Why every American should be issued a handgun.

bubbagump

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
An armed society is a polite society. Not this bullshit.

[video]http://fox8.com/2013/02/01/robbers-use-taser-on-4-year-old/[/video]

Reaction score
anecdote is neither data nor a reasonable call to arms. I can think of seniors with a driver's license who shouldn't be driving. surely, when cooler heads prevail, you can think of a couple dozen lawful american citizens who should under no circumstances be issued firearms?

As an ironclad rule: never point a loaded gun at a target you don't intent to destroy or kill. Where exactly does the line get drawn in a kidnapping? In this case, it sounds like the tazing was done at a second location; assuming the kidnappers would have disarmed the family before moving them, would it have been justifiable to kill before that took place? I don't mean in terms of the legal rights you can defend (which certainly depends on your state of residence) but in terms of morality. Tazing is horrible, but it's a thing that happens to you and you can process it. Ending a life irrevocable and haunting.

[this ignoring the overwhelming and compelling statistical and international-comparative evidence that more guns issued without strict control and training simply throw more fuel on a raging fire]

bubbagump

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sure there are a few dumbasses that shouldnt be allowed to use a microwave much less pack heat but Natural Selection has a way of weeding out stupidity. Ending a life is a bad deal but if someone comes into my house looking for trouble, theyre gonna find it. Whether their intent is to kidnap, rob, or murder- If they are imposing a threat to me during the commission of a crime; thats a life decision that THEY have made, and a poor one. I feel no remorse for swatting a fly on the wall. Scumbag fucking crooks are parasites just the same. If it makes you feel like you are standing the moral high ground to prefer to be tazed and kidnapped opposed to using lethal force, that is your right. BUT if more people were armed, crime would drop and you may never have to worry about getting tazed.
What are the overwhelming and compelling statistics you are referring to? According to the FBI uniform crime code the cities with the strictest gun regulations have the highest crime rate. The cities with the highest civilian gun ownership have the lowest crime rate. Its nearly impossible to own a gun in Chicago or DC but more people died in each than were killed in Afghanistan last year. Go figure.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
In my previous line of work of 16 yrs as a bail bondman (less than a month removed) I have had numerous guns pulled on me by all types of people good and bad. Some ment to scare me, others confused as to what my buisness was at their house in the middle of the night. Never once been shot, never once been tempted to wish it was illegal for them to have a firearm.

I knew the risks of my job and made my peace with it and any self respecting criminal knows this as well.. FYI I never carried a gun because Ive never wanted to kill anyone while doing my job. Ive also removed guns from guys that watched too much TV and waved it around too long. Like the old saying "the only type of gun to point at someone should be smoking" or something like that. I can also tell you that when a woman pulls a gun on you...hold your ears and or get the fuck out of the way she will empty it.

I guess my point is guns are a way of life here in America, like traffic is in to Atlanta, its here we have to deal with it. If I made peace with the fact that there are guns on the street and knew I was going to see one or two a month, society can deal with the fact that good citizens should have the right to arm themselves. Even though they will probably never have to encounter a firearm in their life.

Good thread and opinions on each side though. DJ you make some great points and I respect your opinion. Your a great addition to this board.

R1rider

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
God bless America and the 2nd Amendment

Good stuff Bubba

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I carry. Have since I came to the 'states and was legally able to do so. I've only had to draw-down on someone as a civilian one time in 20 years. Having a weapon at my side makes me more responsible / less likely to put myself in situations where I'll encounter conflict. I respect those who'd rather not see an open sidearm, so I keep it concealed. I can also respect that there are some whom I don't think have the common sense and emotional maturity to deal with deadly force.

