opening a sports nutrition store in my area

Reaction score
Hello every one its been a while since i have been on here. Mainly because i am in the process of trying to open my own nutrition store in my area. i was hoping some of my brothers and sisters here wouldnt mind giving me a hand..i need a little in put for what products everyone feels i should carry..like what are the top rated products to carry. i will be carrying everyday healthy living products , pre work outs ,intra work out, post work out , aminos, proteins ,creatines, test boosters, pro hormones, multi's ..you name it i will try to in corporate it..only problem is there is so much out there that im having problems choosing so i want to ask the people who know best. i have a distribution company that carrys just about everything so im looking for the top rated weight loss , top rated pro hormones (legal), top rated proteins ...such and such..this store is basically gonna be a cheaper version of a gnc and with better products that actually work cause we all know not everything does work..so any help would be greatly appreciated

Tilltheend

Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't know what would be a big hit for you to carry. There are a few places out there that have really cheap supplements. I do not know if it is against board rules or not to name them to you. The thing is there are so many places out there as it is your best bet is to open a local shop and have an online shop as well. I do not know if it would be a good career move right now.

Reaction score
the area i am opening a shop in only has one nutrition store out there ..gnc...it brought in 500,000 profit last year and has no competition..ill be there only competition and my goal is to carry stuff that everyone knows works but sell it cheaper then gnc would so i i would then get there business

grind4it

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My advise is to go with brands like Intek (protein etc) and Reaction Nutrition (PH and supports) this are brands that DO NOT sell on the Internet. If you carry the brands that BB.com carries prepare to go out of business. The brands I listed are the best of the best and are not price whore brands.

Spongy is a good resource for more information I would hit him up.

I've been in the business world most of my life and God has blessed me with the gift of making money. IMO, getting into the supplement game at the brick and mortar level is almost certain death. I rank it right next to the restaurant business. Be careful brother and good luck.

grind4it

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Just curious; how do you know that location brought in $500K in profit? Also, is this a net profit (profit after direct materials) or is this a net, net profit (what the franchisee put in his/her pocket)?

the area i am opening a shop in only has one nutrition store out there ..gnc...it brought in 500,000 profit last year and has no competition..ill be there only competition and my goal is to carry stuff that everyone knows works but sell it cheaper then gnc would so i i would then get there business

Reaction score
well to be honest i worked at this store i was an employee there for about a year lol. So i saw everything going in and going out it was net profit after expense was paid they are projected to make 1.3 mill this year due to how sales are going and the market is increasing every year dramatically. being that i was the top salesman at this location i know how to sell really well....before i got there the store was ranked 600's out of 3000 stores and because of me and one of my friends being really good at selling the products we moved into the top 30's out of 3000 stores and number 1 in our region. I feel that if i apply the knowledge i have i can do really well here..also i have an amazing location with tons of foot traffic ..i couldnt get a better spot if i won the lottery..im in a parking lot with a walmart...french riviera gym...6 different food restuarants and a few clothing stores. the area im in people like to support local business and would rather go into a store and buy their products then order online and wait for it...i feel it will kill

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Email me, lets talk

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
research chemicals for rats

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
GNC prices are ridiculous. You should
Be able to easily take away their customer
Base. If they are the only store around
You might do ok. But like others have said
It's very competitive.
I use alot of supplements. I've tried them all
Ill post up later when I have time
What products I think are good.

sfstud33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Beyond the brands you need make sure people know what they need and why. Put up glossy signs that say " top 5 muscle building products" and "top weight loss and toning products"

Educate people about what the products are. Don't leave it to them to figure out. You may need lists for teens, adult, mid lifers and seniors with your recommendations. For example lots of teens doing track have no idea what and when to tAke.

Just my 2c!!!!!

Curiosity

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes, what will set apart a local business from a chain is having a highly educated and trained staff, and having personal relationships with local customers. That's what will make people prefer going to you over GNC.

