As an homage to the NFL Combine now underway...

Cashout

Reaction score
I started my Chest Routine yesterday with straight Flat Bench @ 225 for Max Reps

Set 1 = 27 Reps X 225
Set 2 = 20 Reps X 225
Set 3 = 15 Reps X 225
Set 4 = 15 Reps X 225

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Why do they do this? I don't understand it. Seems like a weird way to determine if you're good at football...

Those are some great numbers though Cash.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
MY boy Cushing killed this part of the combine few years back..New Jersey=Champ

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Damn Cash 77 reps at 225 is 17,325 pounds you moved. NICE

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
id like to 15 reps of 225.

R1rider

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I started my Chest Routine yesterday with straight Flat Bench @ 225 for Max Reps

Set 1 = 27 Reps X 225
Set 2 = 20 Reps X 225
Set 3 = 15 Reps X 225
Set 4 = 15 Reps X 225

^^ impressive Cash. I can barely get 25 reps @ 225lbs myself on a good day.

Do you max out? whats your max?

R1rider

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Why do they do this? I don't understand it. Seems like a weird way to determine if you're good at football...

They do it to measure strength and muscle endurance. Not the best way as there are many other ways. It sucks to rep out 225 if your tall or have a huge wingspan

R1rider

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
raw strength endurance measure

Cashout

Reaction score

You are 100% correct - it is plain ridiculous that they use this as an assessment. When are you EVER as a football player lying on your back push upward? NEVER!

Football is all leverage and technique. It has nothing to do with reps on a bench or even max weight.

I did this to prove a point to a neighbor yesterday. He was bragging about one of the guys in the combine that played ball with his kid in college. The kid is a stud TE and will be playing in the NFL on Sundays. The kid 6' 4" @ 252 lbs did 18 reps with 225.

I commented that that was nothing. He issued the obligatory "challenge" and then we when to my house and into the gym so I could prove my point.

Needless to say, I finished up this conversation 27 reps later by tell him, "See, how many times one can do 225 means nothing in terms of playing football now give me my $100 please."

Cashout

Reaction score
^^ impressive Cash. I can barely get 25 reps @ 225lbs myself on a good day.

Do you max out? whats your max?

I've not maxed in more than 20 years. I never do straight set flat bench. I did this to prove a point to a neighbor who was talking out of his backside about things of which he has zero knowledge.

mattyice

Reaction score
You are 100% correct - it is plain ridiculous that they use this as an assessment. When are you EVER as a football player lying on your back push upward? NEVER!

Football is all leverage and technique. It has nothing to do with reps on a bench or even max weight.

I did this to prove a point to a neighbor yesterday. He was bragging about one of the guys in the combine that played ball with his kid in college. The kid is a stud TE and will be playing in the NFL on Sundays. The kid 6' 4" @ 252 lbs did 18 reps with 225.

I commented that that was nothing. He issued the obligatory "challenge" and then we when to my house and into the gym so I could prove my point.

Needless to say, I finished up this conversation 27 reps later by tell him, "See, how many times one can do 225 means nothing in terms of playing football now give me my $100 please."

for OL and DL... push off is 99% of the game, considering they train to hold a block for 4 ct. While it does not define a players abilty, it will define his limitations.

Cashout

Reaction score
for OL and DL... push off is 99% of the game, considering they train to hold a block for 4 ct. While it does not define a players abilty, it will define his limitations.

Not to be augmentative but I'll assert after doing some research on every first round OL and DL drafted in he past 20 years that it the max rep 225 bench press doesn't even define the limitations of an OL of DL - Chris Samuels - 18 reps on bench 10 year career - 6 time Pro-Bowler, Warren Sapp, HOF - 16 reps, the list goes on and on...

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not to be augmentative but I'll assert after doing some research on every first round OL and DL drafted in he past 20 years that it the max rep 225 bench press doesn't even define the limitations of an OL of DL - Chris Samuels - 18 reps on bench 10 year career - 6 time Pro-Bowler, Warren Sapp, HOF - 16 reps, the list goes on and on...

Ask any football player what helps the most in the gym and they'll tell you it's the Deadlift.

R1rider

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
^^ x2

but dont forget, cleans, snatch and squats also

G

Georgia

Hey Cash, the reps for these were they clean or momentum driven from a bounce off of the chest? Watching the NFL combine they all bounce they bar up and drop it hard on the chest to get it back up. Never see them do it clean straight up and down with no momentum.

Cashout

Reaction score
Just like every other set that I ever do - feeling and form come first. No bouncing, butt bridging, bench bellying the weight.

New Threads