Tough balance, but I am very thankful for my rights in this country and I will continue to exercise them legally.

getgains

Reaction score
i own firearms of all kinds and have jumped thru all the hoops to do so in canada when i lived in the states all thru college go tar heels i loved the openess and availability of firearms you guys have it great! its too bad 0.1% fuck it all up for the rest of you guys

Tilltheend

Banned
Reaction score
Thats garbage and what really tops it off is what they did to the 4 yr old. I believe they all deserve the death penalty. By a 2 round firing squad. Meaning after shot they get to lay and bleed and think about what they did for about an hr. Then if still alive they get shot again.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sure there are a few dumbasses that shouldnt be allowed to use a microwave much less pack heat but Natural Selection has a way of weeding out stupidity. Ending a life is a bad deal but if someone comes into my house looking for trouble, theyre gonna find it. Whether their intent is to kidnap, rob, or murder- If they are imposing a threat to me during the commission of a crime; thats a life decision that THEY have made, and a poor one. I feel no remorse for swatting a fly on the wall. Scumbag fucking crooks are parasites just the same. If it makes you feel like you are standing the moral high ground to prefer to be tazed and kidnapped opposed to using lethal force, that is your right. BUT if more people were armed, crime would drop and you may never have to worry about getting tazed.
What are the overwhelming and compelling statistics you are referring to? According to the FBI uniform crime code the cities with the strictest gun regulations have the highest crime rate. The cities with the highest civilian gun ownership have the lowest crime rate. Its nearly impossible to own a gun in Chicago or DC but more people died in each than were killed in Afghanistan last year. Go figure.

I agree. You come into my home and
Threaten my family, when you exit
You won't be walking out.
If guns were banned, then they would
Just be pulling a baseball bat out of
Your ass. Either way the result would
Be the same.
Banning guns won't change a damn
Thing as far as killings and crimes,
It'll just give the criminals an advantage
Over the weak.
I seriously believe there are people
Trying to break this country down
From within.

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If making guns illegal solved crime then making drugs illegal would solve the drug problem. Dumbasses.

You think some thug on his way to do a home invasion and rape some 'bitches' is going to bring a putty knife if they make guns illegal? Bank robbers are going to bring shovels to rob banks?

Come one people.... who the fuck do you think will make the weapons and ammunition for the military when you run S&W, Colt, and the other US manufacturers out of business? Playschool? Or are we just going to pay them in non war times to hang out and do R&D and keep on standby?

I really don't care if you THINK gun control is a solution or not, if you are completely honest you know damn well a criminal doesn't care if guns are legal or not while perpetrating a crime.

Stop stomping on the US Constitution dammit!

Vette

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^ well said Vette.
There are some ass backward people
In this country and government.
They want to legalize the drugs that
Are killing and messing up our youths
Lives and ban the guns that are protecting
Law abiding Americans in our homes
And on the streets.
Shits nauseating how they are destroying
This country.

bubbagump

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If guns kill people and they want to ban them because of it. why wouldn't they just ban murder? I mean that would cover a broader spectrum of the problem. Oh. Wait a second. Murder IS Already illegal. So banning it doesn't.really seem.to make a difference to the people intent on doing so. Why would anybody think a gun issue would be any different?
And if the government really gave a shit about the drug problem, they could do something about it. But they make a shitload of money off of it and.it keeps a good portion of the population retarded and not giving a fuck what the government does.

corvettels3

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Speaking with some local officers and even a detective the only type of gun control they would like to see is high capacity mags. When I asked why.. It was pretty simple if they were to ever get into a fire fight and the criminal has to keep reloading after say 10rds. Those few extra seconds of having to reload will benefit the officers. It made sense to me then I thought to myself what if a criminal broke into my house. I would not what to keep reloading giving the robber the advantage.

The only type of gun control law I would be in favor for is background checks at gun shows. I'm not too sure how it is in other states, but here in Texas any nut job can go to any gun show pickup whatever they need if the seller is private. You have a few dealers, but most are private.

just my 2 cents..

