Best way to get BF%

Reaction score
What is the most accurate way of getting this? At my gym they have this thing its like a Video game controller you hold on to it and it gives you a reading but it is def way off!

Last week said i was 19% bf and today said 26% bf, did it 5 mins later said i was 23%bf!!

I was like WTF!! Any more accurate ways or ideas?

goodfella

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Those things aren't very accurate. I mirror would probably be more helpful...

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What is the most accurate way of getting this? At my gym they have this thing its like a Video game controller you hold on to it and it gives you a reading but it is def way off!

Last week said i was 19% bf and today said 26% bf, did it 5 mins later said i was 23%bf!!

You probably caused the device to go
Haywire, and it was trying to correct
It's self. with all of the fat asses in the
Gym these days it's probably used to
Reading people in the 30-49% range.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
A water tank is the most accurate way to measure body fat.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have one of those little electronic caliper deals. You pick the place for the measurements Top(chest), middle(belly) , lower(thigh). It gives you the average.

grind4it

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Agreed the water tank is by far the most accurate method.

If you don't have access to a tank, I think the picture method used with the body calipers will give you very close to accurate method of judging your body fat.

If I were forced to rely on only one of the two (pictures or body calipers) methods I would personally choose the picture method. Let’s face it; it doesn’t matter what you or the calipers say your body fat is, it’s what the rest of the world sees when you take your shirt off.

Here they are in the order I agree with. With that said, it doesn’t mean I’m right:

http://thisiswhyyourejacked.com/a-body-fat-percent-picture-guide

http://team4orce.com/blog/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages/

http://www.4hourlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Estimate-your-body-fat-Eyeballing-It-Male.pdf

A water tank is the most accurate way to measure body fat.

Four1Thr33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Damn do I wish there was a tank near me

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Did someone say get crunked? ;)

Vette

Cashout

Reaction score
A Dexa Scanner that uses a 4 factor weighted model for muscle, fat, bone, and water.

Dexa uses radial X-ray scanning to image the body. I have one across from my office here on campus.

You can get some very in-depth analysis. See below...

1281_scan.jpg

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Curiosity

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have a handheld bioelectric impedence (video game controller) BF monitor. I do agree that it isn't greatly accurate, because basically how it works is that they took readings for a large group of people, then did real BF tests on them, averaged out that data, and created a formula to calculate BF based on the average. So unless you're perfectly average in every way, it won't be completely accurate. But it can tell you if you're gaining or losing BF if you consistently take measurements under the correct conditions.

For one thing, drinking water can throw it way off. They advise using it first thing in the morning before drinking any water. If you're using it in the gym while you pound water the results are likely to be all over the place.

I got it because its cheap and it gives me a ballpark to work with, and if it said I was 11% a month ago and now it says I'm 12.5%, I can safely assume my BF has actually gone up, although I wouldn't necessarily believe that I'm exactly 12.5% BF.

Cashout

Reaction score
Sonofa! I can't find a place that does hydrostatic testing in my area.

Here is a link to a mobile test in some areas. http://www.bodyfattest.com/

There is also something called the Bod Pod. I have read in a study though that this under estimates BF%. http://www.befittest.com/

Also unsure where I would find a Dexa Scanner or the cost. I found this place in CA that does them & not too spendy. http://www.bodycompositioncenter.com/facility.html

Tier I Research universities with a highly ranked Physiology & Kinesiology Department. Are you near a university?

username1

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you go to somebody that knows how to do it accuratly a skin caliper test is almost as accurate as under water testing. I had both done last summer and the underwater testing showed - 15.79% and skin caliper test - 15.74% so they were very close. Also, after I did that underwater test, I will never do it again lol it's no fun at all, you have to sit in this chair indian style, which is in the water, then you have to dunk your head in the water completely and bring your head in towards your stomach as close as possible, then you have to exhale all the air that you're holding in, and after all the air has been exhaled you have to hold it there for a few seconds until the guy makes a tapping sound then you can come up. It took me several tries to get it, if you don't exhale all your air, or if you come back up before you hear the tapping, then you have to do it over again. they also need you to do it about 3 times correctly to get the average reading.

As close as the skin caliper test was I'm not doing that underwater test again lol

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Tier I Research universities with a highly ranked Physiology & Kinesiology Department. Are you near a university?

South of Boston Area. So, there are quite a few around.

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Best way to gain bodyfat is to order a roast beef 3 way with extra mayo and extra sauce

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Best way to gain bodyfat is to order a roast beef 3 way with extra mayo and extra sauce

Reaction score

DXA scan is 99% accurate. BodPod is bullshit; +/- 5% error. DXA can be done for like $100 at most places that do them.

Reaction score
South of Boston Area. So, there are quite a few around.

Search for "The Imaging Institute". (I'd link you but don't have enough posts). They're in Providence, and they have all types of scans available. A buddy got his DEXA scan there for <$100

Their address:
1500 Mineral Spring Avenue
North Providence, RI

New Threads