switching sumo

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
my conventional deadlift has pretty much came to a stand still and it's very frustrating so i'm going to try switching to sumo for a while to see if it will get my conventional up. i've rarely pulled sumo but i did 405 for 7 reps last night so that was somewhat encouraging. any of you bro's deadlift both ways for the same reason?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I can pull both ways and they are roughly equal. With Sumo I'm more efficient; with conventional I have speed. Give it a try. Who knows. Are you doing dynamic work though? What does your deadlift training look like?

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I guess mine aren't roughly equal because i haven't pulled sumo much. i honestly felt like i was faster sumo because i wasn't having to pull the weight as far but i feel stronger conventional because it's what i've always done. yeah i'm doing dynamic work. it switches about every week but we did 10 sets of 2 with chains yesterday with short rest. not sure what you meant by deadlift training bro, but sometimes we do pin pulls, some days we do deficit pulls, block pulls, reverse bad pulls, etc.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I guess mine aren't roughly equal because i haven't pulled sumo much. i honestly felt like i was faster sumo because i wasn't having to pull the weight as far but i feel stronger conventional because it's what i've always done. yeah i'm doing dynamic work. it switches about every week but we did 10 sets of 2 with chains yesterday with short rest. not sure what you meant by deadlift training bro, but sometimes we do pin pulls, some days we do deficit pulls, block pulls, reverse bad pulls, etc.

By training I'm trying to get an idea of your work capacity. The more I deadlift the more I can deadlift. Opposite of what the old timers will tell you. I'd been told before "the best way to build up your deadlift is to not deadlift. Just squat heavy."

bullshit....

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
we only do each core lift once a week but sometimes do extra assistance work on other days.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Consider speed deads at 50 to 60% after squats (prob monday?) and then (probably friday?) when you pull go heavier... I loved that building up my pull. Can't keep that up forever though.

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
thanks man. definitely gotta switch things up every few months. i've been doing some stiff leg dumbell deads on squat days but it's about time to try something different so i may throw in an extra speed day like you suggested.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
thanks man. definitely gotta switch things up every few months. i've been doing some stiff leg dumbell deads on squat days but it's about time to try something different so i may throw in an extra speed day like you suggested.

I like those with the dumbbells... Dimmel deads are good too as well as glute bridges and GHR's.

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
do you do snatch grip deads? we've been doing those off of a 2 inch pad and that shit sucks pretty hard.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
do you do snatch grip deads? we've been doing those off of a 2 inch pad and that shit sucks pretty hard.

hands down my least favorite exercise on the planet.

DADAWG

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Consider speed deads at 50 to 60% after squats (prob monday?) and then (probably friday?) when you pull go heavier... I loved that building up my pull. Can't keep that up forever though.

speed deads are good IF you can maintain decent form , a lot of people look like a spasdic chimpanzee when they do any kind oof speed work.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sumo, checking-in. I pull conventional roughly once every 2 weeks, and then mostly low reps / heavy weight. Sumo is my go-to stance for rep work, 1x a week.

Disclaimer: I'm not a PL, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :)

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
speed deads are good IF you can maintain decent form , a lot of people look like a spasdic chimpanzee when they do any kind oof speed work.

i'm not one to just go apeshit with the bar when i do speed work. i'll usually at least take a few seconds to reset before each pull and just be explosive. i've seen people look stupid while doing dynamic work though.

DADAWG

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i'm not one to just go apeshit with the bar when i do speed work. i'll usually at least take a few seconds to reset before each pull and just be explosive. i've seen people look stupid while doing dynamic work though.

you have the right idea. the move itself should be fast and explosive but take as much time as needed between reps to reset for a text book rep.

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
you have the right idea. the move itself should be fast and explosive but take as much time as needed between reps to reset for a text book rep.

exactly. a lot of people think its about doing 5 reps or whatever as fast as possible. definitely the wrong idea.

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Totally different animals. Conventional is king but really depends what your training goals are. On the speed work: I like to re-grip the bar each time so my speed is slower than usual. You get better work that way as once you get into a groove you can start pumping out reps and lose form, possible cause injury, etc. Though Stan Efferding might argue that and I probably wouldn't argue back...

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Totally different animals. Conventional is king but really depends what your training goals are. On the speed work: I like to re-grip the bar each time so my speed is slower than usual. You get better work that way as once you get into a groove you can start pumping out reps and lose form, possible cause injury, etc. Though Stan Efferding might argue that and I probably wouldn't argue back...

Why is conventional king?

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Why is conventional king?

I should have clarified...it is King for me or others like me because of my strength goals, primarily posterior chain development and the strength benefits that come with that including sports performance. The short pull in the sumo (easier heavy pull typically depending on body proportions) coupled with a quad emphasis does make sense for physique for sure. Still I think if you want to be strong as fuck you pull conventional...if you want sexy quads squat oly and front and pull sumo more.

Plus I think sumo looks as gay as a bull with tits, but hey that's just me.

I thought this was interesting: primallifter.com/comparing-sumo-and-conventional-deadlifts/

New Threads