SAD

Reaction score
^^^^^^ well said Vette.
There are some ass backward people
In this country and government.
They want to legalize the drugs that
Are killing and messing up our youths
Lives and ban the guns that are protecting
Law abiding Americans in our homes
And on the streets.
Shits nauseating how they are destroying
This country.

What drugs are "they" trying to legalize? Please tell me you're not talking about pot. (I'm not a pot smoker.)

On topic, guns are like any other responsibility; man the fuck up and take care of business with discerning wisdom, or pay the consequences. You can't legislate insanity or evil, and I'll be damned if you think you're going to make ME and MY FAMILY more vulnerable to insanity and evil. All you're (and by "you're" I mean the people pushing for a total ban) going to do is force me to become a "criminal" because I refuse to give up my firearms.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah Sad, I guess I'm talking about pot
Since its the "first" drug their trying to
Legalize. A drug is a drug. They start with
Pot and then what's next. In California you
Can get a prescription for pot just because...
They have these pot shops on every
Corner where you can walk into they
Have so mayn't varieties and flavors
It's like a fruit stand. More people
Are running around stoned than ever
Just because they can. Half of the people
I try to hire can't pass the damn
Drug test.
Pots not that harsh of a drug but my point
Is its just a start. Once they fully legalize
That. Then they'll say its ok to legalize
Others.
Yet they want to take away our right
To protect ourselfs and bare arms because
Of a few irresponsible people but they
Have no problem legalizing something
That will fuck up even more lives from
The irresponsible actions of being high.
This is a little off topic but this is what
I mean by ass backward people.

SAD

Reaction score
Wow. We'll have to agree to disagree.

For the record, alcohol is 100x the problem in the society than pot will ever be. Everything in moderation.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah Sad, I guess I'm talking about pot
Since its the "first" drug their trying to
Legalize. A drug is a drug. They start with
Pot and then what's next. In California you
Can get a prescription for pot just because...
They have these pot shops on every
Corner where you can walk into they
Have so mayn't varieties and flavors
It's like a fruit stand. More people
Are running around stoned than ever
Just because they can. Half of the people
I try to hire can't pass the damn
Drug test.
Pots not that harsh of a drug but my point
Is its just a start. Once they fully legalize
That. Then they'll say its ok to legalize
Others.
Yet they want to take away our right
To protect ourselfs and bare arms because
Of a few irresponsible people but they
Have no problem legalizing something
That will fuck up even more lives from
The irresponsible actions of being high.
This is a little off topic but this is what
I mean by ass backward people.

Portugal had rampant heroin abuse due to former government subsidization of the drug. They legalized everything and it drastically reduced addiction. Just trying to stir the discussion pot.
Drugs are something I think should be completely legal...I would chose not to use them, but its my damn body. Legalize the drugs, but legislate against the bad behavior abuse causes. Like alcohol and DUIs. I agree with SAD, alcohol is far more dangerous then most illegal drugs. I have never been more fucked up or aggressive/psycho then when I have drunk too much.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree with the alcohol too.
Pot is a huge problem out here in California.
Unless you live here, you're not going
To see the full scope of it. Like I said
A lot of people I can't hire just because
It's legally accessible. That means more
People without jobs, which leads to
other problems. Not to mention
Most young people are less motivated
To do something useful with their live
Because they're sitting around burning out.
Anyway. Maybe this is not the best
Analogy on a gun topic but its just a point.
On ridiculous decisions.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree with the alcohol too.
Pot is a huge problem out here in California.
Unless you live here, you're not going
To see the full scope of it. Like I said
A lot of people I can't hire just because
It's legally accessible. That means more
People without jobs, which leads to
other problems. Not to mention
Most young people are less motivated
To do something useful with their live
Because they're sitting around burning out.
Anyway. Maybe this is not the best
Analogy on a gun topic but its just a point.
On ridiculous decisions.

I live in SoCal, and we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
BTW, I do not smoke. So, that is not my motivation for this argument. Just to be clear...

New Threads