Norovirus: How to lose over 15lbs in two days.

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well hell. I am one of those guys who will never admit when his ass was kicked. Well, I got a major league ass kicking about three weeks ago. I caught the Norovirus .... the Sydney Strain. And, it's still making me it's bitch.

Here's the summary:

Did not eat or drink at all for the first two days.... Sipped water and ate a few Saltine Crackers the third day.
Lost 18 lbs by the 3rd day (from 205 to 187) Lost 10 more pounds in the next two days (187 to 177)
Began drinking as much as possible had NO appetite at all. Forced myself to eat but could NOT eat Tuna, Cottage Cheese, Greek Yogurt, Carrots, Chicken (The five staples of my diet).

I lost 1/2 inch in my neck, 1/2 inch off each bicep, Chest is smaller, lost 1+ inches off my waist, lost 3/4 inch off each quad.

In other words, I got wiped the fuck out.

I have allowed myself to eat anything I can/want just for the calories and I am trying to drink a gallon a day of water. It took almost two weeks of heavy water consumption to feel somewhat hydrated.

Three weeks plus later and I still have stomach cramps and my digestive system is still 'Not Right'.
I took some very good Pro-Biotics and ended up taking them too long I think. (Explosive every 45 minutes)

I am on the verge of running a dirty bulk just to get back to 200.

I was 5'10" 245 for the last 15 years.... two years ago I recomped and ran 26+ miles a week (outdoors). I got down to 170 and then leaned bulked for over a year and hit 200. Now, I am back to where I was before I lean bulked. I have lost a solid year of gains.

Anyway, all of this to say- Brothers, you do not want any part of this fucking 'Sydney' strain of the Norovirus. I am gradually picking up a few pounds but I have decided to revamp my workouts, re-examine my diet, see the doctor about my elbow, and take off until March 1st from any lifting. I am going to have to give my old body some rest... as in a couple of weeks. It's time to step by step rebuild both mentally and physically.

I still have waves of nausea, mild but constant stomach cramps and no strength. I have never had an ass beating like this one before.

I hope and pray you do not catch this....

Much Respect,
Vette

Cashout

Reaction score
I was there in 2007 so I know how you feel. I came down with rotavirus and went through the same thing. It was the first of a series of viral infections that I came down with from 07-09.

My boys had started school and brought home every virus known to man. Once I picked up rota, my immune system was compromised and I was susceptible. That is actually what pushed me to start HRT. I just couldn't stay healthy.

Never in my life had I been sick. I never had so much as a cold or sniffle up until that point in time.

Bad, bad stuff right there.

Best of luck with the recovery - it took me almost 3 years and HRT to climb back to where I was prior to 2007.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not fun... That shit will knock you out for a while. Even after you stop puking it takes time to just feel right.

Santaklaus

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
good luck with that my man..

Get some rest and get your head back in the game as soon as you feel up to it.. don't let the sickness take you mentally out of the game

Reaction score
Have a speedy recovery Vette - we'll be looking for you to be back and better than ever come March 1st.

IWannaGetBig

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Vette, I understand exactly what you're going through. About mid-December is when I caught it. I wound up losing approximately 15 pounds and it wasn't until recently that my digestive tract got back to some degree of normalcy.
Hope you feel better

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Vette, I understand exactly what you're going through. About mid-December is when I caught it. I wound up losing approximately 15 pounds and it wasn't until recently that my digestive tract got back to some degree of normalcy.
Hope you feel better

Well at least there is hope brother. I am seriously beginning to think I will never be back to full health.... You give me hope and I appreciate it. I tried getting back in to routine after a week but it was a disaster.

Glad you are better brother. Thank you for the well wishes!

Much Respect,
Vette

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Try to stay optimistic Vette. Even though this is a shitty situation just keep pushing forward and little by little you will recoup and rebuild. Good Luck!

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Get better uncle vette.

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
whoop this thing and you will bounce back fast

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that bro.

Dirty bulk on tren will do it bro!

Capt'n Ron

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Keep the faith brother Vette! You'll be feeling better soon.

grind4it

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Damn brother, I'm sorry to hear that you have been so sick.

I think most of that that have been in the game for any amount of time have experience similar set backs...doesn't change the fact you are going through this. I hope you get back to 100% ASAP.

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Damn Vette, did not know that. Hope you get back normalcy brother, I keep you in prayers brother. I run a Nurse Staffing agency, and I hear of ever virus and sickness under the sun, and we are dealing with nasty shit nowadays..... I have been lucky to dodge the bullet so far this year, you know with a 7 yr old bring everythng home! But keep at it man!

Hollywood72

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nothing fun about that at all!

I know you'll be back at it soon. Just get the required rest and don't rush anything.

AndroSport

Traptheend
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear brother... i very rarely get any sort of sickness and have never had anything like this (thank god) but any time i even begin to feel my immune system has been weakened I just rest and eat until i feel recovered.

Rest will be your best friend right now IMO and you will gain more by healing than trying to work out or muscle your way through it.

Things WILL turn up brother. Prayers going your way!

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Sorry to hear brother... i very rarely get any sort of sickness and have never had anything like this (thank god) but any time i even begin to feel my immune system has been weakened I just rest and eat until i feel recovered.

Rest will be your best friend right now IMO and you will gain more by healing than trying to work out or muscle your way through it.

Things WILL turn up brother. Prayers going your way!

Yeah, what the Mexican wrestler said!

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear this Vette. hope you recover quickly.
I know how you feel though. Ive had several set backs like this over the years. never from an illness like this
but from major trauma. being hospitalized, poor appetite, unable to workout for several months while muscles atrophy and you watch some of your hard work melt away.
then you get back on the program and you get it back. Ive been through this process several times through out my life. my point is, is that your body is amazing
when it comes to rebuilding. Yes, its a set back but you'll get it back brother. the bright side is, that you already have the knowledge to get yourself back to
where you were. good luck, revover quickly and attack back. dont let this virus win in the end.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This is a terrible thing to feel! Working so hard to achieve ones goals, only to have something entirely uncontrollable crush them. I didn't have this illness, but last year I got pneumonia. Like any true 23 year old asshat, I worked out for two weeks with a brutal cough. That cough worsened to the point where I was puking my guts out and had severe chest/back pain. I popped(collapsed) part of my damn lung! All in all, I was out for 6 weeks. Couldn't lift, couldn't run and couldn't go to work. Spent the whole time in a damned bed.

Just thought I would share to let you know that we can sympathize with your struggle, and are here to help anyway we can. Just rest up, you are a seasoned brother and know when it's time to get back to work!

Also, I agree with SFG...tren and a nasty diet can be amazing. I had a massive, balls out cheat day a few weeks ago (don't tell Spongy) and didn't gain an ounce of fat. Tren is truly amazing stuff.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Damn, Vette!
Sorry to hear brother. Get healthy & start kicking some ass again!

I finally had to take time off. I have not lifted in 2 1/2 weeks mid cycle no less :-S I tried to lift thru this congestion but my workout time almost doubled b/c I was hacking/coughing & spitting between sets. Sucks ass being ill. I have not dared to step on a scale.

New Threads