Diet opinion for growing

Reaction score
I feel like I'm always eating but maybe I'm not be doin it right so I'm going to lay out my typical day. And if you could critique and give me some thoughts on what I can change.
31yo 196 12-14bf

530 am 1 scoop syntha 6 6tbl spoons of egg whites and 5mg or creatine.

700 am coffee cream no sugar ( sometimes 1 sugar) 1 cup of oatmeal 3tblsp of coconut mana with fruit or crasins

900am 3 tbsp of almond butter 1 servin or raw almonds, eggs - 2 whole /2 whites w/ alittle hot sauce, orange juice

1100am 1/2 cup brown rice, cup of vegi, chicken, steak, or lean beef 6-8 oz

1140am pre work- no xplode 1 scoop (ATM)

12-1pm intra- extends 1 scoop (ATM)

1-130 pm 1 scoop syntha 6 - either a tuna sandwich, pbj, or another meal like rice/vegi/meat

430pm dinner= rice/ vegi/meat

800pm bowl of Cheerios 3 servings 1scoop syntha 6

Reaction score
This is just typical. I cheat with things like pizza, and pastas for dinner. It's really what ever the wife cooks but its usually not terrible to eat.

No fast food.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I look at this and I don't see much food. You're not having a meal until 11am. Protein powder is not a substitute for food.

Four1Thr33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Try and get your diet into proper macros
40/40/20
Pro/carb/fat

Protien shakes are good post workout due to being in an anabolic state and its absorbed quickly

And id add more meals in there, like maybe some steak or beef at 10
Also I'd drop the night time Cheerios, carbs are an energy source and I don't see any real reason for them at night

Reaction score
I eat the Cheerios at night because I'm hungry.
My 9 o clock meal used to be chicken rice vegi.
But I stopped that and added what you see instead.

Reaction score
So ill get back on my 9-12-3-6
1/2 cup of rice cup of vegi 6-8oz of meat/chicken/steak etc

I seen zero weight gains doing this for 6 months. But maybe if I get my macros right (40/40/20 like suggested above maybe ill see something.

metsfan4life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
agree with POB on the food issue, you have got to get some real food in there. And dont use shakes as the source either. I did this last summer, 4 shakes a day rather than meals and my kidney levels were through the roof. If you are looking for some gains,you got to put some good solid food in the belly. 40/40/20 should work well after coming off that proposed diet. on another hand, give Spongy a ring and see if you want to set up a professional to help you out.

coltmc4545

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok this diet looks like my fiancés diet no lie. She's 5'9" 135lbs with abs. She's taking in 4oz of meat and 65g (1/2 cup) of brown rice or other complex carbs like sweet potatoes. She just cut her carbs down because she's prepping for a show. So no wonder you can't gain weight. You're eating like a 135lb woman. Try getting a minimum of 35 grams of protien with every meal 6 times a day. A minimum of 50 g of carbs at every meal until 3-5 pm and then no carbs, and more good fats. Cut out the sandwiches and throw in more steak chicken and turkey. If you have a hard time eating all the food cut out the veggies. Only time I eat veggies is when she makes em in a meal and most of the time I request there be none. Just worry about meat, sweet potatoes, and almonds or coconut oil and you'll grow.

Curiosity

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd say yes, eat as many whole food meals as possible, 4 meals a day of meat/carb/veggie should be a good start... and if you aren't gaining any weight, eat more carbs at each meal. 1/2 cup of rice sounds light to me, I've found that when I'm bulking, adding carbs will often do the trick.

carbs are protein sparing, if you are getting enough or too many carbs, your body can use all of the protein to build muscle rather than having to burn it for energy.

Reaction score
When I did the 9/12/3/6 it was a cup of rice and vegi. Never gained even a pound over 195
My metabolism is insane.
Before I stared working out I was 170 pounds eat garbage food.
Started working out and eating good food. And got to 195 ish( almost 2 years later)

So my current diet keeps me alittle lean and maintain my weight. So saying its for 135 pound woman is slightly wrong, i know what i look like if i eat to much... poop.
But I know it's not enough for me to gain the weight and keep it during the cycle I'm planning.

I'm not super strict either last night I smashed a Fridays burger, fries, broccoli and salmon.
What's I listed above is what I eat 80% time. But I need to ramp up to solid diet that's 100% of the time for the next 6 months.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Reaction score
I'm gonna map out a diet 40/40/20 keep the oats in morning and start my meals 9/12/3/6 (these time fluctuate alittle +\- 30 min due to work and meetings)
And I need to find something to eat before bed.

Shakes ill keep at 530 /post work out / and before bed. I also drink these shakes with milk and egg whites.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Why 40/40/20?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna map out a diet 40/40/20 keep the oats in morning and start my meals 9/12/3/6 (these time fluctuate alittle +\- 30 min due to work and meetings)
And I need to find something to eat before bed.

Shakes ill keep at 530 /post work out / and before bed. I also drink these shakes with milk and egg whites.

Not flamin this is a legit curiosity of mine...

Why are you clinging to shakes? A scoop post workout is about all I will use and I am 5'11" and weigh 260 albeit chubby :)

230's is where I look good though.

Colt made a great post above.

coltmc4545

SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Why are you clinging to shakes? A scoop post workout is about all I will use and I am 5'11" and weigh 260 albeit chubby :)

Because that's also what the magazines and supplement companies says works :)

OP I wasn't talking shit. I help prep all my woman's meals for her. Training days, non training days, and refeed days. Your macros break down to what her training days are. She takes in more carbs on refeed days. You aren't growing because you aren't eating. Metabolism is an excuse for people that don't eat enough. If you're eating every 3 hours your metabolism will speed up so I could use that excuse too. I'm not flaming you but I was also the guy that blamed being stuck under 200 on my metabolism. Then I got serious about diet and grew like a mofo. I've been there myself so I'm not talking shit to you I'm speaking from experience. I'm not saying increase cals and carbs by a ton right off the bat because you will look sloppy. Increase them gradually and you will grow and stay lean.

And POB you're still a sexy chunkster. I'd dip you in chocolate sauce and cool whip.

Cashout

Reaction score

This ^^^^

I've not had a "shake" in more than 15 years.

The problem I see, again, is the "guess work" going on here.

Every meal should be an exact proportion measured on a scale or by volume. Otherwise you are shooting in the dark.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think this is a Macro split that worked for one person, once... And many nutritionists are too lazy to go out and actually figure out what their clients need. Every single body is different and there is no magical macro split. The diet that works (incredibly well!) for Cashout may not work very well for me and vice-versa.

This is what I have been told for a long time... What are your thoughts

New Threads