional value from the meals they provide, use the shakes as needed to supplement (I added extra just in case), and run to grab food in my room between meetings.

Well, im off for a few days boys so my activity may be low. Wish me luck and little to no starvation!

g0re

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That's crazy, u could go and buy a cheap microwave for like 35$. I would do that then just leave the thing in the room when I left the hotel.

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've pulled 4 days on WPI & oats/granola 4 meals a day and one or two "real meals" for a total of 5-6 meals a day. I found that dropping on or even two meals for 4-7 days just leaned me a little and shocked my body into a growth spurt once I resumed my 5-6 meal regimen.

AndroSport

Traptheend
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've pulled 4 days on WPI & oats/granola 4 meals a day and one or two "real meals" for a total of 5-6 meals a day. I found that dropping on or even two meals for 4-7 days just leaned me a little and shocked my body into a growth spurt once I resumed my 5-6 meal regimen.

I have been managing with protein shakes (carbs added to some depending on time of day) they are providing some food that I can pick apart to make it healthy enough for me. So subbing with whey, oats and whatever real food I can find. I was able to bring a bunch of frozen lean been fillets and some rice. I've been separating what I need into a separate small ziplock and submerging it in hot water to heat it up.

I also charmed a girl at one of the coffee shops so she will heat things for me sometimes :)

Hopefully this gives me a decent shock to the system for some growth!

Thanks for all your input everyone!!!!!

New Threads