Thanks
    Thanked 6,986 Times in 2,993 Posts

Last Nights UFC Notes

Struve is reported to have a broken Jaw:
    --Struve is screwed, hes too skinny to be trading punches with the big boys. He is not far from being maxed out as 265er. He will still be skinny. Skinny doesnt cut it when you get over 170 with bare knuckle type gloves IMO.

Wand KOs Stan:
    --Stan is a class act out in and out of the cage. Never been a fan of his stand in front of anyone strategy. Wand is not Bisping, he may be old, over worked and exploited but still very aggressive and dangerous. Brian looked smaller in this fight? May have been a factor. I wouldnt be supprised to hear he was ill before this fight. He looked terrible at the weigh ins. Looked like he had a bad weight cut.

Lombard beaten again:
    --Not only beaten again but it appears he was out worked agian. I dont believe he is lazy, his strategy at this level is not good, I think its effecting his performance. A Judo player/Boxer is not a good combo at this level IMO, unless youve got a heavy dose of Thai in there. The clinch is not a boxers strong point in a sport where clinching and striking with knees are allowed. Ill put my $$ on a boxer having better hands than anyone but when there are 7 other body parts flying its time to consider some new tools. See the Edgar/Aldo fight as proof.

Thanks

Re: Last Nights UFC Notes

stann is a class act, and the ax murder may be old but he can still bang. struve looks like a stork, he can't let guys pound on his face, got to go to the ground.

Thanks

I agree, stan did look a lil small at 205. But still all and all those two put on a pretty exciting match up.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 4,910 Posts

Great analysis here, BGH. Okami most definitely displayed a fuller tool-chest than Lombard, and Lombard seemed content to head-hunt and look for the 1-punch KO. Lombard needs a new camp, IMO in order to reach his fullest potential.

Vandy looked legitimately touched to be headlining in Japan, and I think he knows his time is short in the MMA game. Stann is a fighter's fighter and much respect to him for being willing to stand & trade with the original Berserker. Wand proved he's still got enough in the tank to get the job done, I'm just hoping someone in his camp is in his ear reminding him that he's taken a lot of wear & tear and it might be time to transition to coaching full-time. I'd hate to see him go-out with a serious injury, brain damage or the like. Retiring after winning in front of his adopted home crowd would be a fitting end to a legendary career, IMO.

Struve still does not know how to use his tremendous height and reach advantage. Hunt practically needed a step-ladder to connect, but connect he did. I'd set-up Struve with Duke Rufus and put some snap on that jab as well as some technique behind his knees in the clinch. he should be destroying people ala Semmy Schilt but instead he's struggling to protect his chin.

Decent card overall, great headliner. Props to both fighters.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,007 Times in 550 Posts

I don't think struve is too skinny, I think he's uncoordinated..when he can't keep distance with his jab it's because of his shit footwork, gotta be able to throw punches moving backwards, especially when you're are fighting heavyweights who are mostly pressure fighters.

I don't think stan is explosive enough, footwork is crap, head movement crap..

Lombard... well I don't want to take anything away from Okami, he's a tough grinder, not exciting but hard to deal with. Lombard needs to drop to 170, he can't hang with middleweights at 5'8
    I <3 My Source

Thanks
    Thanked 8,115 Times in 4,363 Posts

struve is a big tall goofy bastard..I love Hunt old school!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,986 Times in 2,993 Posts

Noble you speak the truth. Very impressive comparison to Shultz, except long before there was Steven Segal and Black House there was Shultz properly representing and doing damage (to the body) with the front kick 13 yrs ago. Oh, Pride is who IMO ruined Wand putting him up againsts top heavyweights on a regular basis. Not cool for your 5 yr undefeated 205 champ to be fighting 300 lb fighters and Cro Cop.

Multi- Sorry bro, your my boy but at this size Struve will never be Frankie Edgar or Anderson. Footwork for big guys is over rated at times (Dos Santos being an exception) . Especially when the other guy knows Struve doesnt have enough ass in his britches to stand the guy back up and stop him. Ala Cain vs Brock.

Bundy I know you know your shit

Goodfella-OMG thank you for reminding everyone that Stan looked small. He usually looks huge. Especially next to Wand who isnt as big as he was pre testing in Japan

Ken your a class act and Struve needs to learn to dunk or lift weights.