Deadlift Shin Scraping

Reaction score
Any deadlifters out there, how do you avoid scraping the shit out of your legs on lifts?

Even using the bar at my gym with the most worn-down knurling, my shins (regular DL) or inner leg (sumo) get scraped up when I deadlift. It's been happening more the past couple months as my PRs have been climbing. It's not the discomfort so much as that I've broken the skin slightly a couple times, and it's a bit of a showstopper for DLs that day.

Is this a function of not pulling through my hams and straightening legs early enough in the lift? Or if it's just part of the lift to learn to live with, anyone have a strategy for working around this?

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Under armor and I'm sure other places make real tall socks that are that nylon type material. Helps the bar slide rather than tear your skin off.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
9u6aga2e.jpg

Those are the socks I wear when I Deadlift. You can buy knee socks at any sporting goods store in the soccer section...

But even with socks, baby powder or whatever else you've got you WILL scrape your shins up. Mine are all scarred. I love it :)

mistah187

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The blood runnin down my shins motivates me. Lol but seriously.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Soccer socks. When I oly lifted a lot I'd go home with bloody hands, shins and the front and back of my neck from cleans and behind the neck push presses. It's all part of the game.

Cashout

Reaction score
A nice thick pair of cotton sweat pants works great for me.

I use Russell Athletic sweats when I DL. Open on the cuffs so it is easy to get them on and off without taking your shoes off and they don't have pockets - I hate pockets in sweats.

They are cheap too - $12.99 a pair at Academy Sports.

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
9u6aga2e.jpg

Those are the socks I wear when I Deadlift. You can buy knee socks at any sporting goods store in the soccer section...

But even with socks, baby powder or whatever else you've got you WILL scrape your shins up. Mine are all scarred. I love it :)
Dude u need some sun on those legs. Lol

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Dude u need some sun on those legs. Lol

My doctor agrees... My boss thought I was a vampire at one point.

I hate outside

I hate the sun

I hate fresh air

I hate sandy beaches

Reaction score
seconded on anti-pockets. I feel like they always catch... what's the point of compression shorts to secure the junk when the bar's just going to catch on pocket fabric or thumbs on pocket openings?

thanks for all the advice folks. going to try out both options (socks and sweats) over the next two workouts and see what works best.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Any deadlifters out there, how do you avoid scraping the shit out of your legs on lifts?

Even using the bar at my gym with the most worn-down knurling, my shins (regular DL) or inner leg (sumo) get scraped up when I deadlift. It's been happening more the past couple months as my PRs have been climbing. It's not the discomfort so much as that I've broken the skin slightly a couple times, and it's a bit of a showstopper for DLs that day.

Is this a function of not pulling through my hams and straightening legs early enough in the lift? Or if it's just part of the lift to learn to live with, anyone have a strategy for working around this?

It means you technique is most likely spot on and not to change it.

gfunky

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I just pull straight up, not back and drag, never get scrapped on the way up and very small percentage going down.....

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I just pull straight up, not back and drag, never get scrapped on the way up and very small percentage going down.....

That may limit you at some point. You have an interesting way to pull. Very high hips and shoulders over the bar. Your low back is doing the lifting.

Sherk

Reaction score
I ride dirt bikes so I just use my riding socks. They're thick and just about come to my knee. This guy at my gym is a beast and uses shin guards for soccer. Everyone teases him behind his back but I've always wondered how well that really works.

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I wear the tall white socks, a plaid skirt, and put my hair in pig tails.

JOMO

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I just bought some socks from hot topic. Knee highs, its was either the black pair i bought or the really truly freak ones. I've got the metal ones POB has waiting for me in NY along with other goodies I bought from elitefts a few months back.

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I just bought some socks from hot topic. Knee highs
Dude that's gay. Like before 10pm gay.

JOMO

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lmao, only other socks i have around here are the half length ones. Was it that hot topic was gay or the knee highs. Cause they are just as long as the metal pulling ones.

RedLang

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This thread has me re evaluating my deads. I dont scrape my shins, but have myself set so the bar sits about 1/2inch away the whole way up except right at the top. Should i be moving the bar closer towards my body? I definatly feel it in quads, hams, glutes, lowerback upper back and traps when heavy.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This thread has me re evaluating my deads. I dont scrape my shins, but have myself set so the bar sits about 1/2inch away the whole way up except right at the top. Should i be moving the bar closer towards my body? I definatly feel it in quads, hams, glutes, lowerback upper back and traps when heavy.

The further the bar gets away from you the more focused the weight is on the lower back. You want to pull that bar into you while driving the hips forward.

New Threads