One brand that I'm fond of is Optimum Nutrition, I know pretty much everyone carries them but their protein products are top notch, and from everything I've seen their label claims match what's actually in their products, which is more than can be said about some other supplement companies.

Good luck brother.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would stay away from Muscle tech's, BSN's, Cytosport, etc etc.

the big guys. they are over priced and low quality IMHO. I rep lots of supplement sites and companies elsewhere online. You need to develop a following some how some way.

maybe just the guys in the local gyms or in the town/city.

i would stock a lot of bulk no name stuff. thats all that i will buy now days.

mistah187

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
allmax is a great line. i use almost everything they have out.

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would stay away from Muscle tech's, BSN's, Cytosport, etc etc.

the big guys. they are over priced and low quality IMHO. I rep lots of supplement sites and companies elsewhere online. You need to develop a following some how some way.

maybe just the guys in the local gyms or in the town/city.

i would stock a lot of bulk no name stuff. thats all that i will buy now days.

I agree with gym rat about avoiding those overpriced supps he listed, and buying bulk powder, that is all I buy anymore too. Another thing you need to soul search is, and this is my personal experience, and I have been in sales for 20years now. Is yes GNC brings in the money, but they don't know what there are talking about, and take advantage of people who are willing to buy a magic pill. And there is a sucker born every minute, especially in the supplement/nutrition industry. You have to decide if you are in it to "Really" help people, and gain customer loyalty, referrals and ultimately a good living......Or be like GNC and hustle products to the masses with blatant disregard to your customer. Choose to help people, the profits will grow.....and so will your shop.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree with gym rat about avoiding those overpriced supps he listed, and buying bulk powder, that is all I buy anymore too. Another thing you need to soul search is, and this is my personal experience, and I have been in sales for 20years now. Is yes GNC brings in the money, but they don't know what there are talking about, and take advantage of people who are willing to buy a magic pill. And there is a sucker born every minute, especially in the supplement/nutrition industry. You have to decide if you are in it to "Really" help people, and gain customer loyalty, referrals and ultimately a good living......Or be like GNC and hustle products to the masses with blatant disregard to your customer. Choose to help people, the profits will grow.....and so will your shop.

this

x2x....

Reaction score

this x's3.

TheLupinator

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Protein/Aminos/Prewrk, etc: Optimum Nutrition, MusclePharm, Champion Nutrition, Dymatize

Healthy living supplements: NOW supplements

Prohormones: LGI, IronMagLabs, IronFlex

oldskool954

Reaction score
Test e test p c tren etc. all the goodys

Nah jk man good luck with your venture bro.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Protein/Aminos/Prewrk, etc: Optimum Nutrition, MusclePharm, Champion Nutrition, Dymatize

Healthy living supplements: NOW supplements

Prohormones: LGI, IronMagLabs, IronFlex

PH's can be great or cause problems cuz the dumbass's that run em. watch out for those.

Reaction score
yes guys i completely agree with everything you are saying..i do plan on staying away from bsn and most of the big names i am already looking to carry just about everything that op nutrition carries. and being that i have worked at gnc for over a year in the same area that im opening my store i have built up a pretty good relationship with alot of the customers..those of which i do work out with and see in the local gym. 2 of my employees are very knowledgeable like myself about supplements and one of them just became a sponsored athlete by ax supplements. He is a powerlifter...strong as hell and everyone in our area know and love him. he is on his way to becoming pro and has made friends with big names like garret griffin who holds the world bench press record for 535 pounds ..which as a matter of fact just broke his own record at the arnold classic..550 is his new record and for our grand opening him and a few other sponsored athletes will be hosting a powerlifting meet in the parking lot for my grandopening so id like to think we are coming into the supplement retail with a bang. I also do plan on trying to help people find the right stuff cause god knows ..most dont know shit about supplements for what activity or goal. i didnt like how pushy gnc was and this is what gave me my motivation to do this. this is also the reason i dont work for them anymore..they are very crooked people..not all bust most are and the scary thing is that some actually believe the bullshit they are selling

New Threads