Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Need some help guys. Interviewing.

So i'm trying to get a new job and i'm pretty much in other than nailing the interview. I have connections internally but not in HR which is who will be doing the interview.

Its a behavioral based interview. The problem with that is I suck at story telling, and don't really keep much in the memory bank as far as highlights or low-lights of my career.

I've been successful by doing it rather than talking about it. So I lack the bull shitting skills. I'm not a big talker or the type to hype myself up. Give me the work and ill do it. That doesn't work in the situation.

Just looking for a little advice from any of you guys who have given or received a bunch of interviews. I've done two interviews in my life, so I'm far from experienced at the process.

Thanks

Re: Need some help guys. Interviewing.

.....words of encouragement.
    good luck.

I hate those personality character tests.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,523 Times in 1,493 Posts

In my experience, the interview with hr doesn't mean much. For the most part they don't know the technical aspects of the job you are interviewing for and act as more of a gatekeeping before you interview with the actual manager, team, or individual you will be working with. With that being said, just turn on the charm and fight the urge to ask them if they want to see your 'guns'
    Fight against something and you focus on the thing you hate. Fight for something and you focus on the thing you love. - Simon Sinek

Thanks

jaja...yea. thats it bro. dont show off your guns

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 645 Posts

I just did the same thing worm. first time i've tried to change jobs in 13 years. walk in there like you own the place brother.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,266 Posts

in my last interview the portion with HR ment jack shit. I talked with the HR person for 35min or so. But next was the VP of sales.......He and i hit it off. it lasted about an hr and a half. once it went past an hr i knew i was GTG.

talk about what you have done in the past. Dont try to brag, just tell the truth. try to let them in....in terms of letting know get to know your personality and such. people like people.

be yourself man.

GL

Thanks

or tell them that you're a big strong bad ass white boy that will eat their children if they don't give you the job lol.

Thanks

Im thinking the old Iron Mike line about not speaking to them unless I fornicate with them.

Thanks

hahaha hell yeah that could work!!!

Thanks

just do what you do best man. sell them on that. you ll be cool

Thanks
    Thanked 18,092 Times in 7,788 Posts

I used to interview for sport... I'd fly around the country taking interviews and 99% of the time got offers. My thing.. Confidence. If you know your field, then be confident in that. Also don't come off like an arrogant bastard or an asshole. Its really that simple.
    "Overzealous dosing" -Jin

Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

Thanks

This should get you in the door brother.

http://youtu.be/ew0h3xnwyR4

Thanks

Originally Posted by PillarofBalance View Post
    I used to interview for sport... I'd fly around the country taking interviews and 99% of the time got offers. My thing.. Confidence. If you know your field, then be confident in that. Also don't come off like an arrogant bastard or an asshole. Its really that simple.
    this is huge as well. Dont get over confident or be a prick. Just be knowledgable, respectful and let them know you know a thing or two about the field you work in.

Thanks

Do it tandem:

Thanks

Good luck worm. I've interviewed many times haha and have probably had 15 jobs in my life. Like the bros have said they're looking for honesty and its mostly about being confident and making the interviewer feel as though you'd be a good fit at their company. I always practice prior to the interview and make sure if they ask questions like,” name 3 positive things about yourself or 3 negative things about yourself”, that I have those covered and don't have to sit there and think about it. Some other common questions for a character interview, name something you regret doing in your life and why and what you'd do differently, if you had to choose one word your friends would use to characterize you what would it be etc. You get the point so ya all the best big worm hope to hear you nailed it!!

Thanks

I bombed an interview a few years back. I have zero memory bank also and was totally not expecting certain questions they asked, more-so about life in general. I stuttered and hmmed and hawed alot and I looked like an idiot. Some of the questions were like ....where do you see yourself in 5 years, what do you do for fun, do you get along with everyone, if not what annoys you (I generally hate people btw...lol), do you see yourself staying with this company, etc, etc.

Those questions caught me off guard, so my advice would be not to just focus on the job aspect, but go over and think of some answers to general questions also.

And of course just be yourself and be honest (for the most part). Good luck Wormy.

Thanks

dont get yourself all worked up its just like trying to pick up girl be natural if you dont like the way the convo is going swing it to somthing that shows your strong points sad part is life and sucess have alot to do with bullshit. you got this

Thanks
    Thanked 3,263 Times in 1,933 Posts

Yeah Worm, first of good luck, but I have to agree don't get all worked up about it. If you have the skills and you know your job then relax and focus. Don't be some one you are not, that is worst then some one that is just sub par with skills. My company since it is a staffing company does about 45 interviews/ week. That HR bullcrap that they pull means squat. You know what matters!? Likeability. Will this person be a good fit for us now and the years to come. I have always approached job interviews I had straight out of college with a grain of salt, not so much caring to prove my ability but to get them to like me.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,111 Times in 4,363 Posts

I hate the corporate world with their ****in ties and suits.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 2,992 Posts

Ive given dozens of interviews trust me on this. Relax but DO NOT blow this off. HR is usually harmless unless you **** up. Be confident, and truthful and the real you will come out.

Thought Id post this as a what not to do:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast