10 reasons squats are a terrible exercise

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
by CHRISTOPHER SMITH on FEBRUARY 18, 2013
It is well documented that squats are a horrible exercise choice for anyone who actually cares about their body. They are reckless, dangerous and an inefficient use of your time. You’re better off doing basically anything else. Here’s why:

• Squats hurt your knees. We all know this to be true – especially if you squat anywhere near to parallel. All of those Olympic weightlifters, pro athletes, powerlifters and bodybuilders who squat all the way down are genetic outliers with divinely engineered knee joints. Plus, steroids.

• Squats require you to place a loaded barbell on top of your spine! It’s practically in direct contact with the vertebra. This is just stupid. It would be different if there were some kind of muscle group there, maybe trapezoidal in shape, that could form a cushion between the bar and your delicate spinal structure but since that hasn’t yet been discovered this statement is 100% accurate.

• You just don’t need to do squats to build muscular, strong legs. Focusing on things like leg presses, leg extension and lunges is a far more effective way to build great legs. All those lifters who used squats were on steroids and that’s the only reason they got results. You need to train the small, assistance muscles in order to pull the skin closer to the muscle anyway.

• The back squat is more of a low back exercise than a leg exercise anyway. Just look at the name: BACK squat. Plus the physics says so. If my math is correct, and according to my PhD. in Mathology from the correspondence college of Nigeria it is, the following formula illustrates my point perfectly:

L2*Sq=(R3/3I)531

I won’t bore you by actually explaining what any of that means in terms that any normal person could actually understand. Just suffice it to say that back squats are terrible for you spine. Anyone who says differently is probably on steroids.

Steroidsmeme-300x261.jpg

• No sport outside of powerlifting, Olympic weightlifting or Crossfit requires you to place a load on your back and lift it straight up. Therefore, squats are not a functional exercise. So why waste your time? It’s not like the ability to exert force using a rigid, neutral trunk and activating the musculature of the hips, knees and torso is ever going to come about in every day life.

• I know this dude whose friend went to school with a Navy SEAL who says squats suck. This point is axiomatic.

• Heavy squats, on top of destroying your knees and back (see the above points), will make you slow. Everyone knows that lifts that move slow make you slow. Therefore, heavy squats will hurt athletic performance.

• Squatting is too hard on the central nervous system. Squatting more than once a month will totally burn out your CNS and lead to overtraining. Nobody in the history of lifting has ever been successful by squatting more than once a week MAX. Nobody. I dare you to find one. The Bulgarians were all on steroids.

• The Olde Time Strongmen didn’t do squats. If they didn’t do them, you don’t need to do them. These dudes were jacked and strong and we’re all pussies nowadays because we don’t do anything they used to do. Including putting extra E’s on of the ende of stuffe that doesn’t neede it. And why didn’t they squat? Because there were no steroids back then.

I know some of you trolls out there are going to say that there are only 9 reasons there. First of all, remember my Mathology Doctorate and stfu. Second, you’re probably all on steroids. Therefore, nothing you have to say regarding training is evenly remotely applicable to us natty lifters.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't even know where to begin with this article. This is a joke, right?

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
<---- he just turned into Satan after reading this.

AAA

Reaction score
Squats without doubt is the best excersise in the world, anyone who says different is jealous they can't squat and blame the increase in muscle and strength to steroids totally discrediting the squat!

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
LOL, this is classic. Well played, PoB.

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
LOL..... mathology hahahahaha - good shit POB.

Respect,
Vette

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Fuck SEALs. Now I am angry and I am going to my monolift for a hug. I will see you guys later...

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I havent squatted in 4 years due to achilles injury..ive noticed my legs smaller and not as strong

Reaction score
by CHRISTOPHER SMITH on FEBRUARY 18, 2013
• Squatting is too hard on the central nervous system. Squatting more than once a month will totally burn out your CNS and lead to overtraining. Nobody in the history of lifting has ever been successful by squatting more than once a week MAX. Nobody. I dare you to find one. The Bulgarians were all on steroids.

true story bro. one time I was doing triples and my CNS burned out so hard it set my cap on fire. (and steroids)

#TheMatrix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
....I squat twice a week. dead lift twice a week. and also good mornings twice a week.
I feel like its not over training
it just feels awesome leaving the gym walking all fucked up and the next day. using the washroom is torture.
I love it. its a way of life. its a life style.

our life style.

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Right on Sparticus.

For some of the year, like right now, I squat 3x/WK. Light, Med, and Heavy day. Shit like this is written by someone who can't squat plain and simple.

Getting a hefty squat is work, hard fucking work. It takes everything a man has to do sets above 315lbs for multiple reps and multiple sets and THEN move on to the next exercise. Try doing some cleans or deads on a 5x5 squat day or a 10x3 day. That's what separates the men from the boys.

G

Georgia

Where is scientific research to back all of this up?

Whoever wrote this...I only have one thing to say..."DO YOU EVEN FUCKING LIFT..........................FAGGOT"

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Where is scientific research to back all of this up?

Whoever wrote this...I only have one thing to say..."DO YOU EVEN FUCKING LIFT..........................FAGGOT"

Did you even read it? he gives his credentials right here...

If my math is correct, and according to my PhD. in Mathology from the correspondence college of Nigeria it is, the following formula illustrates my point perfectly:

L2*Sq=(R3/3I)531

I won’t bore you by actually explaining what any of that means in terms that any normal person could actually understand. Just suffice it to say that back squats are terrible for you spine. Anyone who says differently is probably on steroids.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
anyone saying not to squat needs help in my book

grizzldsealpoacher

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I know a navy seal and he says squats ROCK! Classic case of a man with a vagina trying to make his pitiful reality someone else's . weak bs propaganda will give other manvag's an excuse not to squat. My program allows for 5x5 squats 5 days a week :) making huge gains in the legs LOVE IT.

New Threads