different way to warm gear

Capt'n Ron

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have been warming up my gear by letting the vials stand in hot water for a few minutes before drawing it up. With the barrel being cold and fumbling around a bit things were pretty cool before I was pushing it. Lately I have been drawing everything up and putting the cover back on the draw pin. I take a dish cloth and completely wet it then ring it out and microwave it for a minute. I roll the barrel up in the smoking hot cloth and let it sit for a few minutes. Just before I pin it and after I have the site all prepped and clean I switch to a fresh needle. The oil flows really nice and things are smooth and easy.

I had read about dropping the filled barrel and all into a tall glass of hot water but that kind of sketched me out because of possible water intrusion and contamination.

g0re

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What I do is turn my electric burner on the stove on around 2-3, place the files right on it for a few mins until the glass is almost too hot to touch.

The oil will be warm enough, and stays warm in the barrel long enough.

g0re

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
And by files, I mean viles.

R1rider

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I put my vials in a electric hot pad and wrap them up. They get nice and warm and the gear flows easy. You could also use a hair dryer at low

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Till uses his super laser vision to warm his gear.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Heat it in hot enough water and you won't have to worry about a cold syringe.

You don't wanna fuck with the oil in the syringe much especially with certain solvents.

Capt'n Ron

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You don't wanna fuck with the oil in the syringe much especially with certain solvents.

This is why this board is so great! I really thought the way I was describing was much better than heating gear in the vial. Hot plastic plus solvents does sound like something to avoid.

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have come a conclusion: I must be too dumb to know the difference between cold gear and warm gear.

g0re

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have come a conclusion: I must be too dumb to know the difference between cold gear and warm gear.

The only difference I notice is how easily it flows thru the pin during drawing and injecting

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I hear ya PFM...doing trt for the past couple years I never warmed anything and everything went smoothly everytime. However, my experience with multiple compounds and especially new compounds that I have not used before warming does make a big difference for me.

I appreciate hearing how my SI brothers heat their gear. I take a glass 1/3 filled with water and warm it for 40 seconds in the microwave. You do have to be carefull though the first time I overheated the water and literally blew the top off one of my vials. You only want to warm the water. You don't want it to boil or get to hot. I let my vials sit in the very warm water for 3 minutes (timed). I draw into a cold pin and inject.

Reaction score
What I do is turn my electric burner on the stove on around 2-3, place the files right on it for a few mins until the glass is almost too hot to touch.

I do this aswell

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hot water in a coffee mug here. Vial in the mug for a couple of minutes, pin fills easily and pins smooth as a baby's bottom.

If you pre-load and want to warm the oil already in the barrel, a minute with a hair dryer does the trick.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
under the sink... take the pin off the barrel.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

I just use the tiny gas tourch that I
Use to melt down my crack with.
Just put the flame on the bottom of
The vile until the glass gets red hot.
When you stick your pin in the vile
The pressure from the heat inside
Will actually draw the oil into the
syringe For you. It's easy.=))

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

I think it's a seasonal thing,... Kind of
Like drinking hot chocolate in the winter.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
It depends on what your pinning

If I pin something that lumps me and can cause pip heat and rubbing the injection spot after works well but not if you pin it fast.

New Threads