Thread: Life and Things

Thanks

Life and Things

Been in the game for a good while, and I have been working out for as long as I can remember. Heck, I had some of the nation’s top coaches on speed dial and talked to Jim Tressel just a week ago. Worked out with the strength and conditioning coach of a national champion football program the last day I worked out. I think I am stunned because I was pretty sure I had all my angles covered; diet and nutrition, lifting and workout techniques, gear and the stacks that made things happen for me. And then reality served me a dose of humble pie. It was crass and nauseating to say the least. I was just finishing two years or recomp moving from PowerLifting to Physique building. I dropped from 245 to 170 and lean bulked to 200, then I hit 205# and my lifts were all up. My body fat was non-existent and I was about to go on a lean bulk prior to a summer cut that promised to be the summer I turned heads at the ripe old age of 55. Split calves, six pack, veins like hoses, hell I was on top of the game…and didn’t even know it. That’s when you fall the farthest you know … when you are at your highest.

I contracted the Sydney Strain of the Norovirus. The one thing that I had no control over was my biological process and a failure of health was the humble pie I was about to devour. I dropped to 171, I did not eat anything at all for the first two days… and I couldn’t drink at all either. I dehydrated. My body began to eat muscle- it was all I had. The thought of the foods that were a staple of my diet was sickening to me. I was going to have to find the bottom, embrace the challenge of climbing back up the ladder and realize that despite my best efforts luck and good fortune would have to shine on me. “If you are going through hell, keep going.” Winston Churchill

Mortality is the word that comes to mind. We are mortal, but we are a different breed you and I.

Enter what makes us who we are: determination, perseverance, desire, discipline, focus. As I said, we are a unique breed you and I. The hard work and tenants of bodybuilding we have developed and nurtured assure that we are ready, willing and able to face challenges. In the beginning I did not want to share my sickness with my brotherhood. I was in denial myself. But now, one month later, denial will not be what brings me in to recovery. My faith in you, and my faith in me will be what I use to climb back to where I want to be. Those tough lessons we learned in the Temple of Iron and sweat will be where I derive my strength. Because of my ability to be in contact and share with other bodybuilders I have support- and so do you. I am actually looking forward to the rebuild and the challenges ahead. I am calling this operation phoenix for me…. From the ashes of demise a strong and healthy Vette shall arise. “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.” Winston Churchill

If you should be suffering a setback due to a lack of motivation, illness, because you fell off the train of good diet or hard lifting or any other reason I implore you to take the challenge on with me…. And let’s work to build a better ‘me’ in 2013. We are a brotherhood and I will lean on you this year as I fight my way back. If I can help you in anyway at all, please ask. “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will.” Vince Lombardi Jr.

Much Respect,
    Vette
    Hung like Einstein and Smart as a Mule.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,268 Posts

Re: Life and Things

keep doin what you do vette

Thanks

Love me some Vince Lombardi material... what an amazing dude.

Sometimes when we are doing "too well" I think the world feels it needs to come put us in check to let us know there are bigger things than us individuals.

Stay with it brother you will bounce back quickly and we are here for you!

Thanks

Words to LIVE by

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!!!

Now get back up and KILL IT BROTHER!!!

Helping each other out is what im here for!
    Stay modivated! You only have this life to make it happen!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,368 Times in 2,155 Posts

Dig your heels in an fight for what you want.
    I am sure that you have what it takes.
    We have broad shoulders, dont be afraid to lean on us for anything at all.
    traps are the new abs.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,991 Times in 2,995 Posts

I really dont know what to say Im kind of stunned. I feel terrible for you. I wasnt expecting to hear this, you kind of get an image of one another on here and it burns to hear that a great friend is having a hardtime. Not at all worried about you bouncing back, it just sucks to hear guys like you have to suffer things like this. Your a great leader, mentor and friend to alot of us here I expect the community you live and represent knows the same. One thing I know is you have my unconditional support. You need anything just ask man. Keep us posted.

Thanks

Wow, Vette. I had read about it and thought it was "just" a stomach bug. Are you recovering now - are you clean of it?

Thanks

You tell a great, yet unfortunate in this case, story. Your philosophy and optimism is a beautiful thing! My thoughts and prayers are with you and all the SI brotherhood!

Thanks

Originally Posted by BigFella View Post
    Wow, Vette. I had read about it and thought it was "just" a stomach bug. Are you recovering now - are you clean of it?

I cannot honestly say I am back to normal yet brother. It appears that this thing wiped me out and killed my immune system. I have a doctors appointment this Monday to see if they can figure out why I keep losing weight and having intestinal pains.

I appreciate so much all of the kind words and support. I want anyone who needs to kick up a notch to commit with me, first mentally, to make this the best year we have ever had.

You can't keep a good man down and this board is full of good men.

Much Respect,
    Vette
    Hung like Einstein and Smart as a Mule.

Thanks

Damn brotha!!! Get better man! I have a sinus infection and its making me pissed cause I have been having a hard time eating as much as I should.

I cant imagine what your going thru! Shitty!

Thanks

Originally Posted by BigGameHunter View Post
    I really dont know what to say Im kind of stunned. I feel terrible for you. I wasnt expecting to hear this, you kind of get an image of one another on here and it burns to hear that a great friend is having a hardtime. Not at all worried about you bouncing back, it just sucks to hear guys like you have to suffer things like this. Your a great leader, mentor and friend to alot of us here I expect the community you live and represent knows the same. One thing I know is you have my unconditional support. You need anything just ask man. Keep us posted.
    ^^^^^this X2

Thanks

Great post my brother!
    Eating ass is anabolic. .. Stick your tongue in and hold it there for 20 seconds! Wise words from
    TRODIZZLE

Thanks

Originally Posted by 63Vette View Post

I want anyone who needs to kick up a notch to commit with me, first mentally, to make this the best year we have ever had.

You can't keep a good man down and this board is full of good men.

Much Respect,
    Vette
    I'll gladly accept that challenge and make that commitment with you brother. You have been an example and an inspiration since I joined this board. You have shown me that age isn't an barrier to becoming the biggest, strongest, bad ass I have ever been. Get yourself well and you will surprise yourself how fast you recover the gains you thought you had lost. If there is anything I can do to help, say the word and I'll be there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 647 Posts

Vette, I have a ridiculous amount of respect for you. If anyone can bounce back from something like this it's you my brother. Keep us posted and if you need anything at all - the bro's are here for you and always will be. Good luck my friend.

Thanks

First of all, I hate this whole thing for you. You are an inspiring and positive dude and I hate to see you going through hard times. Second, Ill take you up on that challenge. As hard as I lift, I still drink like a fish. I gotta quit if I really expect to see my goals. I know this shit but its such a frickin habit that I cant even go a few days without. Actually Ill be honest and say I have to force myself to only drink a 6er a night. I blow money buying 6packs when 24 is way cheaper but if I buy 6, Ill drink 6 and not want to leave the house.. I need somebody to call me a pussy when I **** up. You mother****ers are basically all Ive got. When I divorced I moved to a small town 6 hours away and lets just say, Im not the easiest guy to make friends with. Vette, You are the SHIT. Ive got your back bro.

Thanks

you come off as a great leader and a smart man and a tuff old bastard youll get thru this old tuff ****ers like you dont go nowhere they just get more leathery **** sickness you got this mother****er