Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Squats- how the hell

I lurk around here and read more so than i post, and i see people posting their squat routines (4x10 at 325lb)

For me, no way i could get that. If i take my squats all the way down (calves to hams), im lucky if i can get 4 sets of 200.

Problem is that i have been training for years, about 4 consistently, and i still push the same weight, although my form has improved.

Ive been training legs once a week, and every other muscle group once a week.

I also run 3 days a week.

What should i do to get better, drop the running? train legs more often? ill listen.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,410 Times in 1,185 Posts

Re: Squats- how the hell

Get some tren, and some chuck Taylor's. it will go up. Lol. Well legs are weird cause they're such a big muscle. Heavy leg presses helped me. Like sets of 3 reps.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 4,910 Posts

For me, squats improved once I started hitting leg extensions before them (not specifically pre-exhausting the quads, although I do that as well from time to time; but more to fill the quads with blood before hitting squats).

Agree also with BigHerm re: heavy leg presses have good carry-over to bigger squat lbs.

Diet of course is a tremendous factor in gaining strength as well.

Focus on form, keep adding weight as you are comfortable progressing without sacrificing form. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Thanks

Heavy leg presses worked for me and when I squat I will drop weight on my last set and do pause sets. I go to the bottom and pause for 2-3 seconds and do as many as I can. I've also loaded the bar up and have done quarter reps just to feel the weight on my back this I believe has helped me a lot.

Thanks

Instead of doing sets of ten, try lowering your reps and increasing your weight each set slightly.
    "There are only two days in the year nothing can be done. One is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow"

Thanks

I have the same problem. Im maxed out at 225 - and i see other guys doing 315 and im like wtf? It annoys me when they are only 20!!

I'll try hitting the leg press before squats. To be honest, its probably time that i just suck it up and up the weights. I did that on arms a few months ago and im already starting to see the benefit.
    Powered by food, raw ambition, and an awesome woman.

Thanks

How is your leg development? Do you have big developed legs? IS that the goal or is lifting a lot of weight the goal? That is the first thing to determine.

Now I'll add this, for me, squatting is about a comfortable body position. Physiologically, I just have the right body design to squat and I found how to manage it very early on in my bodybuilding career.

People always comment on how high I ride the bar on my traps. That always forces me to keep my back almost straight up. There is very little incline forward in my body when I squat. For me, this keeps the weight spread over my shoulder structure and feels like a "harness" to me. I am most comfortable lowering my hips and buttocks right over my heels so that my trunk stays in line with my heels with very little tilt forward.

These positions are important for me not because of how much I can squat but because they feel most natural. Again, that position may not work for others but my point is finding you own natural position will enable you to get comfortable and add a degree of fluidity to your lifting as opposed to fighting your body while you lift.

I have seen thousands of guys squatting over the years and I always can tell the difference between the ones who have found a comfortable body position and those that have not.

Most of the time I see guys who are fighting their own body as they try to squat. I think that has to be an extra effort in the process as a whole.

So, make sure as you squat you find your comfort position. Don't try to emulate someone else's position find your own. It will be the most natural feeling to you and it should help you lift the weight while not wasting energy trying to fit to form.

Thanks

I always do leg extensions first to warm
    Up my legs, I start light and then go as
    Heavy as I can on them by the 4th or 5th
    Set.
    If you want big legs you need to increase
    Your wight on every set of squats, even
    If its only 5 or 10 pounds per side.
    Do 10 reps your first set then increase
    Your wight and get 8 reps, increase again
    And get 6. Don't worry so much about
    The reps increasing the weight will
    Build size and strength. It takes time
    Work your way up slowly.
    Same thing with the other leg exercises.
    A lot of guys always do 4x10 and wonder
    Why its hard to do more weight when they
    Try. Triple drop sets on your last set
    Works well also.
    I remember when I first started training
    This method took me from doing 80lbs
    On leg extensions to stacking the machine
    A 25lb plate per side on hack squats to
    7-45lb plates per side... Ect.
    Good luck.

Thanks

i never seen leg development until i strarted going heavy. when i started deadlifting for max outs my legs had their best growth spurt.
    Stay consistent!

Thanks

I would drop the running and sprint instead. If you want your squat numbers to go up, you will have to gain more mass, size and eat more.

Work on your form with low weight. Once you get that right, you can add more weight. Check out westside barbell and videos on youtube about squats.

Most of all, keep doing them. Warm up, stretch, and squat. Try all kinds, front, back, zercher, box squats etc.

I found that working on my hams more as well as doing more dead lifts improved my squat

Thanks

low reps and heavy weight will help. Warm up with like 135x10 for like 2 sets and then do sets with 2-3 reps max and adjust your weights accordingly

Thanks
    Thanked 5,397 Times in 2,263 Posts

Originally Posted by Floribama View Post
    I lurk around here and read more so than i post, and i see people posting their squat routines (4x10 at 325lb)

For me, no way i could get that. If i take my squats all the way down (calves to hams), im lucky if i can get 4 sets of 200.

Problem is that i have been training for years, about 4 consistently, and i still push the same weight, although my form has improved.

Ive been training legs once a week, and every other muscle group once a week.

I also run 3 days a week.

What should i do to get better, drop the running? train legs more often? ill listen.
    Drop the running it's burning what your trying to bulid, I went from 216 to 270 by removing cardio at one time.
    Knock Em Down and Keep Em Down!

Thanks

My quads blew up when I strengthened my hamstrings and glutes. Made all the difference in the world..al;so leg presses and leg extensions as well. Lways try and be lifting heavier and heavier. What also helped me was band squats onto a bench as I increased the weight to assist with form..Loved it and had a tremendous effect because as cashout points out, squatting was not a comfortable position for me until I made it so...I still use the bench each week...

Thanks

If any of you can get on a Glute Ham Raise do so it beats the crap out of a extension.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 645 Posts

glute ham raises and box squats. heavy sets bro. I almost refuse to do leg presses. do front squats instead.

Thanks

Like these guys have stated, find your natural body position. Once I did this my squat jumped significantly. For me I keep the bar low on my traps. Make your your heels are planted into the ground and your entire body is tight. Butt out. Another thing that I use occasionally is bodyweight squats on the BOSU ball to strengthen my stabilizer muscles. Good luck!

Thanks

What Cashout said...

I played football competitively at a high level for years and had squats drilled into me from the day I started. I took a hiatus from training for a few years and it honestly took months for me to find my form once i started training again since I hadnt squatted in so long.

I dropped the weight a lot and found what was comfortable for me and once i knew i had found it i started adding the weight back on slowly.

I used to train for the strength because i needed to be able to drive back huge mofos. But now I try to pick a weight and get about 15-20 clean reps. Time under tension is important for building the muscle... not the strength... but either way you will need to find your form before you can raise that weight brother. (Let the EGO drop at the door for the delayed gratification of doing better down the road)

Good luck!

Thanks

Originally Posted by heavydeads83 View Post
    glute ham raises and box squats. heavy sets bro. I almost refuse to do leg presses. do front squats instead.
    Hack sled trumps leg pres IMO but I do like a 45' leg press.

But yes wide stance sitting back on a box and GHR is best strength builder for hams and glutes

Thanks

Drop your reps. Make sure your set up is the same every time. Keep your chest high, arch in your back and keep your upper back really tight, elbows under the bar.
    Don't squat with your "hams to your cavs" that's going to put a lot more tension, on your lower back.
    Force your knees out.
    I would bet your issue is form.

Thanks

If you want your squat to go up get on a proven strength traing program and it will go up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast